Where does this fit?

red750

Of the more than 450 Lazair Lazair aircraft listed on airport-data.com, only about a dozen are outside Canada. At first glance, it appears to be a RAAus type aircraft, but looking closer, it has two engines. In this country, would it be required to register as VH?

lazair.thumb.jpg.83f58099b20092c05e5eeaa5e4cde29b.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone with one of them would be in uncharted territory, wouldn't they? Where does the pilot get his instruction on a single EFATO condition? Or is it, that the thing flies so slow, the crash speed is quite survivable?

(EDIT: Ahh, I just studied up on the machine. Twin chainsaw engines producing 11HP. No need to worry about dangerous flying speeds, I reckon you've have to be careful about being blown backwards in a stiff breeze, despite the application of full throttle!  I also note the design was canned in 1984 due to great concerns about liability issues, and the cost of liability insurance).

Edited by onetrack

The engines are close enough together and of low power 5-10hp that single engine operations would not be as critical as a light GA twin. It might not even have a "blue line speed".

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

They fly very slowly and with the mccoulogh engines it it tough to mishandled at the speeds.  As a twin operating from The Oaks in the heat and with my cream bun fed physical size I was flying around trees a couple of miles south of the strip taking off on 18. Took an age to get to circuit height then came back.  Never tried taking off on 36 because it would not have climbed enough to get out of the rising ground to the north.

Lovely fun plane to fly and with such low speed it would not worry me single engine as it would just have been extending the glide. 

Edited by kasper
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1