What's Hot? • New Mike Busch engine webinar.

Garfly

Don't agree Bosi. Years ago, Jabirus lowered their redline from 200 C to 175 C. I agreed with this even before they did it. My personal aiming temp is 160 degrees C

I think manufacturers feel under pressure to come up with good numbers, like the 200 C was, and some naive people get into trouble by trusting them.

There was a woman who had terrible trouble with her Jabiru engine, and I think this was part of the problem.

• Like 1

I just converted mike Bush's "sweet spot" temps which he has from 350 to 400 F. On my conversions, this translates to 176 to 204 C, which I reckon is 40 degrees  too hot for a Jabiru CHT.

Thruster points out that the Jabiru stuff is not as good as the Lycoming metal, and I agree. I think the gen 4 engine has different metal, does anybody know about the gen 4 head metal?

Yes he did, he said that lycoming etc used "fit for purpose metal" therefore implying that Jabiru did not. I don't really disagree with thruster too much on this matter.

If you tap something hard onto a Lycoming head ( or even a volkswagen for that matter)  you get a sharper ring than with the old jabiru head. I am sure that a hardness test would also show a big difference. But I also suspect that the gen 4 heads are made of a different and harder material.

On rereading that post, I fear I have implied that the older Jabiru cylinder heads were no good.  This is not my real position, which is that the older cylinder heads must be kept cooler than those from harder alloys. Kept cool, they run fine for many years. I have two at 20 years old and going well.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bruce, you are sounding like Scott Morrison.

"Yes he did, he said that lycoming etc used "fit for purpose metal" therefore implying that Jabiru did not."

You could also imply that Rotax and all the other manufacturers did not and I still cannot see any mention of Jabiru in his post.

There's a variation in different models of each make. The best heads are forged and then machined. They are shrunk onto threaded steel cylinders more or less permanently and some of them are nitrided and some are not. Heads for turbocharged models are much thicker in the walls. Most crankshafts are nitrided.  Some have dynamic counterweights  for Torsional damping.  Nev

• Like 1