Most of todays A/C have a GPS of some form, that would get you out of trouble if yr speedo went for a holiday!👍

Pitch+power = perf. Few would get taught that and rarely practice it becoming ever reliant on the pretty glass box full of wizardry.

17 hours ago, Yenn said:

The reason the ASI does not give an accurate figure at low speeds is usually because of the angle of the pitot head to airflow. Back to the old AOA story. You could make it more accurate at low sped by tipping the forward end down a bit, but then high speed would be reading slow.

To get a more accurate reading, I articulated my pitot. A flexible tube had a small A-frame empenage to keep it pointing into the airflow during side slips and at high AoA. Worked okey, but the flimsy wood eventually broke and was removed.

Turbs - you have just referred to heights above ground - your ability to judge hight over terrain must be very well developed or you are using an altimeter.

Further your pilot had already "set the scene" by turning Base (1000ft AGL) airspeed 70 knots (from memory) - you just had to continue the slope/decent, turn final 500ft @ extended runway line,  deploy a bit more flap (or not) use power to maintain glide slope to threshold.

If my new Dynon goes "black"  I dont have any instruments - I figure that a back up ASI will give me enough information (with the sound of the engine/throttle position and limited ability to judge hight above terrain) to get me to the nearest airfield, join pattern, for a safe landing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Turbs - you have just referred to heights above ground - your ability to judge hight over terrain must be very well developed or you are using an altimeter.

Further your pilot had already "set the scene" by turning Base (1000ft AGL) airspeed 70 knots (from memory) - you just had to continue the slope/decent, turn final 500ft @ extended runway line,  deploy a bit more flap (or not) use power to maintain glide slope to threshold.

If my new Dynon goes "black"  I dont have any instruments - I figure that a back up ASI will give me enough information (with the sound of the engine/throttle position and limited ability to judge hight above terrain) to get me to the nearest airfield, join pattern, for a safe landing.

Ah, I see where you're coming from if the whole screen goes black.

Yes, the scene had been set and I was on the correct Base line and the altitude was about right and his airspeed was correct so I had an easy start.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1