Red Faced!

F10

Landings are better the more work you put into it. They rarely land themselves nor are they always consistent. Always be ready for something different to upset your approach.  Instructors should not display their impatience or do things that might destroy pupil confidence. YOU are Paying but don't expect an easy run if you aren't putting the effort in. These are standards based situations and no ones doing you a favour if they give you an  easy ride when you're not really there. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Few have the temperament to be a good instructor. My training was spread over many years for economic reasons and I’ve had a big variety of personality types in the RH seat.

The worst was a gung-ho, impatient type who demonstrated excellent pilot skills but apalling airmanship.

The best was a quiet bus driver who put me thru heaps of challenging scenarios.

• Like 2

The worst was a gung-ho, impatient type who demonstrated excellent pilot skills but apalling airmanship.

OldK - His name wasn't Hotchin, by any chance? These types are always on a mission to kill themselves and usually take many others with them.

They should never be licenced for anything larger than a lawnmower. History is littered with the deadly results of their total incompetence, and it shows great failings in training, that these people can reach high positions.

Edited by onetrack

I had instructor when I was doing low flying and precautionary landings that I'd never had before. He was the impatient and gung ho and terrible. He went crook when I didn't get it right and I got worse each time. Finally I still didn't get it right & he was even more of a prick than earlier. I applied full power & headed back to the aerodrome. He said where the f@#$ do you think you're going. I just said HOME & never said another word to him. I called ATC for joining and landing, landed & went straight into the CFIs office & laid a formal complaint. The CFI just said to me after my rant "You are not the first but you will be the last". He was fired, left the Aero Club & went to PNG. A few months later we heard that he'd crashed and killed himself by flying in to a mountain or mountain strip.

• Informative 2

I have been nonplussed at how they lost so many planes and instructors and students in ww2 port pirie basic training in tiger moths.  They lost 5% of the enrollees, and yet we here in Gawler didn't lose one in 50 years!

Their instructors must have been worse than the worst any of you guys had I guess.

• Like 1

They only got minimum training at  most levels and usually failed a constant % that looked as if they were upholding a standard.  I'd rate a tiger moth as being a pretty safe plane overall if not the best that we could have had for the purpose.. Cost wise it'd be the cheapest.  Nev

Nothing worse than a bad instructor, especially the shouters…really annoys me, I’ve held both helicopter and fixed wing instructor ratings, not current now, but even with my experience, a shouter unsettles me. Now at least I just return to the field and on shut down I say, “Sorry mate, but we’ll never fly together again”.
Then I’ve  flown with instructors who make it such fun you’re bursting to go fly again. When it stops being fun….Houston we have a problem! 

Bob Tuck (my boyhood hero) very nearly washed out in flight school, because he was trying too hard. On his wash out check, he kind of gave up and just enjoyed the flight…and flew brilliantly. The CFI said to his concerned instructor when they got back, “Not to worry, he’s just twigged the whole thing”. He went on to become one of the top scoring RAF fighter pilots of the war.

• Informative 1