Fixing anti flutter weights

Hi,

My aileron anti flutter weights, have been drilled in the wrong place. I must redrill, but to do this I must  first fill the holes.

Melting lead, to pour into the first holes, is not in itself a problem (as a child I made lead fishing weights). However I am concerned that in so doing I may cause a greater problem.

My concern is, will the hot liquid lead cause partial melting of the weights? 

I have been considering placing the lead weight in the freezer for a few hours befor attempting to pour the molten lead into the drill holes - is this a good/bad idea/necessary at all?

Has anyone else faced this problem?

Unfortunately I don't think the molten lead will melt in to the existing lead weight.  This may be a problem depending on location of old holes new holes from a structural integrity point of view. If you are confident in the integrity of the weight go for it. Could you just recast the wieght.  

you can also use a soldering iron or one of these small gas torches to just melt the lead around the hole and top it up with fresh lead or solder. In the old days, it was quite common to rebuild worn battery posts by fitting a steel collar of the correct size & taper (+ and - were different) over the worn/damaged post and use an oxy torch to melt the lead and rebuilt the post.

If you need to drill the new holes partly over the existing holes, the epoxy solution could cause the drill bit to wander off. Filling it with lead only will prevent that.

Edited by pluessy
added
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, pluessy said:

you can also use a soldering iron or one of these small gas torches to just melt the lead around the hole and top it up with fresh lead or solder. In the old days, it was quite common to rebuild worn battery posts by fitting a steel collar of the correct size & taper (+ and - were different) over the worn/damaged post and use an oxy torch to melt the lead and rebuilt the post.

If you need to drill the new holes partly over the existing holes, the epoxy solution could cause the drill bit to wander off. Filling it with lead only will prevent that.

Good points Pluessy - new drill holes will be several mm to one side of the miss drills.

In the old days, it was quite common to rebuild worn battery posts by fitting a steel collar of the correct size & taper (+ and - were different) over the worn/damaged post and use an oxy torch to melt the lead and rebuilt the post.

And if you did that job, you had to be exceptionally careful with regard to ensuring that any gassing electrolyte fumes (hydrogen) didn't come into contact with the oxy flame, or you'd be buying a new battery! (BOOM!!). :crying:

I used to use a convenient-size socket for a rebuild collar, then rasp the new pole to shape accordingly.

You did what you had to do in those "good ol' days", with minimal cost, and with minimal equipment, and with restricted supplies of new items!

• Like 1

Batteries only gas during charge and heavy discharge. When rebuilding the post(s), we simply opened the caps while getting everything ready to vent any H2, then put them back on and no problem. More batteries went "boom" when removing the battery charger clips without turning the charger off.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

DO NOT put the weights in a freezer or any where else that may cause water to be present in  the holes. This is unnecessary and if any water, such as frozen condensation, remains in the hole it will immediately boil off violently and spray molten lead everywhere.

• Like 1