Helicopter Crash North Of Sydney! 09/07/2022

Wow, that's pretty bad, it looks like he went in at a high RoD!  I wonder if rotor detachment was the cause?  Can't even begin to hazard a guess at what type of chopper it was.

The pilot has been identified as Carl Hearps, Chief Pilot for NSW Helicopters. The machine was a 206 Longranger. Could have possibly been a wire strike.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10997503/Helicopter-pilot-Carl-Hearps-killed-horror-crash-remote-NSW-bushland-beloved-hero-dad.html

• Agree 1

There was a 206 in a wirestrike up towards Hawkesbury River / Wisemans Ferry way the same day - though the WSPS served its' purpose and they landed safely with little to no damage beyond the pilot seat cushion. But of the two clips I've seen from the Maroota accident, I didn't see any wires or towers in either of them.. Not to say he didn't hit wires, but just that I didn't see any.

Edited by KRviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau's (ATSB) preliminary report into the Bell 206L-1 LongRanger helicopter's July 9 crash near Maroota, includes some of the evidence the agency has collected.

"A bird strike which we have identified as being a wedge-tailed eagle has contributed in some way to this accident," ATSB Chief Commissioner Angus Mitchell said on Thursday.

"We have also found that the helicopter sustained an in-flight break-up," he said.

Read more here.

• Informative 2