Forced landing due to leaking fuel drain

20 hours ago, onetrack said:

I can remember a bloke with a microlight at Beverley, W.A. in the 1980's - he took off with the fuel tank tap in the "off" position. He got up to about 100-150 feet, and then dived straight back down again, when the engine stopped. The result was fatal.

The kicker to the story? The bloke was a former crash investigator for BASI! He'd probably examined the wreckage of dozens of aircraft, where the pilot made simple errors - not realising he would become a victim of his own simple error!

The important lesson here is the aircraft dived back down because of an  aerodynamic stall. The aircraft was capable of continuing safe flight after the engine failure (the stick controls airspeed not the engine) but the pilot became distracted by the engine failure and failed to fly the aircraft. Stalling even at very low height is nearly always fatal as seen in the Dale Snodgrass accident or our former member Ross Millard.

10 hours ago, turboplanner said:

This is classic Human Factors, and should have been what CASA taught instead of the crap that no one could relate to. It's not too late to correct their blunder.

Yes we should know human factors. For me the most important human factor is make airspeed number one in any type of emergency, passenger gets sick or sees something really interesting on the ground like a moose, engine goes bang etc. Don't stall the aircraft or fly in IMC or at night if not rated,  that covers about 95% of fatalities.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I was taught when doing tail wheel endorsement by my instructor 'Speed is King'.  I often remind myself about this as it is in my pre-flight checklist.  I good saying I think.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

The important lesson here is the aircraft dived back down because of an  aerodynamic stall. The aircraft was capable of continuing safe flight after the engine failure (the stick controls airspeed not the engine) but the pilot became distracted by the engine failure and failed to fly the aircraft. Stalling even at very low height is nearly always fatal as seen in the Dale Snodgrass accident or our former member Ross Millard.

Yes we should know human factors. For me the most important human factor is make airspeed number one in any type of emergency, passenger gets sick or sees something really interesting on the ground like a moose, engine goes bang etc. Don't stall the aircraft or fly in IMC or at night if not rated,  that covers about 95% of fatalities.  

Photography where the photographer is not a pilot. He/she will be focused on the object, but the pilot must be focused on the flying. The photographer will see an object and will try to direct the pilot into a tight turn, or pull the aircraft into position to keep and object in sight. The pilot starts focusing on the object and before they know it they're into a stall.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 1/8/2022 at 4:01 PM, facthunter said:

Many fuel set ups have just enough fuel to get airborne when the selector is in the off position…

I once discovered that the fuel in my one litre collector tank, the fuel lines and carby are enough to start, warm up, taxi a km, takeoff and climb a couple of hundred feet. 

Since then, instead of turning off tank taps, I habitually close taps near my knee after landing, so she runs out of fuel when I get to the hangar. Trying to avoid leaving mogas in the float bowl. Also makes it harder to start without checking fuel taps.

• Informative 1