Outback AirRace

NT5224

Apparently the Outback Air Race  commences again this morning. The first since COVID.

I was driving past into town (not flying because of Pitch Black), so stuck my beak into MKT  to see the scene pre-departure.

Anybody on here taking part? I'd love to hear about it.

We had intended to compete in a previous event  but probably can't afford the $7000 per person required. Its much cheaper to flight the same  route alone. 

Pic of the racers  (pre departure) attached.

Alan 

20220829_082052.thumb.jpg.56507e1635b353c4aface501599ccccd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Two pilots from South Grafton are taking part in their Mooney M20Js. They are team "Show me the Mooney" and team "Once in a Blue Mooney". Show me the Mooney won the last outback air race before covid.

47 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Two pilots from South Grafton are taking part in their Mooney M20Js. They are team "Show me the Mooney" and team "Once in a Blue Mooney". Show me the Mooney won the last outback air race before covid.

Those blokes have been flying the race for years!

I envy their participation and hope they have another good flight. Wasn't Grafton recently flooded?  Glad the Mooney didn't get wet feet.

Alan

• Like 1

Both Mooneys had their undercarriage retracted & were on hydraulic lifts. There was a metre of water through their hangar & they only just kept out of it. Once in a blue Mooney got a little bit in the rear of the fuselage due to the AOA it was sitting at. If you go to the air race website & click on the donate button (you don't have to donate) for Show me the Mooney you will see a photo of the flood level in their hangar.

• Informative 2

22 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Both Mooneys had their undercarriage retracted & were on hydraulic lifts. There was a metre of water through their hangar & they only just kept out of it. Once in a blue Mooney got a little bit in the rear of the fuselage due to the AOA it was sitting at. If you go to the air race website & click on the donate button (you don't have to donate) for Show me the Mooney you will see a photo of the flood level in their hangar.

If you go to the Outback Air Race live tracker you will see 'Once in a Blue Mooney' appears still in Darwin while the rest of the pack are now flying the Gulf Country.

Actually the Tracker is in Palmetston -not even at MKT airfield. Be interesting to know what has happened. Have they flown on without their tracker, or is the aircraft still parked at MKT?

Some mechanical problems maybe? Darwin is local for us but many competitors will already have flown across the continent just to reach the start line. A few mechanical tweaks might have been needed...

Alan 

• Informative 1

Mo 

10 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Why does the race cost $7k? 

No idea. Might be 6K or 5K but still bloody expensive. 

They organise accommodation along the route but im guessing it's something to do with insurance or support. But still, it won't be sending them broke...

In addition each team has to raise a minimum of 2K sponsorship 

We were all set to do it four years ago but dropped out due to a professional opportunity which came up for my wife.

At such strong money we probably won't go back.

Alan