ATSB criticised for refusing to investigate Gympie plane crash that killed two pilots

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Focus; you were almost there.

(a) You're practising Self Administration

(b) It needs to be loaded; not much point with an empty weapon.

(c) The SSAA rules I mentioned earlier area a good way to see the steps, rules, reasons behind             them.

(d) Focus is first; forget solving the road toll or picking on RAMs for trying to squeeze into parking spots; they'll pull a 3 tonne trailer and carry a load in the tray all day at 100 km/hr and you can still pass slow traffic; they're for a specifica application.

Being a realist in this life……I ‘arrived’ long ago 🙂.  Dodge RAMs in the city?  Yeah well maybe something about manhood…….so long as they don’t end up with wings 🙂 

2 hours ago, jackc said:

Being a realist in this life……I ‘arrived’ long ago 🙂.  Dodge RAMs in the city?  Yeah well maybe something about manhood…….so long as they don’t end up with wings 🙂 

The US utes replace the Morris Commercial 30 cwt trucks, the next tow vehicle up is a 5 tonne truck, so the are imported and converted to RHD fo the application. Plenty of 100 km/hr freeways and tollways in the city.

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

Just to pick up on the willy willy's. When the mass of air rises it takes anything with it not just small planes, and if there's no dust or loose leaves it's invisible so you can't be sure what's happening.. It's an  extremely dangerous situation  requiring very positive actions and sometimes some luck to survive it. Nev

Thinking about this,  the airstrip i’s surrounded by harvested wheat crops and they seem to generate rising heat and probably ideal conditions for Willy Willy generation?  Rising lift does occur on approach, but immediately turns to sink over the fence as the airstrip is all green  grass?  My assumption only in absence of any other reason?  Flying over green  unharvested crops seems smoother on a hot day more than flying over the harvested crop stubble?  Willy Willys are something I will have to be very wary of.

2 hours ago, jackc said:

Thinking about this,

You've got you answer, but you just don't know it.

Cereal crops at harvest contain very little moisture, and in fact, if they are almost ready for harvest, do not transpire water vapor. A well maintained grass strip will have a ground cover of living plants, because you want the plants to hold the soil together to reduce dust and stop solids being thrown up due to the movement of the aeroplane across the ground and the air movement from the prop. 

So over the cereal crop there is nothing to keep the air "cool" and it will rise. If that rise is rapid and localised, a willy-willy may form. The living grass will keep the air "cooler" so that the air has less of a tendency to rise. The "sink" over the fence can be caused by friction between the the ground and the nearby air causing the air to slow and so not contribute so much the lift from the "headwind"

"There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy". Nothing is simple.

9 hours ago, jackc said:

Most people try to stay under the 4.5T GVM with small diesel dual wheel trucks. They don’t need to ‘pose’ but just get the job done 🙂 

It all starts with the Application. We're trying to get someone 600,00 - 700,000 km total life.

All vehicles on the chart meet the 4500 kg GVM Car Licence requirement.

Local Tradie's vehicle in the Urban area (below 80 km/hr)

The application may not require towing or 100 km/hr highway cruise, so the two columns on the right are going to be able to handle that application.

Up to 3500 kg towing with low frontal area (not caravan type bodies)

We would be looking at the three columns on the right, and the Ford would do limited 100 km/hr at full GCM with caravan type body.

Up to 4500 kg Trailer - Urban area up to 80 km/hr

The Isuzu model is a downrated 6500 kg GVM truck so will carry heavy loads and has a GCM of 9000 kg on driver's licence

Up to 4500 kg Trailer - Highway 100 km/hr

The Ram has twice the power of the Isuzu to push the wind out of the way.

Pushing the wind out of the way:

The Chart on the left is for a ute/truck with tray body and low load

At 80 km/hr, Airpower demand is 40 kW, so not very significant

At 100 km/hr, it is 59 kW, still not a huge factor

The Chart o the right is for a Caravan/5th Wheeler/Van Body

At 80 km/hr even with the bigger body, Airpower demand is only 53 kW

At 100 km/hr it's exponentially more at 103 kW

On top of this, there is power demand for driveline resistance, rolling resistance (affected by the number of wheels), grade resistance and head or tail winds.

This is what gets the owners of vehicles into trouble with blown turbos, motors etc. The engine power output can't meet the power demand requirement at the top end of the envelope in some applications where the same vehicle would happily pull a heavy trailer around all day at low speed.

WS00234A.jpg

WS00234B.jpg

WS00234C.jpg

• Informative 1

Turbs, thanks for your efforts with the explanation.  At my stage in life I guess the complexity of it all has not as much relevance as it may have, earlier in my life. 

I try to use simple logic these days, 2 months ago I bought a Mahindra 4x2 ute with a tray. for 2 reasons…..it was half the price of a Hilux and it will last until I die and still do the job I want, it goes everywhere my 75 series Landcruiser goes on my steep property as it has an Eaton Auto Rear Diff Locker that actually works!  So far 3 people have bought one after looking at mine 🙂  I guess application wise I made a good decision 🙂 

OME,  I try to be observant and work out reasons for my findings and since I am late to the Aviation party I have a lot to learn.  These forums have been a big help from posters contributions to help acquire the required knowledge. I don’t want the mathematics of it all at my age, I simply need to know what works and what doesn’t 🙂  Case histories of those who have gone before me, are my teacher. 🙂 

• Like 1