From RAAF to Rec Aviation

rgmwa

Came across this article which I thought was worth posting even though it's not strictly about Recreational Aviation, although she currently flies a Pipistrel Virus so that makes her one of us now.

At first I assumed she was a US pilot, but she flew for the RAAF.  Pretty impressive achievement by any standards and any air force. 

Compare the number of sun glasses in the test pilot school photo compared to the flight school graduation photo.  Clearly test pilots are a lot cooler than your average air force pilot. 

https://groundedcuriosity.com/the-only-woman-in-the-room/#.Y8aQEXZByUl

• Like 7
  • Informative 3

57 minutes ago, facthunter said:

BLOKES will always feel FUNNY about women in Power unless a massive attitude change takes place. They have to put up with plenty of $#!T.  Nev

Agreed Nev, but perhaps you need to say “Some blokes”.

That “massive attitude change” is happening fast. I’ve worked with lot of women in positions of authority ; most were excellent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

I am privileged to have attended one of her talks to a sporting club. Marija is an amazing lady who has overcome many challenges to get where she is today. Highly intelligent, a highly qualified engineer and test pilot. A wonderful immigrant story. Such qualifications don't come easily. Her troops admire and greatly respect her as a Commanding Officer of a P3 Squadron (at the time of writing). There are many people who have met her who would be very disappointed if this discussion were to head down the wrong path.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

On 18/01/2023 at 10:57 AM, facthunter said:

BLOKES will always feel FUNNY about women in Power unless a massive attitude change takes place. They have to put up with plenty of $#!T.  Nev

Maybe, but then again, many women are in power because they are women. 

• Informative 1

The only things you need to get into a POWER position is utter ruthlessness, and a huge level of ambitiousness, that can take major knocks in its stride. There's more than a few women with these necessary qualities.

One also gets into these positions by figuring out who pulls the strings and opens doors - and by cultivating these people as friends and close associates, one's path to the top is rapidly assured.

Women are good at "networking", a lot of men are their own worst enemies because of this lack of networking ability.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1