Alternative radiators for Rotax 912 ULS?

Marty_d

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Just in case you need another and this one is the right size, this is for the Bushcat 

IMG_20230423_133131_HDR.jpg

Thanks Danny, hopefully the original will do the job. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Need any oil cooler fittings ? - I have some unused Rotax origional.

Thanks Skippy!  Are they the ones with the male thread on the outside that screw into the top of the oil cooler fittings - circled in pic below?

image.thumb.png.2a45502853e9e52c8ca0538ab50855a6.png

No need for photo - have two 90 degree, female, with male barb (push one hose) similar to your photo and two black male/male reducers & washers (same as  in your photo).

Your 90 degree  looks to have some sort of male coupling, where mine is a hose push on style.

I'd stay with those AN fittings on the ends of the M22 from memory Setrab interface. efisolutions in QLD have a good range, and you can find other misc items from Sparesbox and other car performance shops. Quite common.  SOunds like skippy has all push on. Pressure is low (and negative on the oil cooler side ! )  in the rotax system, suits push on....

Marty what connectors are on your oil can ? I found that interface to the AN oil cooler a bit of a pain but findable  (M18 from memory IMBW) 

-glen.

Edited by RFguy

8 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

im confused now, did you want an oil cooler or a water radiator?

Neither now thanks Danny - I have bought an Ebay radiator, looks ok.  And someone gave me an oil cooler.  So I have both - just not the fittings on the oil cooler.

10 hours ago, RFguy said:

Marty what connectors are on your oil can ? I found that interface to the AN oil cooler a bit of a pain but findable  (M18 from memory IMBW) 

-glen.

Hi Glen, oil can is the original Rotax (came new with the engine, when the flying school swapped out the Rotax they didn't change fitted items such as muffler and oil can, so gave me the new ones with the 2nd hand motor).  It's got 2 90 degree barb fittings with rotating female nut attached (very similar to the one on the right in the photo above) which pulls them down onto the can fittings.

22 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

No need for photo - have two 90 degree, female, with male barb (push one hose) similar to your photo and two black male/male reducers & washers (same as  in your photo).

Your 90 degree  looks to have some sort of male coupling, where mine is a hose push on style.

Hi Skippy, the photo is out of the CH701 engine installation instructions,  I've just got the same oil cooler without the fittings.  I'd be interested in buying your spare fittings, will PM you.  Thanks!

• Like 1

which way you go sort of boxed by whether you will go barb  hose clamped  or AN series. AN is nice but given the low pressure ( < 10 psi) pos and neg, I beleive the barb fittings are entirely adaquate. I would NOT skimp on the sizes of the hoses on the suction side (engine to cooler, cooler to can, and ensure they cannot suck in / collapse. Clearly (industry experience) the native rotax fitting sizes are acceptable for short runs of tube. The cooler likely dominates the suction tension. If in a cool climate Suggest an oil thermostat like a Denali, available with different fittings, mine has 1/2 NPT in the body, there are other sizes

• Informative 1