J170D Production

CAV0K

19 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

The technology & practical examples, exist today, to have a 2 seat aircraft stall at 27 knots and high speed cruise at 135 knots ,with an empty weight of 300kg and a (current) Max TO of 600 kg all on 100 hp.  Don't ask me how clever the wing profile is, I don't have the knowledge but one factor is obvious  - Fowler flaps (or very similar) which retract, to an almost seamless integration, with the wing itself, greatly enhancing slow speed performance and with it safety.

Jab have ahead start, in their composite airframe. Surely they could improve on the current simple Plain flaps giving a rather underwhelming stall and for class fast (long) landings.

While they are at it, do something to improve the "feel" of the flight surfaces (junk the pull-me-push-yous) and may be for the 2+2 seater (J230 & variants?) they might consider the Rotax 915 with optional CS prop - now we might be moving towards a "great flying" aircraft

Wing Can Expand To Fly Really Slow For Short Take-Off And Landing | Hackaday

We are all waiting for scrappy's wing to be on a production aircraft

Those pop-out slats would sure help.

I too have fantasised about modifying the sturdy Jab airframe for STOL. The tailpane would have to be redesigned, because standard Jabs seem to have barely a poofteenth of down elevator.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/05/2023 at 8:03 PM, Blueadventures said:

Agree, I know Jab owners who can land them on as short a strip as safe.  They are very experienced and competent pilots.  MY email about 8 years ago was asking about any planned additional wing profile becoming available.  Thier aero engineer Dan replied no.  I asked as I was deciding what to build. I have meet Dan and his Dad as Dan used to fly a factory Jab back to Mackay regularly as his family was south of Mackay and he landed at Palmyra.  I recon availability of a wing with more lift would sell.

The J170 got the wing with more lift, for the hot conditions in the northern part of Australia. After a decade of looking at the results when people bought them for the colder States with denser air in the cold months, I can understand that the J230 route was the better one to take engineering-wise. Just giving a wing more lift may well give a better climb rate on a hot Queensland day, but buffeting cold winds makes things unpredictable in the southern winter.

7 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I agree nev. A Stol plane costs more to insure, as they are at risk when doing a slow landing that a sudden gust will drop the ASI too low.

I wonder if that's why that Savanna went into the canola fields some years back, too slow, too low and a gust of wind...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

The gusts are too big a % of the stall speed  Without spoilers you'd never get a glider down where you want it in gusty conditions. More experinced glider pilots than me might like to comment. When there were a few Slepcev Storches around they would have to seek  calmer conditions sometimes or risk doing a leg and wingtip in.  (expensive).  Nev

• Informative 1