Cirrus SR20 forced landing - 25 kms E of Southern Cross W.A. - 13/06/2023

A 75 yr old pilot of a Cirrus SR20 (the only occupant), is unhurt after a forced landing caused by a "mechanical problem", approximately 25kms E of the town of Southern Cross in W.A., yesterday afternoon (13/06/2023).

The aircraft landed in scrubby terrain, and appears to have suffered only moderate damage. There's no indication whether a BRS was used in the forced landing.

I was under the impression every Cirrus SR20 was fitted with a BRS, but the aircraft involved in this incident appears to have still had forward movement upon contact with terrain.

I was under the impression forward movement largely ceased, shortly after activation of the BRS? Seems a little odd to me, that if you had a BRS, and had a reason to conduct a forced landing, why wouldn't you use it?

I would hazard a guess that because this Cirrus is a nearly 20 year old 2004 build, it may not have had a BRS fitted.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/315218

https://www.aviationwa.org.au/aircraft-photos-movements/august-2014/20140803_vh-llx_cirrus_sr20_david_eyre-2/

• Informative 1

All cirrus aircraft have the BRS parachute. The chute has not been deployed in this case, straps not pulled from the fuselage sides. I guess the pilot did not want to hear "shouldn't have pulled the chute, could have done a normal forced landing". Good result.  

• Informative 1

15 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

All cirrus aircraft have the BRS parachute. The chute has not been deployed in this case, straps not pulled from the fuselage sides. I guess the pilot did not want to hear "shouldn't have pulled the chute, could have done a normal forced landing". Good result.  

I have flown through there many times when I was living in Kalgoorlie.  There are no places to land between Southern Cross and Kal.  I had a door come open half way between  the two and had to fly with a wind fury in the cabin for 20 minutes before I could land at Southern Cross.  Flying through there at night means that your engine has your life in its hands. 

• Informative 3

It's generally considered that by using the chute the RoD will ensure the Plane is damaged. They often said call the Insurance company on the way down. On a dark night with engine failure I'd probably recommend using it but In daytime , depending on the terrain, maybe not.  Wind near the ground is a determining factor. I wouldn't fly single engined Piston planes at night.   Nev

• Informative 2