Coolant overflow bottle for 912ULS?

Marty_d

Hey folks,

Wondering what people use for this.  Standard from Flood's or is there an auto equivalent for 1/10th the price?

As far as I can work out from the Installation manual, Rotax specifies a container that may have up to half a litre of overflow (so 800ml or 1L size?), hose from the expansion tank going to the bottom, and a 3mm hole in the top vented down through the cowl.

Level of coolant in the overflow tank to sit no lower than 250mm below the expansion tank.

Are my assumptions correct there and what sort of bottle do you use?

Thanks!

image.png.e516bdc9b0d9fb47691fd68367bd6a3a.png

image.png.3da4c186f82d8a150c9ea025856257e3.png

You could use almost any (transparent) plastic bottle, of sufficient capacity, that you can secure in place. The securing in place is the tricky bit ,that's why Rotax use a rectangular bottle - easier to secure.

There is no need to have a bottom connection - just put the delivery/return pipe through the lid and down to the bottom of the bottle. Make sure you have a small breather hole (2-3mm) in lid.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 2

What Skippy said.
Any transparent or semi-transparent bottle of reasonable thickness and with a reasonably robust screw top.

The Sav one is really tucked away behind the oil tank*. Attachment is a very simple bracket riveted to firewall, bent out at the bottom to support bottom, bent out and scalloped at the top to steady the bottle neck, and with wings at the sides with holes: cable tie goes through holes to hold bottle back against bracket/firewall.

*So tucked away that I had to fill it via a thin pipe inserted in the engine reservoir overflow.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Marty, I have a genuine rotax square bottle, not used from my last 582 same as 912. Will post at no cost to you, pm address if interested.  

That's very generous, you have to let me pay postage!  Will PM.