Hard Landing

The 767's were weak in that region of the fuselage and after several early fuselage wrinkle events on 767's, Boeing undertook strengthening of the upper crown stringers in the fuselage, in production aircraft from January 1995.

However, no retrofit of the fuselage strengthening was available - the strengthening obviously required structural changes that couldn't be carried out to earlier production aircraft.

As this United 767 was 37 years old, it's obvious it's an early 767 (it's actually United's oldest aircraft) - and the 1995 strengthening couldn't be carried out on this aircraft.

Boeing advice on fuselage damage - https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_18/aero_18.pdf

This is how easily the fuselage buckling can happen - ANA bent this 767 in 2012, and it was captured on camera. It appears the porpoising event was where the damage occurred.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

Crickey, that reminds me of the main structural members of the Gossamer Albatross, which were pretty much very long aluminium coke cans; just strong enough to fly, but damaged by any slight bump.

Someone once said that the wreckage of a crashed airliner should be like confetti; any larger pieces had obviously been built too heavy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have the privilege of many thousands of hours on the 767 as both FO and CPT.  One of its unique features was that some of the variants I flew were altitude limited as opposed to thrust limited.  That is, under some conditions, the engines would push the airframe past the altitude at which it could fly.  I am pretty sure it is the only airliner to have had this level of performance. 
in the simulator it was possible to perform a v1 cut and then out climb the hill at Kai Tak (the old Hong Kong airport RWY 31) at 160 tons. 
MTOW was 172 360kg, but with the stroke of a pen this was changed to 185 150 kg for certain sectors. 
The Rolls Royce variants were horrible in comparison to both the GE and Pratts. They also suffered from oil vapours leaking into tjhe cabin. (Pressurisation was bleed air). 
Although slower than the jumbo, the 767 got to altitude much earlier.

Derate was not used where wind shear was reported and at domestic sector weights the VSI would be jammed at the 6000’ per minute stop until well after passing 10000’. 
The aeroplane came from an era when the American manufacturers assumed a level of competence for aircrew candidates that was not always available. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 4