Water cooled engine for ultralight

DYEATON

On 26/08/2023 at 9:03 PM, facthunter said:

Still a bad principle. They've had crankshaft breakages on the 532. Try listening to any motor with a loose flywheel. It's like the motor is going to blow up.. Nev

you quite often run down rotax, why do you dislike them, have you had a bad experience .  

• Like 1

All mechanical things can be better. Why do the adherent's think they are perfect, or beyond criticism. I detail what I think can be an issue and have never called them funny names.. I criticise other motors too. let's say 'evaluate". .  . My real time experience gives me some qualifications to do that as I've been very involved with Motors, as distinct from reading stuff on line which can be way off the mark.  Nev

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, facthunter said:

All mechanical things can be better. Why do the adherent's think they are perfect, or beyond criticism. I detail what I think can be an issue and have never called them funny names.. I criticise other motors too. let's say 'evaluate". .  . My real time experience gives me some qualifications to do that as I've been very involved with Motors, as distinct from reading stuff on line which can be way off the mark.  Nev

Have you worked on and been very involved with Rotax engines?

• Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 9:14 AM, Thruster88 said:

The Rotax E-tec 2 strokes are used in snowmobiles, they get close to 4 stroke fuel efficiency and electronic control means egt is correct so happy pistons. The is even a turbocharged version with 180 hp.

images (14).jpeg

Tuned pipes too 😊

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, facthunter said:

I would assume rotax know what they are doing. The highest volume light aircraft engine manufacturers on the planet. They don't sell that many engines for no reason and they sell even though they are expensive.

Assuming any thing is perfect is lazy and subject to some sort of cultish mentality. Just because some engines had RR on the side of  them didn't stop one of them exploding in flight in an A 380 and Boeing have made enough blues to threaten their business viability. Rotax is a minnow in the aviation game and it's in there to make a profit like anyone else. They've gotten expensive with the Later complex motors still based on the earlier ones but with near double the power.  There's a risk in that.  Nev

• Like 1