Frequencies?

Hey all

Yesterday best TW ATC were trying to warn aircraft that were going to be very close but weren't getting a response. 

After they passed another vfr piped up and said they got a hold of them on 126.7 and warned them. There were no ADs that I'm aware of in the vicinity.

So what frequency do you guys tune into while xc? I always thought it should be area except in the vicinity of an AD.

TIA

I find the regulations/recommendations very confusing. In the VFR-world below 10,000', there should be ONE Frequecy in use, CTAF. Yet we are supposed to use area above 5,000', which means you are missing out on the traffic info below 5,000'.

Area is also full of the jet-jockeys and ATC who talk at the speed of sound and none of their transmissions have anything to do with the VFR traffic below 10,000'.

If CASA/Air Services would be serious about safety, there would be only one frequency in every airspace, eg CTAF from surface to 5,000' and an area frequency from 5,000' to 10,000' where ATC can be contacted, then anything above 10,000' on the normal area frequency. That would remove the irrelevant chit-chat and pilots would actually listen to the area frequency below 10,000'.

There have been quite a number of occurences due to planes being on the different frequencies in the VFR space, a few with fatal consequences.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I always listen to area (as a second frequency when I’m within 10 miles of a CTAF AD), regardless of the activity on there. I’ve been warned a few of times about other traffic, and once (embarrassingly) that my transponder had failed and showed me flying through the middle of Sydney’s northern approach when I was actually under the step. I think it’s worth putting up with a bit of chatter. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, sfGnome said:

I always listen to area (as a second frequency when I’m within 10 miles of a CTAF AD), regardless of the activity on there. I’ve been warned a few of times about other traffic, and once (embarrassingly) that my transponder had failed and showed me flying through the middle of Sydney’s northern approach when I was actually under the step. I think it’s worth putting up with a bit of chatter. 

I do the same. 

Have also had ATC warn me of traffic at 12 o'clock one time. Got me to squawk IDENT on my transponder so they could positively identify me.

As I'm based within a few miles of Tullamarine it's good to hear the commercial stuff and pick out where it is - I can usually see it on my AVPlan display from my Skyecho - and then eyeball it. 

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2

My radio has  Primary & Second frequency.

Primary is the coms In/Out and the Secondary is In (monitoring) only.

At the press of a button  I can "flip flop"  ie switch the Primary to Secondary.

I always have Area on, either as Primary (when on an away trip) or Secondary when in /close to CTAF .

When joining the circuit, I can switch off Secondary to minimise distractions.

Changing frequency happens on the Secondary, then flip flop to Primary.

Like Neil, I have recognised (Area) ATC warning (usually IFR) aircraft of my location and have on a few occasions been called by ATC to warn me of conflicting aircraft.

I would feel very uncomfortable, flying an aircraft with only one frequency at a time capability.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

It's Good practice to NOT change the frequency you just left till the new frequency has  enabled contact to be established 5 x 5.  IF it doesn't work you go straight back to the one you left and confirm things  Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2024 at 6:43 AM, pluessy said:

Area is also full of the jet-jockeys and ATC who talk at the speed of sound and none of their transmissions have anything to do with the VFR traffic below 10,000'.

I disagree with this, speaking as a "Jet-jockey". Yes, you'll certainly hear transmissions that are meaningless to you; but we broadcast our position/intentions when descending into Class G and approaching an Aerodrome. One day, it could be in an area that you're operating in. You, and the jet-jockey, will be glad to be on the correct Area freq.

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

I was once coming into Port Lincoln from Aldinga in my weed-hopper ahead of an RPT aircraft also coming in to Port Lincoln. Not wanting to get in the way of his approach I contacted him and said I'd orbit out to sea until he was clear. He said thanks. A little while later he contacted me and told be to be aware of possible severe turbulence on downwind. I realised he was right when I nearly went through the canopy. Shows the value of being on the right frequency.

• Like 7
  • Informative 1