Is Aldinga really that windy?

Hey all

just been thinking about doing a little flying while on a trip down to Adelaide. I looked at some weather data for Aldinga strip and was startled to see the daily average wind speed at about 13 knots, with gusts of up to 50 knots. 

For somebody from the Top End this seems really high. I’m sure the strips are lined into wind, but I think my own aircraft maximum crosswind component is about 18 knots.

I’m  guessing flyers in Coastal South Australia must have mad  crosswind skills! 

Is Aldinga really that windy? Or are there times when it is possible for a relatively benign flight?

cheers 

Alan 

Years ago when I did my solo nav, I was going to go to Aldinga, so phoned them in the morning and they said that it was not recommended that day as there was a strong easterly off the adjacent hills, and would be best if I had a few more hours under my belt as when an easterly is blowing it is not the best place to be.  I have flown into there since and you can see that it is sandwiched between the sea and the hills.  Great place for a coffe…

Ken

• Informative 1

its as close as you can get to an old all-over field.
there is 4 runways to choose from, none parallel

image.png.5aa73fb0fd088b05ac48bded755d1c67.png

there has been a few times ive been grounded from flying lessons,

but the big risk was ground handling in the tail dragger. most of the time the nose wheelers were still okay

Don't think we have gone up and called it a day due to crosswinds. 
Just re-adjust the circuit and swap to a more suitable runway.

had a few days where the wind is between runways, but its still angled not directly across.

Radio contact really important. been a lot getting used to the situational awareness.

us taildraggers use the dirt. where as the other aircraft favor the sealed runway.... so can be several different circuits going on at the same time.
making for interesting moments. 

Edited by spenaroo
  • Informative 2

YADG is where I have done most of my flying, in all seasons over some years.

Yes, in short it can be bloody windy on some days.

But there are 4 runways, so normally you can get into the wind or close to it on one.

As mentioned a strong south-easterly can be very rough as it comes over the hills behind and swirls in an eddy down onto the field.

08/26 and 18/36 are pretty short.

36-18 has a broad dip in the middle about where the '20' is on the ERSA map

14-32 Is mostly gravel with not much grass (especially at this time of year) and has trees at the southern end. Some people worry about them, but i actually like slipping in over the top of them.

In the cub or champ (tailwheel) it's generally suggested to use the grass right next to the LEFT hand side of 21 threshold or the RIGHT hand side of 03

Watch out for the circuit directions, plenty of pilots visiting get it WRONG - aside from the obvious danger, this creates ALOT of annoyance with the Adelaide Biplanes instructors who will be on the look out for it whilst doing training flights.

North is ALL LH. SOUTH RH except 14.

To be fair, it is abit confusing just reading about it on paper until you've seen it directly.

I've attached a word doc with pictures i created to visualise it that may be helpful

Autumn is the best time in Adelaide IMO as the weather and winds are generally more moderate, especially April/May cool mornings, before winter hits - that's in contrast to spring which can be very changeable/showery.

Although it's been bloody hot and dry at the moment, some rain would be nice to take the edge off.

The Adelaide biplanes (Martin/Gaylene) people and cafe are really friendly...

YADG circuits all runways.docx

Edited by 3rd harmonic
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 08/03/2024 at 3:47 PM, 3rd harmonic said:

There is an unofficial weather station on top of the Adelaide biplanes building that is live online, as well as weather CAMS:

https://www.aldingaaviation.com.au/weather-station/

https://www.aldingaaviation.com.au/webcams/

Great to know. I was there a month ago, and informed by one of the instructors at Adelaide BiPlanes that their weather station wasn't publicly accessible. Silly me didn't go and check for myself.