Dynamic Prop Balance

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

FYI for those (very few) who might be contemplating a commercial prop balance - its likely to cost $400 +/- depending on time taken

I'd expect that as hour rates are $100 plus up here can be towards $190 / hr.   I'd say allow at least 1 1/2 hours to do a balance by the time you remove cowl fit the instruments run engine apply weights  and rerun again etc then wright up log and cowl on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would suggest, that every prop manufacturer, engine maker and aviation engineer, of any standing, would support the recommendation to have your propeller dynamically balanced.

Aside from the obvious drain on the pocket, there can only be posative benefits for the propeller, engine, airframe, avionics and crew.

It would appear, from the lack of responses to my enquiry, that very few aircraft owner/maintainers are actually having this work done - I wonder why?

Edited by skippydiesel

48 minutes ago, RFguy said:

I have a professonal balancing instrument  skip, you want to borrow it ?

One person has it right now.

You are without doubt, a gentleman & a scholar. 

My only concern, from what I have read, performing a successful balance takes some skill - it's not something that can be done well by just reading the instructions/viewing a few videos. Your opinion??

8 minutes ago, RFguy said:

some practice is required. but its not that hard. 

Okay -I will take you up on your generous offer (I hope your confidence is not misplaced). Now comes the hard part - how & when do we do this???

In case you don't recall - I am based at The Oaks NSW - you are at Cowra - I can fly in & do the job there - fly in and take the tool home and return - you might like the excuses (if needed) to fly to The Oaks - etc

Interesting thing happened in my quest for a prop balancing service;

There is no service in Camden (my nearest airfield of significant size/many & varied aircraft) - referred to East Coast Propellers (ECP), Bankstown/Sydney. It seems ECP is the only such service in Bankstown, possibly the busiest GA airfield in Australia.  They only service certified propellers, "...don't have the tooling for non certified" ???? referred me on to West Coast Propellers in Perth (crazy)

• Informative 1

On 20/03/2024 at 7:11 PM, skippydiesel said:

Hi FlyBoy,

You may not have seen my earlier response - Yes I am intersted. Please forward the advertisement/contact details

Still no word from you - could it be one-on-one contact system not working Or this one not working???

4 hours ago, RFguy said:

eh

I'm in Canberra skip,. My planes are all over the place. 

I thought you were in Canberra but when I checked your "Location YCWR", I figured you had moved to a more civilised 😁 part of the World.

The ball is in your court my friend - how where & when will we do this???

No hurry - now that my engine temps are under control, I am attempting (on the second go) to paint my cowling -in the immortal words of Lawrence Oats. - "I may be some time"☹️

To sum up:

• One offer of a potential sale - no further contact?????
  • One offer of a lend - no further contact?????
  • Another person has one but doesn't seem inclined to lend or provide a service????

So no further ahead - such is life & human nature

7 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

To sum up:

• One offer of a potential sale - no further contact?????
  • One offer of a lend - no further contact?????
  • Another person has one but doesn't seem inclined to lend or provide a service????

So no further ahead - such is life & human nature

You need to sort your personal messages. I sent you a message recently and you have not responded.