Preston Beach W A Accident 16th April

From ASN

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/386671

The Legend 600 suffered damage from an unknown cause possibly a bird strike which fractured the vertical stabiliser resulting in loss of control. The pilot deployed the plane’s ballistic patachute to bring the plane down safely. The occupants were not injured but the plane suffered extensive damage contacting a tree on the landing. 

• Informative 3

On 18/04/2024 at 7:02 PM, Freizeitpilot said:

Would that be the first (and successful) deployment of a ballistic parachute from a recreational aircraft in Australia ?

lots of raa aircraft with brs parachutes, surely someone must have used one over the years.

I haven’t seen the stats for Australia, but RAAus aircraft with installed parachutes are still pretty rare….but slowly increasing. Of course there is a significant cost and weight penalty but 

from reading various threads on this forum you would think that BRS was the work of the devil.

Hence, I’m pretty sure this incident was the first deployment in Australia, at least for an 600kg LSA. 

24 minutes ago, Freizeitpilot said:

I haven’t seen the stats for Australia, but RAAus aircraft with installed parachutes are still pretty rare….but slowly increasing. Of course there is a significant cost and weight penalty but 

from reading various threads on this forum you would think that BRS was the work of the devil.

Hence, I’m pretty sure this incident was the first deployment in Australia, at least for an 600kg LSA. 

Also an expensive item to have serviced, freight included.  Have a friend that has a chute due in November; he is going through the exercise of its service.  The agent is compiling an instruction to allow L2's to dis arm the rocket motor to make safe, so chute can be sent away for repack and rocket due later on. Sounding very involved for him.  I see some are left un-serviced and placarded not for use. As the aircraft with them get older more will be due for service.

33 minutes ago, Freizeitpilot said:

not rare at all.  they were available way back in auf days. lots of xairs have them. we might be on different pages. i am talking about rag and tube ultralights, the true recreational aircraft.

• Like 2

There have been a few used in trikes, including one in a storm down in the Maitland regeon that I remember from almost 20 year's ago. Cant remember if it was HGFA or RA-Aus registered but he took off just ahead of a gust front which caught him out and made his flying uncontrollable. He deployed the chute and landed safely.

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Informative 3

On 22/04/2024 at 9:12 PM, BrendAn said:

not rare at all.  they were available way back in auf days. lots of xairs have them. we might be on different pages. i am talking about rag and tube ultralights, the true recreational aircraft.

Only just today I noticed a Drifter with one.

• Like 1