CO Detector modification

Posted (edited)

Wow!

The cost goes up and up.

While I understand that the loss of a life (especially your own) is beyond financial calculation, the reality must surely be, that there is a diminishing cost/benefit, in spending X20 the cost of a, stand alone, CO detector for caravan/boat ?????

My question is  - if a low cost CO detector can measure/warn the occupants of an impending (rising ppm) life threatening air condition, at what point do you say the cost of a more expensive (hard wired ?) system is a tad over the top??

Edited by skippydiesel

Posted (edited)

By the same token; are the orange stickers effective at all ?

Yes, I know they turn grey but the first thing that goes in CO poisoning is your alertness and general awareness.

Having something that automatically turns on and alerts thru the efis is high value IMO.

And its 0.2% of the value of the plane.

Is anybody using one and how reliable have you found it ?

Edited by BurnieM

Never thought much of the orange stickers, that need replacing on a fairly frequent interval and as you suggest - would an CO intoxicated pilot even notice a colour change.

Audio/Visual warnings must be a major step up in safety.

If, as suggested, the sensitivity of the sensor diminishes over time (??) the more costly/hard wired version are going to be a pain in the pocket and time/panel modifications to replace.

I think I will stick with my $30 Quell, replaced every, say 5 years (rubber replacement time??) until someone can demonstrate its a waste of $$

The orange cards have been proven to be less than worthless. They only provide a false sense of security.  

4 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

The orange cards have been proven to be less than worthless. They only provide a false sense of security.  

The exact reason i went to an electronic version, have been using the caravan type but they are bulky which means they are not in my field of view through lack of space.

The small one i linked is under $25 and can but out forward if my eye line.

There are smaller, i particularly like the concept of the usb charger linked above.

Mike

Wish!

For a objective assessment of various CO detectors - most, online, seem to be blowing their own subjective trumpet.

Tasmag

"The exact reason i went to an electronic version, have been using the caravan type but they are bulky which means they are not in my field of view through lack of space."

You have a valid point - my Quell is behind me, hopefully within (in flight) audio alarm range. It's on a bulkhead, just below my head level, about .5M back, on one side, so I can easily look back.  I can easily move it so that its within reach, to test its alarm in the air (on the to do list).

I like its memory feature - I regularly check for past Max CO ppm - so far zero. This capability may worn me of a developing problem, even before the alarm level is reached.