flying into ifr without training, sad outcome.

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Don't be caught like me once when I was watching that celing very closely and realised I could see individual sticks under the gum trees because although the cloud was level, the land was rising ...

Thanks for sharing, Turbs  ...  can happen to anyone.

What about maintaining the visibility forward?  Ceiling is cloud base. Used  when taking off in conjunction with RVR. (Runway visual range) forward of the aircraft.  Nev

28 minutes ago, facthunter said:

What about maintaining the visibility forward?  Ceiling is cloud base. Used  when taking off in conjunction with RVR. (Runway visual range) forward of the aircraft.  Nev

If you're referring back to my post ceiling on that day was 1000' from SA to Mount Martha.

Visibility was out to the horizon.

38 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Why did you get so low then.? Nev

The Cloud layer had been stable at 1000' for a couple of days, something I'd never seen, waited another day and it had moved up to 1300' flat bottom, good visibility to horizon so came down picked up passengers. had flight planned to Melbourne along the  Sea Level colour, had opted for a zig zag course hopping from airfield to airfield, flying along at 500' and my first town was on a hill, so the ground came up towards me; The Sea Level sector is O - 600'; sat on the ground for a couple of hours, replanned, the cloud lifted again and no more rising ground.

Posted (edited)

Turboplanner said:  

"..... What the WAC Chart has are Hypsometric Tints which show altitude in feet and metres. If you find during your trip that cloud has descended above you like a ceiling, the tints give a quick reference for a way out to be planned."

Nowadays we can have hypsography of the dynamic kind (relative to our current position/altitude).

DOCS.OZRUNWAYS.COM

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL REZ.

image.thumb.png.6a458f3e9a78fde74ae74121bf17c4b0.png

"The Terrain Overlay is an aid to visualise surrounding terrain. In flight, yellow shades indicate terrain that is close to your altitude. Red is anything above you."

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Can you use it at the Planning stage?  Nev

I think the Terrain Overlay feature, by itself, is designed more for the real-time situation Turbo found himself in.

But it's also used in planning in conjunction with what they call LSALT assistant.

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL REZ.

image.png

"To open the LSALT assistant make a plan and select (tap) a leg, the leg will highlight yellow and the LSALT assistant button will appear on the Right Sidebar as in Image 12.1

The LSALT assistant uses the obstacle dataset from Airservices Australia, and terrain data from NASA. The assistant will find the highest obstacle and terrain, within the selected splay, for each leg of your plan and overlay these on the map. The assistant will then provide LSALT options based on this information with appropriate buffers, as well as route and grid LSALT options as applicable (as shown in Image 12.2). Opening the LSALT assistant also turns on the Terrain Overlay. The function of the Terrain Overlay when using the LSALT assistant is described below."

Edited by Garfly

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

The Cloud layer had been stable at 1000' for a couple of days, something I'd never seen, waited another day and it had moved up to 1300' flat bottom, good visibility to horizon so came down picked up passengers. had flight planned to Melbourne along the  Sea Level colour, had opted for a zig zag course hopping from airfield to airfield, flying along at 500' and my first town was on a hill, so the ground came up towards me; The Sea Level sector is O - 600'; sat on the ground for a couple of hours, replanned, the cloud lifted again and no more rising ground.

why would you be flying passengers around with a 1000ft cloudbase, i thought you would go above the cloud.

You are supposed to have continuous reference to the ground or water when flying VFR.  You can still have SOME cloud below but more than  the odd hole. (and hope)  Nev

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

You are supposed to have continuous reference to the ground or water when flying VFR.  You can still have SOME cloud below but more than  the odd hole. (and hope)  Nev

Yes, and LSALT is a concept used mainly in IFR ops.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, facthunter said:

i thought turbo was ifr

21 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

why would you be flying passengers around with a 1000ft cloudbase, i thought you would go above the cloud.

Fly through cloud?

1 minute ago, turboplanner said:

Fly through cloud?

my mistake. i thought you were a commercial pilot

16 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

my mistake. i thought you were a commercial pilot

No doubt you could spin this out for hours.

4 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

No doubt you could spin this out for hours.

i did think you had a commercial rating.  i wasn't shit stirring that time.

• Haha 2

I don't think there's anything stopping a PPL from getting an Instrument rating. You just cannot fly for hire or reward.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

I don't think there's anything stopping a PPL

Nope - I got one 30+ years ago. Reasonably common then to get a Class 4 rating (night VFR ( I'm my opinion can be dangerous for the careless) then a Class 3 (a limited version of the Class 1 /CIR). If you had a bit of extra cash as I did then, most just got a Class1 / CIR. 6 month renewals in those days - always a lottery as you didn't who you had in the RHS until the test day - some were shockers, some were a walking W&B problem etc.

I've done a bit of flying in a number of countries and a CIR is very useful even on a VFR plan - because, but not limited to, no horizon in the Middles East due heat haze, challenging weather in Asia (TS, heavy rain etc), must stick to the airways in a lot of countries, airspace somewhat complicated due military activity eg France etc etc - most of the aforementioned is everyday stuff if you have a CIR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2