Flying suits and Helmets

Guest pipross

Guest pipross

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying some gear for trike flying, am in NZ so have a range of conditions temperature wise. I would like to know what the best flying suits, helmets etc there are on the market

Thanks

Ross

G'Day Pipross,

Heard a few good reports on Icaro helmets from a few of my friends who also fly trikes, as for suits the cheapest way to go to get good protection from the cold is a freezer suit like they use in supermarket freezers, they are light in weight and not bulky and keep you quite warm in winter and not overly hot in the summer and they cost only around 150 aud.

I have had one for about 4 years and it works well and looks quite smart.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Peggy2

Yeah, those Icaro helmets are the best Ive used so far especially with the "beard" to deflect the wind away and sheild the mic... and a freezer suit is the only way to go if your in cold climates also invest in some bar mits as well to help keep the pinkies warm....Ive also found that a pair of Ugh boots and thick socks stop my feet from getting frostbite.

Guest Crezzi

I had the same uncertainity as you and went for a BSB 3-layer suit which they don't do anymore.

Its unlikely you'll ever get too hot flying a trike even in a 4-layer suit though it might get a bit warm in summer before you takeoff. With a 2-layer you'd need to add some extra clothing for cold weather flying. Your decision really !

My Ozee is the lightweight summer one so its not really feasible to directly compare the 2 brands for warmth. They both seem pretty well made & use similar material so it probably comes down to your choice of style.

Hope that helps

John

Pipross,

There are suits available from www.aeroshop.com.au for a reasonable price. The postage isn't the quickest but the service is friendly and easy to deal with. They are also in Victoria so no need to work out the exchange rates.:thumb_up:

• 4 years later...
Pipross,There are suits available from www.aeroshop.com.au for a reasonable price. The postage isn't the quickest but the service is friendly and easy to deal with. They are also in Victoria so no need to work out the exchange rates.:thumb_up:

Man, I wish I'd seen this before I bought mine...

Mine is from BlueSkyBlue and is excellent, but cost double!!

I bought a pair of Ozee Millenium suits when I had a trike and I was a bit disappointed in them. The colour faded and some of the stitching of the inner linings let go on my wife's suit. I think they were a good brand once, but they slipped a bit with our suits. We didn't really use them all that much and I was surprised how much the colour faded. We bought ours direct from Ozee as they were VERY expensive to source here in Oz, (like nearly double the price).

Ian would you be getting into GoPro cameras. I will be looking tobuy one in the coming months.

Cameras like this are a high price item and add to that the number of potential sales per year makes them a risky item to maintain any stock levels. I will have a look at what their minimum purchase amounts are and see whether it is viable...you have to remember that many companies require you to purchase thousands of dollars worth of stock each time you place an order with them.

Hi all,I'm looking at buying some gear for trike flying, am in NZ so have a range of conditions temperature wise. I would like to know what the best flying suits, helmets etc there are on the market

Thanks

Ross

Greetings Ross

Guess I could be labelled a doomsayer or bit of a nancy but... you would be wise to investigate the flame rating of any insulated (or otherwise) flying suit that you look at buying. In an accident when everything around you is turning to s++t, what you don't need along with spilt fuel and a hot exhaust is combustable nylon or synthetic clothing. Melted/ burning plastics make a horrible mess for plastic surgeons to patch up with skin grafts. Spend the extra bucks and go for Nomex or similar flame retardent materials. cheers

No worries Ian fully understood. I would just like to put as much of my purchases through you as is possible if the price is right. I am a great believer in supporting the people that are doing their best to support me.

I can help you with the camera and I know you will want to support me as I try to help you. I will purchase 2 of them and sell you yours for twice the price. That way I get mine for free and you can feel good that you supported me... Let me know what you think!

Sorry Ian.. I think I may have cut your lunch LOL