Seeking advice for Canberra - Maitland flight

numptie

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Hi folks,

I'm planning on doing a little trip from Canberra to Maitland in a GA aircraft in a few weeks and was hoping to get a bit of advice on the best route. I thought about flying up via Bathurst to avoid going anywhere near controlled airspace but I noticed there's a bit of tiger country up that way. I know I have the luxury of going a little higher than in a recreational aircraft but it still worries me a little.

The other thing I thought of was going via Goulbourn then transiting through Bankstown and onto Maitland.

Does anyone know the best way to go?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Bob

G'day, yea mate..go golbourn way.. Richmond should give you clearance to track through their airspace. Or take the bankstown lane up to patonga, then turn north and track direct to YMND.. Its a lovely flight. If you stay a little to the east and go over gosford yoiu'll overfly 2 or 3 strips between sydney aand ymnd..

The country out west there is very tigery, some of the most rugged stuff ive seen.. I scooted over it once on my way to moree, and was held down by a low cloud base. Some vey big rocks and caves covered in some very very big trees.. even at 1000 ft AGL they looked scary..

cheers and enjoy the flight.. Stop in at camden for fuel and a cuppa..:thumb_up:

sorry, just realised ya wanted to stay away from CTA.. Thats cool, just stay under the steps. Track golbourne camden, prospect res, then take the lane to the north east. if ya stay in the 2500 step its not to bad..

cheers

• Caution 1

I agree - the light aircraft lane is best (or Victor 1 if you want). You can fly over the top of Camden and then bankstown on the way as well

Hi Bob.

I always go up one way and back the other.

The Bankstown lane and then up the coast is beautiful - I usually come back that way because the Bowral area is dodgy in the mornings.

For the inland route, I recommend this.

[ATTACH]6077.vB[/ATTACH]

It's only 20nm longer than the direct route (214nm all up), and you always have landing options, while getting a great view of the tiger country.

The waypoint is a little arbitrary, but you'll see the route I mean when you get there. The entrance to the Hunter Valley opens before you. Head for the smoke column.

Cheers,

Ross

cbr-maitland.jpg.b290e4f7b392643af1e1c68252252ccf.jpg

The Bankstown lane and then up the coast is beautiful - I usually come back that way because the Bowral area is dodgy in the mornings.

Ross,

So an RAA aircraft can scoot up the Bankstown lane?

Well I'll be.

This is invaluable. (& who says that these forums are just building traffic).

Do we need to obtain any clearances for that?

Regards Geoff

For a 19 registered it's a bit grey Geoff. I had this discussion in the RAA office with Chris, Mick, John, the tea lady, and no-one could really say. For 55 it should be no problem. Syd radar don't care.

Southbound, just track Brooklyn Bridge to Prospect Reservoir (5 deg left at Round Corner), then head to The Oaks giving Camden some room and keeping a listening watch.

It's a great view.

I haven't obtained clearances. Remember, I may have been doing it wrong. I asked around early on and am working on the best advice from experienced people. The consensus was "everybody does it".

I'll admit it here in case it really is wrong.

This is great, I knew I'd get some good advice here.

I'm not totally discounting a transit through Richmond airspace, I thought it might be easier to avoid it but I'm happy to consider it. At this stage though, I'm leaning towards the Bankstown route.

I must say Ross, I do like the idea of a nice coastal flight, always good for some great photos. I'm assuming you go up that way a fair bit ... do you know what it's like trying to get clearances on a weekend to track from Maitland, through Williamtown airspace for a northbound coastal flight?

Bob

Thanks Ross & Matt

I had assumed that the "not over built up areas" rule would have stopped us so haven't tried it ................ yet, but I now need to go up that way a bit more often.

Regards Geoff

Bob, Williamtown is generally not active on weekends so a trip up the coast shouldn't require a clearance, if Willy is active, head from Maitland to Nobby's Point (stay to south and OCTA) then request a clearance to track up the coast (see ERSA for details), they'll give you a clearance at "not above 500'" and you follow the coast all the way up. There's also the VFR lane from Maitland that runs northbound under Willy airspace and doesn't require a clearance...it's actually an awesome trip up that lane.

Geoff, for the Bankstown lane, I'd recommend track to Menagle (staying south and outside Camden) then head north to Hoxton and Prospect Reservoir to minimise time over "built up areas" then follow the lane from there. While there is some flying over built up areas required, the purpose of the VFR lane is to provide the best route over those areas for light aircraft.

Cheers,

Matt.

Bob.. even if willy is active they'll let you in, ya may hafta hold for a few minneys thats all.. Like mat said, its an awesome flight, so is the lane up through the mountains... not above 1000 gets a little hairy at times but plenty of landing areas should the worst happen.. Just follow the train line from maitland, its fantastic..:thumb_up:

cheers

Thank you all, this is fantastic. It's a few weeks away and if the weather holds out I'm sure it's going to be a great trip. I'm really looking forward to taking a few of the 'locals' from Newcastle for a joyflight. In fact, I'm really looking forward to the whole trip.

Geoff, for the Bankstown lane, I'd recommend track to Menagle (staying south and outside Camden) then head north to Hoxton and Prospect Reservoir to minimise time over "built up areas" then follow the lane from there. While there is some flying over built up areas required, the purpose of the VFR lane is to provide the best route over those areas for light aircraft. Cheers, Matt.

Thanks Matt, and I hope we might be able to discuss it a little further on Sunday. Regards Geoff

The best thing about the Willy coastal lane is (apart from the scenery) if its active you will probably get a very close up view of some F18s. last time we went up there we had two pass us out to sea and do a bit of "showing off".

Re transiting north to the Bankstown light aircraft lane be aware that if you track via Prospect that is an inbound VFR reporting point for bankstown and is often very busy. We had a casa guy talk to us a while ago about safety in that area - he suggested the safest option was to fly 2RN and the overhead BK - that would be OK in a GA aircraft. I think that would be considered controlled airspace though as it is 1500ft overfly which is the boundary between Sydney airspace and BK ! The BK controllers are always OK with the procedure.

Re Camden, as long as you are over 2500 ft you are not in their zone and the sydney step is 4500 there

I agree with most, head up the lane northbound and across to Maitland. I also would not recomment overflying Prospect on the way up. It is a BK inbound point, and also the end point of the lane coming back the other way. 2RN is an inbound point too, and personally I avoid it. I tend to fly north of 2RN for Parramatta. If you read the ERSA you'll note that you must be on the BK frequency there, so get the ATIS first and give BK tower a call, saying you are (wherever) at whatever height (say, 2000', clear of the 1500 traffic at BK), tracking for Parramatta. They will keep you on frequency and usually ask you to report passing the runway centre line. Then when they are happy you go onto Sydney Radar and head north.

There's less tiger country going coastal than Richmond, but there is still some.

Richmond is usually not restricted on weekends, and neither is Willy.

So up the lane and you'll pass near Warnervale. There's quite a big mountain range on your left. If the cloud base isn't too high, don't worry, fly over Cooranbong and you'll see a wide and obvious gap between the mountains on your left. You can clearly see through to the other side, then you are nearly at Maitland.

Call Maitland before you get there, permission is required. Beware of something that looks like a taxiway, it it best only used by people on foot. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif I'd recommend backtracking on the runway if required.

Some good info here for you numptie, but if its the scenic route your after, then go up the coast via Victor 1. On a good day the Sydney coastline is some of the best flying you'll do anywhere in the world......:thumb_up:

Mazda, backtracking at maitland is not allowed.. $12.50 for a landing fee doesn't buy you much of a taxiway as you said.

I Do the trip at least once a month (to maitland) and don't have any problems tracking to prospect, just stay on the south side and call up and let ppl know. Usually ppl call heading southbound in the lane on 124.55 anyway. I often ask radar for traffic as im approaching prospect and turn right around the step over to parra and ya in the lane..works ok for me.:thumb_up:

News to me Merv! I flew out of Maitland for a quite some time, and always backtracked, usually on the runway NOT in use, then ducked down onto the other one at the intersection, going down the grass if dry. It was a while ago, but the last time I was there (not so long ago) I tried the taxiway and was the only one doing so - everyone else backtracked, and I sure wish I had.

That relatively new taxiway is simply not suitable for some types. Backtracking can be a real nightmare too, because the reason for backtracking would mean taxiing with a quartering tailwind all the way - not fun in taildraggers.

The runways cross, so be careful because sometimes both are in use at once, and there's quite a bump where they intersect.

Yes, a Victor 1 is a great idea, but there is a tiger country issue (OK, more like shark country). It is at 500 feet well below gliding range to land, so by law you must wear life jackets, not just carry them. If you plan to do this you could either head towards Wollongong, or fly up to Appin and across to the Seacliff bridge, then fly north up the coast.

I did notice in the ERSA that you're not supposed to backtrack at Maitland. It said you must vacate asap. Perhaps there are local rules and ERSA hasn't caught up with them. I will be sure to ask when I call up RNAC for permission to use the airstrip though.

Bob

Bob,

I agree with Mazda. On my trips north from Cooma I elect to fly the coast (I love the scenery) via either Moruya or Canberra, depending on conditions. I track past YSCB (with clearance as I am usually high for glide advantage) to Lake Bathurst, then Fitzroy Falls Reservoir then the coast at the Gong. This way you avoid the R420A area around Nowra. Up the coast from Wollongong along V1 is a top route. Hang a left around Nobbys, follow the Hunter and your just about home.

We'll be looking for your trip report.

Paul