Tell me about your first solo flight!!

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

You know, it's a huge thing in a pilots life, that first time you go up on your own. I still can't imagine that feeling but very hopeful that it'll happen in the next few months.

So what I want to know is how it went, how did your instructor drop it on you or how you instructors dropped it on your students?

I know there's a lot of posts about peoples first solo's but I reckon there's some golden stories to hear about your first solo! So put them up here guys, even you blokes who've been around for a while, aviation's changed so much over the years, I'm sure you guys could reflect that somehow in your posts!

Looking forward to having a laugh and feeling your excitement and enthusiasm. It might also give us students, who just can't see the end of the tunnel yet, that extra inspiration to kick on, study hard and post their first solo experience up here!

Cheers fellas! :thumb_up:

Mine wasn't entirely dropped on me out of the blue, as the weather hadn't been playing along and was waiting for good weather, then one afternoon it was perfect about 5-7kn straight down 09. Up we went in the J160 for two or 3 circuits and good landings and instructor offered me to go Solo. I grabbed it, taxied back and added Fuel so as to counter at least some of the weight loss.

Instructor warned its a totally different aircraft one up, and boy he wasn't wrong! Bactracked 09 trying to keep nerves at bay, lined up, made the call and buried the throttle..... well that was my mistake.. too much power too fast and torque caught me off guard - I was heading 45 deg left for the bush, something took over and i aborted takeoff because i didn't wan't to go bush or try and recover and be snaking down the runway on my solo takeoff. Came to a stop, *breathe* and backtracked again. Pulled my self together and gradually fed power this time, acceleration much quicker and she leapt off the ground, wow. She climbed much better, about 700fpm rather than 300 fpm I was used to with two up. The best thing was that procedure took over, no time for panic, good circuit. I must say i did allow myself a fat grin on downwind which was quickly wiped off when I realised I now had to put this thing down with nobody to bail me out if I stuffed up...

Approach was good, no dramas, and landing was good only she didn't want to land, just floated more than what I was used to, 1500 m of runway so didn't need breaks just rolled her back to to parking bay. It was then my I noticed my hands shaking and heart beating through my chest, and the endorphins kicked in, took a few days to wipe that grin off my face. Instructor was waitng with congratulatory handshake and camera to put a pic up on his wall of fame with other solo students. Cliche but its something I will never forget, box ticked!

Mine.

R461 seems so earnest that somewhat reluctantly, I will attempt to cover it.

After doing 1 hour of "check stalls & spins", then another hour of circuits and landings, I was sent off solo on Jan 11, 1961 in DHC1 (chipmunk) VH-RNF.

I remember starting to think (on downwind) that it was only me who could get this thing down NOW. and everything went OK till I flaired and the Bloody thing contacted the ground with the mains first (we normally did 3-pointers), and I don't know whether it was due to inadvertently pulling a bit of back stick, or just the rebound, but it ended up about 30 feet up, engine at idle and very little airspeed. A chipmunk is not very forgiving of this sort of thing, so I wacked the throttle open, lowering the nose just below the horizon to get airspeed and tried to keep everything under control. This is not an easy manoeuver at any time and I don't think I had ever done a go round from a bounced landing.

Paid a hell of a lot of attention to the next landing and it was normal. I did not impress myself with that performance, and was a bit alarmed that I should so easily get into a situation that I was not really trained to cope with.

In retrospect, having already done what I had that day (2 hours of intensive training), I was probably a bit strained. & fatigued. I would never do this to a pupil, and would certainly make sure that the go-around techniques were covered, well and truly. Nev..

Ah, the wonderful Chipmunk, with the ability to drop out of the sky faster than an eagle.

Looking at today's comments on the Jabiru, I wonder how the guys would have gone on that piece of machinery.

Dunno.

Does an aeroplane (trainer) that has a lot of vices like the more advanced types make a good trainer? Not so sure.

. I reckon the Gazelle is quite an amazing trainer with NO real vices. IF you are properly trained, I don't think it matters, but ,as Tony (TOSG) has said , there is enough to cope with, with weather, traffic, radio procedures, look outs etc. You don't want an aeroplane that "bites" you. Incidently, the instructor inadvertantly stalled from 500' at an airshow subsequently, with distraction from radio calls, and that DHC1 was a write-off. I don't want to chipmunk bash, but you need to pay attention.. Nev.

Damn fine idea for a topic. :-)

Mine was about 6 months ago. It was a fine day with light winds and for a change, it wasn't turbulent. I had brought my wife and youngest daughter to the airfield for the first time so they could watch and video me doing circuits.

On the third circuit on base the instructor says "make this one a full stop". Amazingly enough I only thought, "gee, that was quick!" but didn't think of it more as I had a final to turn. He said, "stop here" after just taxiing off the runway and said "are you happy to go by yourself?" and I said "what! are you serious!?" and he said "I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you were ready". I was surprised because my second landing was crap. Not dangerous but at the time (until last week, arrg) was one of my worst.

I started getting nervous as he got out of the plane but as soon as he left I did my pre-takeoff checks again then make my calls on got onto my runway.

When I was about to roll I thought to myself "this is it, once I am airbourne there is just me". I thought to myself "it's ok, just do what you know how to do" and after that I wasn't nervous at all.

The circuit itself was ok and I swear my approach and landing was the best I ever did. I get a bit distracted with an instructor in the plane because I want to do well whereas then I had no one else to worry about. I loved that flight.

When I taxied to the parking area I couldn't remember whether the dead mag check was at 1800 RPM of 3,500. That was the only issue with my first solo (in my eyes :-))

Unfortunately the missus was really wobbly on the video camera but still. It is good to look at and what a day to have them come to the airfield! She did well considering she hates flying :-)

It seems many of us think the very same things which I guess shouldn't be a surprise.

Steven.

Still very fresh in my memory

Well you asked for it..... this is what I wrote and it appeared in the May 08 edition of the RAA mag.

Cheers

JimG

MY FIRST SOLO CAME OUT OF THE BLUE…

So I am driving over to Kev Walters Flying School early Monday morning (had to postpone to m’day cause of family commitments, wasn’t gonna miss a week)and I’m just thinking we’ll be back doing circuits and landings and that’s great, working on the rudder, keeping it straight on take off and approach,not flaring too high and letting the nose up etc.etc. and if someone had have said to me ,gee today you could do your 1st solo , well I would have thought don’t be stupid, I am no were near ready for that!

Shortly after arriving at the school we jump in the drifter after the checks and “clear prop” we off taxying down the runway to line up for take off . now I am thinking I’ve got to get this right as I’ve made a meal out of my first take offs the last two lessons . So lined up and slowly open the throttle and feeding in left rudder trying not to over do it and off we go ,a little wobble, pretty straight, not bad, yeah now theirs a good start to the day. In the air now and a short flight over to the training strip to start work. Once at the training area we joined downwind ,did the downwind checks, now turning base and then final , on approach now (first time for me at this strip) and Kev says, “a bit of cross wind here so allow for that and there may be a wind shear as we pass below the tree tops so we add 5 knots to our air speed to help with any lose of lift at that point”. Trying to keep all this in mind I landed ,sort of ok , I did feel Kev come on the controls and help out so I sure won’t be bragging about that one.

The cross wind here Kev estimated was about 8 knots and would be almost 90 deg to the runway. I went on to do 3 or 4 circuits and landings , not that good , I don’t think I flew the same path twice and maybe one ,half ok landing , the others I’d rather forget. Man I was really struggling with this today , and Kev could easily see things weren’t going that good so we stopped for a coffee and a bit of a talk about it. Kev decided that my skill level probably wasn’t ready for this much cross wind so we jumped back in the drifter for a bit of nav practice and headed for a 20 min flight, following compass headings and landmarks to arrive at another training strip where Kev believed the prevailing wind would be more favourable. As we were approach the air field I’m bringing it down to circuit height and as we over flew the end of the runway I could see the wind sock dead in line with the runway , I now know enough to realise this is a very good thing , and now joining downwind , downwind checks, turn to base and cut the power for a glide approach, turn to final and nose down maintaining 60 knots (no less) and there is my aiming point on the runway . So I’m using the rudder to stay on my aiming point and wings level with the stick ,ok that’s working good , now all is in control the ground is coming up and there is the flare point ,pulled the nose up a little too high quick correction with the stick, now easing the stick back ,all the way back now and we gentle ease down onto the runway,bit of a bounce and holding the stick back steering it straight with the rudder pedals , not bad…!

Now this feels a whole lot better so off we go flying circuits and landings , probably 4 times with each landing slightly better than the previous with the use of the controls starting to feel natural and automatic, freeing up my mind to work harder on other things and then after the last landing (not even a bounce), Kev says to me “this next circuit you are going to find the controls are going to be a little more responsive and the thing will feel a bit lighter” ,ok , thinking about the situation I replied “is that because of the fuel we had burned off “ “no” he said ”it’s because I’m getting out “ Straight away I said ” Bugga off “ (thinking Kev was having a joke with me) , when I didn’t get an answer I looked to my left and Kev was standing there holding his headset . Hmmm, now I know he’s not joking !!! Kev now says “go and fly one circuit , just do the same as you’ve been doing and if you get a big bounce on the landing go straight to full power and go around, now off you go”.

OK I guess this is it, I’m thinking back your ability ,Kev is a bit of tough master and I’m certain he wouldn’t do this unless he was certain I was up for it , so I waited till Kev had walked well clear and I thought, full concentration now and get on with this. OK ,harness secure, trim set for take off, fuel on ,chokes off, brakes off, switches L to R, boost pump on, gauges L to R all ok ,runway clear check for traffic, EFATO land in the field straight ahead , all done . Now a couple of deep breaths and slowly open the throttle, rolling along nicely straight as an arrow, tail is well up, plenty of speed now ease back on the stick and up we go, couple of hundred feet now ease the power back to 6000 and adjust the nose attitude with the stick to climb out at 50 knots, gee is it climbing well now. On the aiming point with the rudder till I get to the tin sheds on the ground and climbing turn to the left, careful now only 15deg and a gentle roll all the way around cross wind and on to downwind maintaining climbing speed, yeah all good so far, boy is this thing climbing now, not far into downwind and there is circuit height (that was quick), ok, attitude, power, trim for level flight, yeah all good, water temp fine, power at 5400. Maintaining aiming point in the distance and too much time to think (I just remembered I’m up here by my self) downwind checks, harness secure, brakes off, boost pump on, airfield clear.

Here comes the river and its time to turn base, ok nice 30deg turn to the left ,there is my next aiming point and right stick right rudder, neutral(coming off bank turn).

. flying base now looking between the runway and my aiming point deciding where I’m going to pull the power off, I was thinking a little further to make sure I don’t undershoot and now, gentle pull the power back to idle and nose down in the same movement and ease in some right rudder to stop the big power off yaw to the left. Now a quick check for traffic and a nice gentle turn onto final keeping the nose down and min 60 knots, reset trim and using the rudder to line up in middle of the runway and the wings level with the stick , its all going good a bit of control here and there, concentrating and stareing at my spot on the runway a quick look at the air speed , a bit over 60 , so here is the ground coming up ok wait for it don’t flare yet (like turning into a corner too early for my racer friends) and flare now , a touch high , a touch of nose up, quick adjust with the stick

Running parallel with the runway and easing the stick back as the speed is coming off and slowly down on the runway a little bounce, stickfully back and keeping it straight with the rudder all good and stop. Its done, my first solo flight, came totally by surprise and now it’s done…!

Now here comes the dumb act, I see Kev walking back over from a little distance and I’m sitting in the front of the drifter all excited and I just turned the mag switches off and before Kev had made it back I thought, oh no I’m going to get a tune up here because I’ve just parked his drifter in the middle of the runway, dooh! But all was good their was no one else around so Kev didn’t seem to mind and he shock my hand and said “congratulations on your first solo flight, well done !”

I’ve heard and read that pilots never forget their first solo , well I don’t know if that is true ,but even if it isn’t it’ll be a while before I forget!! I also well realise that Kev has taken advantage of the good flying conditions and a reasonably performing student to get the first solo thing out of the road before the “I wonder when anxiety starts to build”.

Thanks Kev, things are going great mate !

Jim Gollagher

RAA student # 021338

First Solo December 1st, 2004.

My first solo was in the Diamond DA20 when I started going for my GA license at YPPF. The previous seven lessons had been circuits with a couple of EFATO and glide approaches chucked in.

It wasn't too much of a surprise as I was told that I should be going solo within the next few lessons and after 0.6 of an hour into a lesson of circuits I got told to taxi to the run up bay and turn the engine off. Then the instructor jumped out and said "good luck & enjoy".

So I sat there and stared at the instruments, very nervous, trying to remember everything I had done over and over in the months before. Then it all came back to me. I started the engine, did all my checks, taxied to runway 21L and made my radio call "Parafield tower, this is HXX ready runway 21L for circuits" to which the reply "HXX, Parafield tower line up runway 21L". So with my response I lined up, then it sank in, like others have written, that I was all on my own now. Then the call came "HXX cleared for take off" echoed in my headset. After my reply, I applied full throttle, pointed the nose down the centre line, pulled the nose up at 60kts and almost s**t myself after climbing at twice the rate than I had been used to.

I made my turn at 500ft then my turn onto downwind at 1000ft. Made my radio call of my intentions of a full stop landing then proceeded to do my BUMPFIS checks, reduced power, apllied 1 stage of flaps and turned onto base. Applied the next stage of flaps and was turning onto final when I got cleared to land. My approach was one of my better ones and the landing was too.

I exited the runway and changed over to the ground frequency where a simple "HXX" is all that required with the tower usually replying the same but this time he added "and congratulations" which I thought was a good touch, made my day anyway.

So that was my first solo. :thumb_up:

Guest roadk99

My First Solo

rank1.gif

Pilot Officer

Airstrip: Bright

Gallery

My First Solo.

Been on holidays at Bright for 2 weeks and have been doing my Flying course in a weight shift trike.Bright Microflights. 1hr 45 min. First Solo flight scared the crap out of me. Took off and got a bit side ways heading for the hangers.over corrected and ended up from one side of the runway to the other.But kept it going.088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif i was up for 57 mins. and i think it was about 50 mins of that trying to calm down.Done another 45mins the next day and all went well.:big_grin: Only 3.5 hrs to go.

Good thread Brett and definitely a day and flight you never forget.

I was blessed with calm blue skies at Point Cook when I went solo in Gazelle 3309 in 2001. I had an inkling I'd go solo that day but that was of course dependent on my instructor and my performance that morning. As with most others, the session commenced with circuits with an EFATO on first takeoff and a couple of glide approaches followed, one final standard circuit with a "full stop at the end of this one please". I thought I'd done pretty well with each circuit, followed all the correct procedures, I identified a few minor mistakes I'd made with my glide approaches and had a feeling this full stop landing would mean "that day" had come.

I felt a mix of confidence and nervousness as we taxied to park and my instructor said "keep it running, I'm hopping out. Do one circuit with a full stop and if you feel comfortable, go up for another couple". With that, I taxied in silence for the long trek from the southern apron to the run-up bay, talked myself through the run-ups and pre-takeoff checks then on to the holding point of runway 17 at Point Cook...a long distance to taxy with plenty to think about I can tell you!

Despite perfect weather for flying, it was thankfully very quiet at the field this day and I had the circuit to myself. Talk through line-up checks...all good, check final and base for aircraft...all clear...radio call "traffic Point Cook, Gazelle 3309 entering and lining up runway 17 for one circuit, Point Cook". I line up and stop on the numbers. Expecting to feel a flood of emotion I don't recall thinking or feeling anything, just going through the process of final check and applying full power.

Now the Gazelle is not a high performer by any standard, but as everyone else has commented, your first flight in an aircraft that has had about 35% of it's normal weight removed is a very different experience!

On that cool, calm morning, alone in the Gazelle I rotated and set climb attitude...and the speed kept increasing...raise the nose to get the airspeed right...now the nose seems too high...doesn't look right but everything else seems OK...500ft comes very quickly and well before the end of the runway...fuel pump off, check clear to turn, left turn...1000ft comes very quickly...level off, set power, set attitude...cruises a bit quicker on downwind...which seems closer to and further down the field than normal...must be due to the quicker climb out...downwind checks...base...check clear to turn...radio call "traffic Point Cook, Gazelle 3309, base 17, full stop, Point Cook"...set power and attitude...not descending at normal rate...reduce power a little...check final clear and turn final...approach looking normal...over the fence...flare about there...bugger, too early...balloon a little...bugger...hold it...touchdown...a little "firm" but not bad...roll through and taxy clear...radio call "traffic Point Cook, Gazelle 3309, clear all runways, Point Cook"...a response on the radio from my instructor "looked good, flared a little early, how do you feel?"..."yeah bloody flare...good for another I think"..."off you go then"...so out I go again for another two circuits.

When I finally parked, shut down and sat there in silence I realised I was sweating and had a headache but felt very calm...it was the most intense yet relaxing experience I'd ever had...and the most rewarding.

It's interesting that this thread should come up again today. I've just watched the replay of 'Talking Heads' in which Nancy Bird Walton talked about her lifetime in aviation. When asked how she felt about going solo, she just shrugged her shoulder and 'I just did it' This echos my own experience. Yes, I was pleased with myself but still had my feet firmly on the ground, so to speak. After all said and done, that was what I had been trained to do, and I did it. Was I nervous, to a point yes, the unexpected rate of climb certainly got the adrenalin going, and when the up rising thermals did their best to prevent the Jabbie from descending as I wished it to, yeh, a bit of anxiety. But I got it down with full flaps and a nose down attitude. One of my better landings actually. I still wish I could grease it in like that, every time.

Of course I'll always remember it, but it wasn't the greatest day in my short aviation history, nor was it the most memorable.

Mine's a little different. I remember the flight before the first solo more than the solo itself.

I had been learning in a Blanik for 2 months in 1980. I had ticked off the whole syllabus in only 29 flights (about 8 hours total), and they were worried it had been too quick. So they gave me a thorough check leading up to the final pre-solo check - unusual positions over the airfield. We were tracking back to join circuit when Rod Stone said "my aeroplane". He put us about 300 feet over the runway intersection at Polo Flat, then handed it back. I had been summing up my options as we went, and being young and adventurous (21) I decided on the coolest option - although I also chose it because it would be the least towing back. I turned downwind about 50m from the runway I intended to use, dropped the gear and tracked parallel as far as the caravan we towed out to the launch point. Everyone waiting there was looking up as I executed a left turn at about 75 degrees with the wing tip pointing straight at the van. Being sure to keep my speed up during the turn, I came out on centreline, pulled flaps and put it down with a minimum roll and an easy tow back to the van.

Rod was very impressed and OK'd me for solo, although he asked what other options I had and why I chose that one. There's a note in my log book (I just checked) to say "be sure to optimise options".

It was great to get back to the van and be able to say "No - that was me flying".

I have almost no recollection of the first solo. According to the log book, it was 18 minutes from a 2000' launch. I know I enjoyed it.

Guest Biggles Jr

first solo

hey,

I posted a thread yesterday about my first solo, which was the day before. I can't get enough of flying..i read about it and never stop talking about it (even to the people who couldn't give a crap about it) i just love it. So i have read a lot of stories about the first solo flight, here (finally) is mine....

I turned 15 on Tuesday, i have trained in Merimbula YMER for 6 months in a Grumman Tiger and a Cessna 150. I wanted to fly solo on my 15th birthday and was crushed to find that i would haveto wait until i was 16 to fly both of these GA planes. So I looked at the options, joined RAA and with 9.5 hours I went to moruya. In the afternoons at Moruya the best thing to fly is your kite, not a plane. Its very windy. I flew half an hour the first day due to wind i then did theory, then we went back there on a saturday and i flew 1.5 hours partenered with a little more theory. That night i studied and passed the BAK by a scratch the next morning, followed by another 1.5 hours flying.

My birthday was Tuesday and the plan was to fly solo that day. I was told the weather would play a huge part (obviously) and to get to moruya very early. I rose on Tuesday before the rooster ever thought he could and went to Merimbula. We flew to Moruya in my uncles Cherokee 6, I expected to fly for around 40 minutes then go solo weather permitting but after 20 minutes we landed and i asked if i was to go again and he said no, take me back now. i got nervous...quickly.

I taxied back, dropped him off and waved goodbye to my mum, dad, brother and uncle and off i went. I thought "just do it". I taxied out to runway 36 for an intersection departure and lined up, i stopped. The hardest part was to apply full power, but when i did it was great. I took off an the gazelle climbed "quite quickly" and i levelled off earlier than expected. But without any problems i entered a glide approach descent and it eventuated in a perfect landing, if i do say so myself. That first circuit was followed by two more and with much dissapointment i couldn't do four. I backtracked, everything i ever wanted since i was really young had just happened. I was 15 and a pilot.

After a few photos and a lot of congratulations we flew back to merimbula.

To anyone flying solo in the near future,

;trust in yourself, don't doubt yourself

;the instructor won't let you go until your ready (it is his plane!!)

;it isn't that hard, you have done a lot of training.

;STUDY, it isn't that fun but i could be helpful in the event of an engine failure.

;have fun!

Ryan :thumb_up:

Well guys, I have had my first solo a few weeks ago but I had my flight test last Tuesday at Bundaberg and in the howling wind I managed to get my wings and my certificate with a hand shake and a smile from my instructor and now have Nav practical to go.

I was so stoked I did not even need a ladder to refuel the 230, I am now looking forward to heading down to the A/C next and just getting in and heading off for a local flight at will.

The windy conditions made the task of landing the 230 with her big long wings a bit of a challenge and I had expected the instructor to say no good today but to my surprise we still went up and I suppose if you can get the thing up and down in those conditions you should be ok in the calm stuff (thats the theory anyway) the wind sock on 14 at bundy was flogging aroung all over the place.

I am now really looking forward to the Nav exercises and seeing a little more than just a few square kilometers around the strip (that all looks very familiar now) haha!!

And Ian Borg if you read this Barry said he would be keen to make Rodds bay a stop on one of the navs so I will let you know, but I am headed back to Bundy Tuesday Wednesday next week for that.

Good luck to all

Watto:yin_yan: