Tales of Bigglesworth

Someone say my name? and my disease? (from riding horses, and its not arthritis)

Also, want some instructions on loading a photo? The Never Ending troubles of a techie.....

Hey, who else has the wog? the Flu type wog, not the Asian Flu type.......

I mean the kind you ket when you are totally worn out, and it makes you feel even more worn out, which is stupid 'cos you're already like that.

What I mean is: the other day I got a taste of what its like to be stupid, and I hope I never end up that way.....

See, normally I can depend on myself to pull me out of about any problem, but on Saturday I planned to fly to Hamilton, only about 400nm away by air-path.

All set, got the plane ready on Friday night, and since the airport is a long way from home, I rolled the sleeping bag out next to the plane and slept in a lovely one-ness with my winged love-of-my-life.

Was a bit worrried about flying next day since I'd get coughing fits with regularity....

Anyway on Sat morning, all ready, hit the starter button.......... turns and tuuuuuurrrrnnnnsssssss, and so I get jumpers and hook it to car battery, tuuurns, fires, then stops.????????

Could be water in the fuel; she was parked outside. So I drain the carby, was fine. keep trying, still nothing and slowing down in turning over. Put car battery back in ute and charge it up. At least ute starts.

A couple of other pilots come over, and one tells me is likely to be CDIs since its a jab. Ummmm, unlikely, but who am I to argue? (don't answer that). Anyway, jumped the battery again, and tested the CDIs..... both of them show dead. ???????????WTF???????

But I have seen twin cylinder motors do this. Well, one, once.

Took CDIs off. Rang Jabiru, they called me an idiot for thinking of both CDIs and say they're reliable as.

And tell me they're worth about $120 each.

Rip-off, methinks. They're Honda ignition modules, I can get them direct.

Went to see my boss, and chased up the CDIs on the parts list, can get them for about $120, $60, or $40 just look a bit different, but we've interchanged them before.

Worked out we had a Honda GX390 on a water pump, so I put the Jab CDIs on it, one at at time....... they were both fine.

Cursed my pilot friends for telling me bull.

Realised that I must have been mad, thank God I didn't go for a fly, and it was just a tired battery, and jumper leads are never worth a pinch of p*ss,

Charged battery overnight, Sunday I put the CDIs back on, charged battery, starts straight away......

Damn I felt like an idiot.

To celebrate, I took Cowboy Up for a bit of a fun run, rounding up clouds.

Ever tried to do 60 plus degree turns (no AH in there, guess angles) around a small cloud, trying to keep level with it and in a even turn an even distance away?

Fun as, then ducking and diveing through gaps in clouds, and all sorts.

Was a stinking hot day, and only got to 100 degrees oil temp, so the coolers are working well.

Anyway, make the trip another day,

Won't be in time to be the 1000th post, so I'll just have to post some dirty joke, get banned and comment deleted, and let someone else have a shot at being the 1000th.

Y'all have a nice day?

Carry on, I'll fill you in more next time when you will hear 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif :hittinghead:

And I got almost all your books! Biggles learns to fly. Biggles beats the Nazi's. Biggles blows up a dam.006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Was a big Biggles fans as a kid. And I do actually have most of the books somewhere ;>

Don't worry about the disease Bigs, it's just leprosy.

I had a lot of trouble with CDI on the race car, always when attempting to start it, but it never failed once the engine was going. Didn't have an alternator, so the longer the race day the flatter the battery. It usually failed first thing so I put it down to needing 100% cable connection, which might explain why you got a dead result with the jumpers.

With the Jab, first flight of the day, if it's cold we hit the button with no choke, then very gradually pull the choke out until it fires. I've seen guys hanging around for an hour trying to get a Jab fired up. Then an instructor goes out when the sun is up (clever, those instructors) and it fires straight off the button, OR we often put a 240 volt heater under the Jab, then go and have a cup of coffee, and it fires with no choke.

I got tired of those crappy jumper leads and made up a set from heavy duty welding cable and solid bass clamps. pay paticular attention to how the cable connects to the clamp. never had a problem since even with the big truck.

btw if you have trouble wit the spelling from me it an't y fault

i lft my pet cockatiel onmy desk and he picked all the keys off the keyboard on th laptop took me ages to work out where they went. now some keys i have to hit with a hamer to get them to work right.

ozzie

BigW, I've been thinking about the 60 degree angle of bank, where you would be at 2G's, and given the $5 compass, nick down to any shop which sells school equipment, get a Big$2 protractor, drill a 1 mm hole on thecentre of the base line, whach a nail through it into the dashboard, and two things will happen:

(a) You'll have a better dash than Slarty

(b) It will react faster and give you a more accurate reading than an EFIS.

BigW, I've been thinking about the 60 degree angle of bank, where you would be at 2G's, and given the $5 compass, nick down to any shop which sells school equipment, get a Big$2 protractor, drill a 1 mm hole on thecentre of the base line, whach a nail through it into the dashboard, and two things will happen:(a) You'll have a better dash than Slarty

(b) It will react faster and give you a more accurate reading than an EFIS.

006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

Jab ignition modules need about 350rpm to produce a spark. Have you done the modification to connect the earth lead directly to the starter rather than to the engine. That may help.

Are we correct calling a Jab ignition CDI. I don't think there is a capacitor to be charged and discharged in the system, but I may be wrong. If there is one it is very small and probably on the low tension side of the circuit. Does anyone have the real lowdown on the modules.

CDI modules

I have heard from those that know more about these things than I, that the modules Jabiru use come from the same source as the commercially available ones with the same part number. However; they have a different setting in their electronics which allows for higher revs before the over-rev protection cuts in.

Jack. :) :)