Flying into Townsville

Guest crows

Guest crows

Can anyone please adivse on flying into Townsville, i have heard of a x-strip appox. 10km south west of the city called Oak Valley. Any information would be welcome.

crows

Guest Brett Campany

Might want to call the locals to make sure it's not flooded or degraded after the cyclone went through earlier this week.

Guest Maj Millard

Oak Vally is also called Montpelier Air park (yes, you've got the link there) which is run by Andrew Hicks. You can call him on 0419720398, tell him you talked to Ross. There are about four different strips there, two long, two shortish. Has been very satruated from recent rain, and Andrew has been trying to discourage usage lately until things dry out a bit, which they have been doing lately as we have been getting a bit of sunshine. It's the closest to town, right next to Class C boundry, and right next to the large Townsville water catchment dam, which is chockers at the moment, so easy to find. Other recommendation would be Starke Field, about 5-10 mns West of Oak, mostly ULs, 2 strips, undercover parking if your lucky. Furthest out of town, about 40 mns and you would need a lift or pick up. There's also Donnington Airpark, on the highway, about 6nm from Starke. Landing fee, and not a lot else, but you might get a ride into town. Also 40 min out of town.

When are you coming ? PM me if you like, I'll give you my phone No. and I'll help you out where I can, with more info or whatever. I also know the coastal and inland routes North from Cabul if you need info there. OK.........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 1 year later...
Guest pembs

Flying in to TSV

Yep the airfield is 12 km south of townsville it has 4 runways of differing length let me know if you need the GPS coords and your correct it Oak Valley you can see it on Google Earth

Guest Maj Millard

Montpelier currently requires some caution if operating there. If we have had recent rain (good possibility) there could be wet softspots on some runways, and possible washouts if the rain has been heavy. Also because of the ever increasing green grass, that the rain has kicked off, the Wallabys and larger Grey roos often frequent the runways especially late afternoon. There are also the ever present anthills that pop up continually all over the place, and have the capability of taking out a nosewheel or tailwheel if large enough.

When the runways are freshly mowed the anthills usually get knocked down by the slasher.

They have been mowed currently, as I flew saturday. If in doubt call Andrew Hicks on 0407918638 for a current runway update.......................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest pembs

Montpellier Airfield Status

If you cannot get Andrew you can always give me a call I live 500meters from the airfield and frequently run on the runways early in the mornings and knock over the anthills. My number is 0419725971. Cheers One last note the web site to montpellier is no longer active.

• 5 years later...
Montpelier currently requires some caution if operating there. If we have had recent rain (good possibility) there could be wet softspots on some runways, and possible washouts if the rain has been heavy. Also because of the ever increasing green grass, that the rain has kicked off, the Wallabys and larger Grey roos often frequent the runways especially late afternoon. There are also the ever present anthills that pop up continually all over the place, and have the capability of taking out a nosewheel or tailwheel if large enough.When the runways are freshly mowed the anthills usually get knocked down by the slasher.

They have been mowed currently, as I flew saturday. If in doubt call Andrew Hicks on 0407918638 for a current runway update.......................................................Maj..024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

A mate and I will be heading for the Townsville area in early July. This thread is now pretty old. What is the current status of Montpellier Field? Is Andrew Hicks still the man to contact? Cheers, Laurie.

Guest Maj Millard

G'day..Keenaviator, Andrew is mostly inactive these days and may or may not be up with runway conditions. Runways are generally serviceable, but still caution if after heavy rains.....haven't had much lately...and of course the ever- present wallaby hazard on all runways.

The main bottom runway 09-27 is occasionally blocked off due cattle being run on it with temporary fencing. Cars will be parked at bottom of other two runways for easy visual of fences. Montpelier is right on the TVL Class C boundry immediately to the East...and a powerline runs along the road by the hangars if an approach is required to runway 18 with southerly winds.

Give Pembo or myself a call if planning to come in (see post # 8) ..

I gather from the above by "into" Townsville you mean remaining OCTA?Just realised above posts are not current and you stated Townsville area, disregard unless you are planning into YBTL.

That's right Frank, OCTA, that's why I said 'heading for the Townsville area'.

I have flown into YBTL a few years ago in a Jab on a round Australia flight but would prefer this time to go lower key. Plus the Jab restrictions would preclude me from flying into YBTL I reckon.

It would be a bonus to catch up with some recreational flying folks too.

No problem with the instrument and still accessing YBTL should you wish but generally you will find more sociable people at the smaller strips, just another number at bigger locations (just more convenient for fuel).

Only limitation in Qld is Archerfield, some would argue differently but to be honest I am over discussing it with them.

• Like 1

Have any of you townsvilleites ever used bluewater park? I have a cousin who lives within walking distance from there and would love to fly up there in a year or two, but just wondered what the strip was like in regards to freedom of use, busyness ect.

Guest Maj Millard
Have any of you townsvilleites ever used bluewater park? I have a cousin who lives within walking distance from there and would love to fly up there in a year or two, but just wondered what the strip was like in regards to freedom of use, busyness ect.

Blue water is currently owned by a business syndicate and has a sizeable landing fee I believe, strip is usually fine however.

" landing fee"..........geeez, i'll have to be creative with my call sign..........again.

About $10 last time I was there, no AVDATA only manual collection. Bitumen strip but breaking up in parts, have to dodge the bad bits.

I try and dodge the bitumen bits lol:hide:

Well hopefully next winter or the winter after you will see me asking again in readiness for a trip and not just daydreaming:thumb up:

• 8 years later...

A mate and I are planning on flying up to Townsville shortly and was wondering if any locals can share some tips. 

At this stage, we'll probably fly into YBTL, Donnington and Bluewater both look to be a bit far from town for public transport or a cab, but I did see Donnington to have an entry about transport to town, so I will touch base with them in a day or two to cover my bases.

Has anyone flown up there recently that can shed some light on where itinerant aircraft parking is at YBTL, it's not obvious from their aerodrome charts and are there any gotchas or tips for flying in the area up there?

Ta muchly.

1 hour ago, KRviator said:

A mate and I are planning on flying up to Townsville shortly and was wondering if any locals can share some tips. 

At this stage, we'll probably fly into YBTL, Donnington and Bluewater both look to be a bit far from town for public transport or a cab, but I did see Donnington to have an entry about transport to town, so I will touch base with them in a day or two to cover my bases.

Has anyone flown up there recently that can shed some light on where itinerant aircraft parking is at YBTL, it's not obvious from their aerodrome charts and are there any gotchas or tips for flying in the area up there?

Ta muchly.

Donnington is good; may even get an open hangar to park at, fee is $10-; great value. They have events last weekend of each month.  Details on Facelook Donnington Airpark.  Cleveland bay is the training company based at Townsville airport.  I have not visited Blue water.  Cheers

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 months later...

So, a quick followup. I ultimately decided to fly to Donnington Airpark and don't regret it for an instant. Was met on arrival by Christian, one of the owners, got an open hangar for the 2 nights, and driven into and picked up from our accommodation in Townsville. The 'taxi' service was $50 each way, and $10/night for a hangar, IIRC, $10 landing fee, for $130 all up - and I reckon that'd be about half of what I'd have been charged for YBTL and an Uber to our hotel from the big airport.... The runway was beautifully kept short grass, and about 900m long, albeit with a bit of shear on final from the easterly breeze.

Unless you have to fly into Garbutt, keep Donnington in your back pocket - I'll definitely be going there again. :score 010:

• Like 3
  • Informative 4