Are you medically fit for a Class 2?

Turnerj

Are you Medically fit for a Class 2 medical?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Medically fit for a Class 2 medical?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure (would have to consult a DAME)

I thought it would be interesting to know how many people have been effected by Casa's recent decision to make the class 2 medical mandatroy for controlled airspace.

I'm all good:thumb_up:

Im goin for a Grade 1 next week, had a grade 2 for a few years... My ticka beats extremly slow, about 45 resting ...so you can imagine the way CASA carry on about that..ive gotta get pokked, prodded, scanned, whipped on a treadmill, blasted full of radio active dye, scanned some more...Awell, small price to pay hey??

Im goin for a Grade 1 next week, had a grade 2 for a few years... My ticka beats extremly slow, about 45 resting ...so you can imagine the way CASA carry on about that..ive gotta get pokked, prodded, scanned, whipped on a treadmill, blasted full of radio active dye, scanned some more...Awell, small price to pay hey??

Just get someone to give you a big fright just before you go in...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif that should get the ticka ticking....006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Ps. I should be alright I hope. I got 10 toes and 10 fingers, is that the sort of thing they look for:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Redair
Ps. I should be alright I hope. I got 10 toes and 10 fingers, is that the sort of thing they look for:laugh:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Oh dear... that has me worried.... I only have 8 fingers!!

But then I do have 2 thumbs as well:hug:

Redair.

Oh dear... that has me worried.... I only have 8 fingers!!But then I do have 2 thumbs as well:hug:

Oh know...That has me wondering if I've even got a brain...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif:confused:036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

So yeah... 8 fingers it is:thumb_up:

I am breathing and have a pulse.. does that count for anything? :hittinghead:

That may well be but the big question is can you remember how to count i_dunno 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

No.. 4 injections on insulin a day took that possibility out of the equation for me... Have to say, the need for this medical for the new CTA endorsement was a pain for me, Im shortly to move to Coffs Harbour. There is a complet lack of ultralight friendly facilities in the area and coffs is class D for tower hours.... I guess I'll have to speak lovingly to the bank manager and see if I can make do with 70 or so acres out west of coffs in class G friendly skys....

Ive heard that some Type 1 diabetics have fought and won the medical, but as I understand each win does nothing in setting a precedent and everyone after has to repeat the entire fight... not something Im keen to do. The unfortunate fact is that its the case of the lowest common demonimator applying again because that is the easiest thing to do.

Andy

No.. 4 injections on insulin a day took that possibility out of the equation for me... Have to say, the need for this medical for the new CTA endorsement was a pain for me, Im shortly to move to Coffs Harbour. There is a complet lack of ultralight friendly facilities in the area and coffs is class D for tower hours.... I guess I'll have to speak lovingly to the bank manager and see if I can make do with 70 or so acres out west of coffs in class G friendly skys....Ive heard that some Type 1 diabetics have fought and won the medical, but as I understand each win does nothing in setting a precedent and everyone after has to repeat the entire fight... not something Im keen to do. The unfortunate fact is that its the case of the lowest common demonimator applying again because that is the easiest thing to do.

Andy

Hey Andy, I have heard of stem cells being injected into the pancreas that enabled it to regain full function without a need for any injections. Last I heard the young guy from NZ who received the experimental treatment was living a happy healthy life 10 years on.

Always a bit of a worry

The bi-annual, its always a bit of a worry and concern when you are in your fifties and older as the old bod` starts to slow down a little. Funny how I exercise more and eat better about 3 months before my medical.

I think good to have a class 2 for controlled airspace and any space for that matter, although you dont hear about many heart failures in flight class anywhere, its a debatable point.

Flying on drugs and medication is more the issue I believe. Very dangerous if mixed and mistakes in judgement happen.

Oh well if I fail the class 2 someday and cant get it back I am glad to have maintained my RA-Aus license. Some great ultra-lights out there like the Lightening etc to go fly in!032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif.

No.. 4 injections on insulin a day took that possibility out of the equation for me... Have to say, the need for this medical for the new CTA endorsement was a pain for me, Im shortly to move to Coffs Harbour. There is a complet lack of ultralight friendly facilities in the area and coffs is class D for tower hours.... I guess I'll have to speak lovingly to the bank manager and see if I can make do with 70 or so acres out west of coffs in class G friendly skys....Ive heard that some Type 1 diabetics have fought and won the medical, but as I understand each win does nothing in setting a precedent and everyone after has to repeat the entire fight... not something Im keen to do. The unfortunate fact is that its the case of the lowest common demonimator applying again because that is the easiest thing to do.

Andy

Andy, i also am a type 1, but it is actually possible to obtain a class 2 medical. however they slug you with a copilot restriction. All that is required is a strict set of guidlines and have a favorible report from an endocrinologist. PM me if you want some more information.

Guest Andys@coffs
...... it is actually possible to obtain a class 2 medical. however they slug you with a copilot restriction.......

I guess if I was to be describes as glass half full, or glass half empty, then empty is how I would be described. Geting a class 2 but requiring a copilot, pressumably who also is CTA endorsed and has a class2 is not exactly how I would describe a good outcome. To me that is a piric victory that actually achieved nothing other than making you go away (after contributing to the DAME retirement fund.....)

Andy

Guest pedrok
I think good to have a class 2 for controlled airspace and any space for that matter, although you dont hear about many heart failures in flight class anywhere, its a debatable point.

There was one last year regretably

Guest smenkhare

Not sure,

When i first got mine several years ago (it's expired now) I got a letter saying I had to go see an ophthalmologist but a week later the medical arrived

Guest basscheffers
There was one last year regretably200801652

A heart problem which this guy's class 2 didn't find...

Not to mention this exact same accident could easily have occurred flying with a passenger, who could slump over on the controls.

I am not a doctor, but from my experience with the tests they seem to do, there must remain a whole lot of ways to have a time-bomb for a heart without them discovering it during a class 2.

I had to get a report from the ophthalmologist who did my LASIK 6 years previous. I think they were afraid my cornea might be thin enough to cause my eyes to explode at 15,000 feet unpressurised or something.

After sending them the letter, I got my medical OK.

Guest pedrok

I get Class 2's every two years and its a nice thing as it forces me to go in and get a "standard checkup". Most of it from what I have observed is calculating your risk factor based on your answer to how much you drink, exercise compared to the routine items like blood pressure, urine test "poke and prod"

The only ridiculous aspect is the cost. You pay $130 to the doctor and a hundred or so to CASA for administration. Considering you can walk in and get the same check-up for free on medicare. I actually did that when I had to do very similar tests for my maritime medical and an RTA one as a tour guide - same tests but bulk billed with no admin fee

[insert] man banging ahead against wall while being continually ripped off everytime someones includes the word "aviation" in anything he does buys or even looks at [cease insert]