RAAus Planes Written Off at Avalon

Guest Cloudsuck

Guest Cloudsuck

News is filtering through that a micro burst or something has written off a number of RAAus aircraft at Avalon as well as damaged several GA aircraft. Among the planes written off was Brian Melbourne’s beautiful Savannah. This aircraft was a work of art and will be sorely missed at Boonah. Some photos are available at The Flying Tigers Recreational Aviation Club Brian's plane was totally uninsured. Brian recently hosted the RA level one maintenance forum at Boonah.

damaged Planes.

Yes. Just saw this on the news. A Foxbat as well as others. Someone must have info on this. A pity when this sort of thing happens. Last Year I went and the weather was ordinary, but I would call this weather EXTRA-ordinary. Persons who have had their planes damaged have my sympathy. They have tried to do the right thing by the movement. Nev..

Guest Brett Campany

Oh no, from what I heard due to the weather it's been a bit of a fizzer this year, this micro burst is a real kick in the guts for those who were out there. I feel for you guys and hope everyone's ok. Looks like the camping area got a thrashing as well.

How about that Foxbat that was thrown into the air!!

Hi all,

Can confirm 3 aircraft were turned over and a few others damaged following a squall at about 6.30 at Avalon last night. We had just left the field and were preparing to go out for dinner with Mick Poole and a few others from the Antiquers when many mobiles started ringing and the news came through.

Aircraft we're aware of that were turned over were a Savannah, a Foxbat and a Gazelle. The RA-Aus tent was fine but our Antiquers tent, the World of Flight and SAAA tents were all lifted and strewn causing damage to a one of a kind aircraft called the Silver Century - a magnificent aircraft which had flown from Perth for the event. There was also a Renegade from Lethbridge that was lifted and landed on top of a Jabiru - the gear and left wings of the Renegade were severely damaged but the Jabiru was apparently only scratched. There were also reports of damage to a number of other aircraft including our friends Stinson known as "Grumpy" which came down on its right wing and has cracked the wing tip hoop.

Mick Poole did a fantastic job of coordinating the clean up initial investigation, assess aircraft damage etc.

There will be many pics of the mess come out in the coming days I'd suggest given the number of folks taking photos last night and this morning.

Guest brentc

Here is one of those pics.

Most RA staff and volunteers headed home as the tent was full of everyone elses crap. Damn antiquers 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

broken.jpg.b7313e406ec9ee75dc6ac311ffe47989.jpg

Guest Cloudsuck

Yeah just heart breaking Tomo, like a lot of guys, Brian is a pensioner and war veteran and built his immaculate machine to an exceptional standard. He is the type of guy who helps everyone with anything and never asks anything in return. Bloody shame.

Yeah just heart breaking Tomo, like a lot of guys, Brian is a pensioner and war veteran and built his immaculate machine to an exceptional standard. He is the type of guy who helps everyone with anything and never asks anything in return. Bloody shame.

I second that, I recently met Brian at Boonah and he is a charater I will never forget, his Savanagh was just spectacular to say the least and the generosity of Brian is no different.

I hope a few guys can get together and either help re-build his savavagh. If is is not repairable we should organise for a bit of a fundraiser to help towards replacement.

Another post made comments to the fact that Brian and others have flown along way to have their planes on show for the RA-AUS, maybe they can help aswell.

I'm sure an extra $10 per membership would go along way to help replace some of these guys planes and I doubt anyone would have a grudge in paying

Guest Cloudsuck
I'm sure an extra $10 per membership would go along way to help replace some of these guys planes and I doubt anyone would have a grudge in paying

That's a great idea. I wouldn't have a problem.

Guest Brett Campany

I'm waiting to get paid at the end of this week, I'll be more than happy to whack on an extra $10 to give Brian a hand

"Bloody sad".

Mother nature can be so cruel sometimes, when you least expect it.

My heart goes out to all those who have suffered severe losses. However, the sort of guys that are in this movement, will, i'm sure, help you to minimise the impact.

Hope you all win Lotto as partial compensation for all the hours and dedication that you've put into your aircraft.

Kind regards

Planey

Cloudsuck,

Do you have any ideas on how we can start a bit of a fund to help Brian, maybe the flying tigers have a bank account ppl can direct deposit into to help?

Choices

Guess again.thumb_down

While the mateship and intent to help someone out with such a project is commendable :thumb_up:, being uninsured is a personal choice and thus places the risk and liability with the individual who made that decision.

I don't like paying the insurance premium each year, but I do. I'm certainly not interested in underwriting the risk of those who choose not to.

I expect that I'll get black balled for writing this, but I'll bet you London to a brick there's a heap more thinking exactly the same.

Regards,

Steven B.

Guest drizzt1978
Guess again.thumb_downWhile the mateship and intent to help someone out with such a project is commendable :thumb_up:, being uninsured is a personal choice and thus places the risk and liability with the individual who made that decision.

I don't like paying the insurance premium each year, but I do. I'm certainly not interested in underwriting the risk of those who choose not to.

I expect that I'll get black balled for writing this, but I'll bet you London to a brick there's a heap more thinking exactly the same.

Regards,

Steven B.

Hate to admit it, Dad always said. Never drink and drive, never drive uninsured. Guess the same goes in the Air.

BUT I WILL DONATE!!! Its such a pitty......051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest Cloudsuck

Thanks for your post ahlocks, I respect your view.

However, if there is anyone out there who does want to help out some fellow aviators in need, here are the details.

Westpac Bank

BSB. 032 747

ACCOUNT No. 187519

ACCOUNT NAME: Members support account

Or call RAAus on 02 6280 4700 if you wish to help out.

Guest Brett Campany

That's ok Steve, not everyone can afford insurance unfortunately, especially an old digger on a pension like Brian. I'm on an OK wicket so when I eventually buy my own aircraft I'll get it insured like some others here as well but there's a fair few blokes who in time of need might need an extra hand. I'll be more than happy to help out.

:thumb_up:

I can see your point Ashlocks I honestly can and if was just a guy who was flying out of his depth or on a private flight and got caught in weather I would definately not be interested in helping.It's the risk you take for being uninsured.

It's just in Brian's case he helps so many people and also flew all the way to Avalon to represent RA-AUS. Thats the situation I don't mind helping.

Circumstances.

There are some unique aspects to this situation.

When you are an exhibit you are there for the duration of the Show. You can not leave till it is all over.

The facilities for tie-down are not ideal.

The weather was pretty extreme.

It is for the benefit of the organisation that these people went there..

The main operator responsibility is to cover third parties. Cover for some of these aircraft is not easy to obtain. FULL comprehensive may not be a realistic option.

I support the idea of kicking a bit in (in this instance). Nev.

G'day Blah.

I'm sure Brian is a lovely bloke and sounds to be deserving of the support being offered. I also think it would be inappropriate of me to continue debating the pros and cons of the issue here. Another thread perhaps?

Cheers!

Steven B