Carriage of ELB's to be mandatory

Admin

[imgalign=left]http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/ra-aus-forum/8590d1238387891-avalon-plane-damage-fighting-fund-raalogo.png[/imgalign]CASA have indicated to the RAAus that they are introducing the mandatory carriage for pilots flying Recreational Aviation aircraft to carry a suitable ELB.

At this stage the criteria will be that any RAAus Pilot flying a 2 seat aircraft greater than 50 nautical miles from their departure point. This new regulation does not apply to pilots flying a single seat aircraft.

The RAAus Board are currently discussing a response to the new CASA regulation and will respond with the best interests of the majority of RAAus members.

However irrespective of the Boards response, the RAAus does recommend that all RAAus pilots do carry appropriate safety equipment in all types of aircraft at all times including a suitably stocked First Aid Kit.

Guest pelorus32

I hope that as the Board discuss this with CASA they are able to arrive at a position where a PLB is considered to meet this requirement.

If CASA insist on an ELB then that is a substantial cost implication for operators. In addition any ELB fitment to LSA aircraft will require approval of the manufacturer.

Regards

Mike

Guest davidburge

I agree, GA pilots going over 50nm from home have to carry one, but it can be an in the pocket model, doesn,t have to be hard wired

Reminds me of a past edict from the regulator which mandated a full flight plan for all flights in excess of 50nm - still didn't stop people getting lost, or going down! Must be something about 50nm?

This is another of those rules where we really need to ask - where's the proven need? Has there been a sudden increase in RAAus aircraft going down where a PLB would have saved the day?

happy days,

Guest brentc

I wouldn't argue about the need for life insurance which is exactly what the ELT/PLB is and add to that the savings in cost to the rescuers who will have the ability to potentially go straight to the site to pick you up rather than waste many thousands flying around looking for a needle in a hay stack.

More importantly would be to ask why it's not required on single seaters. I guess with no passengers, on your own you are fully aware of the risks of flight - I can't think of another reason for this.

Not relevant to everyone here however there is an excemption on non charter GA aircraft for carriage of a beacon until June 30th provided that a flight plan is filed.

Governments have to be seen to be doing something, even if it is a waste of time and money.

It would be nice to see the numbers of aircraft going down and found because they had a beacon. Both GA and RAAus.

The real problem is that once a beaurocrat decides there is a safety issue, there in possible way to stop him stuffing it up.

Guest brentc

If you are often flying on the weekends and monitoring the area frequency you would be quite surprised as to how many beacons do actually go off. I'd go as far as to say a minimum of once a month I've heard and that's only when I've heard it because I happened to be flying at the time. Many of those may be accidental and include boats etc but agreed it would be good to see some figures.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/attachments/ra-aus-forum/8590d1238387891-avalon-plane-damage-fighting-fund-raalogo.png[/imgalign]CASA have indicated to the RAAus that they are introducing the mandatory carriage for pilots flying Recreational Aviation aircraft to carry a suitable ELB.

At this stage the criteria will be that any RAAus Pilot flying a 2 seat aircraft greater than 50 nautical miles from their departure point. This new regulation does not apply to pilots flying a single seat aircraft.

quote]

Going on that wording, what sort of a regulation is that?

Do we assume that the twin seat AC is more likely to go down or do we assume that the single seat pilot is not as important.

What about when the twin seat AC has only the pilot in it,can the ELB be left behind or does the pilot always have to carry a passenger to justify the ELB.?

If the twin seat AC has only the pilot in it,where is the difference between the two AC.?

While the carriage of a suitable ELB is a worthy idea,I don`t differentiate between the two aircraft as far as a search and rescue is concerned

Someone needs to get real.

Frank.

Forgot to add this bit,Why greater than 50NM?.

There`s a lot of area for an AC to disappear, within this distance, as it`s the terrain it`s being flown over and not the distance from base that determines it`s visibility, in the event of a crash.

Frank.

Guest Warwick

Absolutely Frank. I think immediately of a flight from Caboolture to Watts Bridge for example. Go down in that terrain east of Lake Sommerset in among those trees and the ranges - would take a lot of finding. What price your life if at first you survive and then die before someone can get to you?

Guest Maj Millard

I'm with you too Frank, Plus I don't like the way CASA is suddenly coming in on us, after many years in the past wishing we would simply disappear. Have they got us figured as the new GA ?. And look how they handled that, killed it with over-regulation and Bullxxxx.

Their previous head-in-the-sand attitude cost us a good life or two back then.

Hey I agree too, that carrage of a PLB is a great idea, but so far it's mandatory PLBs and Mandatory Human Factors....where will it stop ?????

My twobobs worth.............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G`Day Ross,

Short answer," It won`t stop".

We`ve almost done full circle back to what we tried to get away from,in the first place.

I have no problem with intelligent regs. however I`m sick of nonsense like the above one.

Cheers,

Frank.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Guest brentc

The 50 mile rule has been around in GA practically forever and there are surely reasons for it. Things in the RA-Aus world are becoming more professional so we had all better get used to it. With RA-Aus creeping into the bottom end of the GA world we will need things sorted and free of politics etc otherwise 760 will never come along.

CAR 252A of 1995 is the regulation that mandates carriage of ELTs in Australian aircraft. In the aviation regulation environment ELT is a generic term covering emergency transmitter locators, personal EPIRBs and PLBs.

If you check our CAOs 95.10, 95.32 and 95.55 you will see that currently they exempt RA-Aus aircraft from the provisions of CAR 252A.

Suggest you read what I have written at www.raa.asn.au/comms/safety.html in the section titled radio distress beacons, or something like that.

For information here is the 1 February 2009 issue of CAR252A which adds the requirement for beacon registration with AMSA.

252A Emergency locator transmitters

(1) The pilot in command of an Australian aircraft that is not an exempted aircraft may begin a flight only if the aircraft:

(a) is fitted with an approved ELT:

(i) that is in working order; and

(ii) whose switch is set to the position marked ‘armed’, if that switch has a position so marked; or

(b) carries, in a place readily accessible to the operating crew, an approved portable ELT that is in working order.

Penalty: 25 penalty units.

Note For the maintenance requirements for emergency locator transmitters, see Part 4A. See also subsection 20AA (4) of the Act.

(1A) An offence against subregulation (1) is an offence of strict liability.

Note For strict liability, see section 6.1 of the Criminal Code.

(2)Subregulation (1) does not apply in relation to a flight by an Australian aircraft if:

(a) the flight is to take place wholly within a radius of 50 miles from the aerodrome reference point of the aerodrome from which the flight is to begin; or

(b) the flight is, or is incidental to, an agricultural operation; or

© CASA has given permission for the flight under regulation 21.197 of CASR; or

(d) the aircraft is new and the flight is for a purpose associated with its manufacture, preparation or delivery; or

(e) the flight is for the purpose of moving the aircraft to a place to have an approved ELT fitted to the aircraft, or to have an approved ELT that is fitted to it repaired, removed or overhauled.

(3)Subregulation (1) does not apply in relation to a flight by an Australian aircraft if, when the flight takes place:

(a) an approved ELT fitted to the aircraft, or an approved portable ELT usually carried in the aircraft, has been temporarily removed for inspection, repair, modification or replacement; and

(b) an entry has been made in the aircraft’s log book, or approved alternative maintenance record, stating:

(i) the ELT’s make, model and serial number; and

(ii) the date on which it was removed; and

(iii) the reason for removing it; and

© a placard stating ‘ELT not installed or carried’has been placed in the aircraft in a position where it can be seen by the aircraft’s pilot; and

(d) not more than 90 days have passed since the ELT was removed.

(4) For an emergency locator transmitter, emergency position indicating radio beacon or personal locator beacon to be an eligible ELT, it must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must, if activated, operate simultaneously:

(i) in the frequency band 406 MHz–406.1 MHz; and

(ii) on 121.5 MHz;

(b) it must be registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority;

© if it is fitted with a lithium‑sulphur dioxide battery — the battery must be of a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with TSO‑C142 or TSO‑C142a.

(5) To be an approved ELT, an eligible ELT must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must be automatically activated on impact;

(b) it must be of one of the following types:

(i) a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with:

(A) TSO‑C91a for operation on 121.5 MHz; and

(B) TSO‑C126 for operation in the frequency band 406 MHz–406.1 MHz;

(ii) a type that CASA is satisfied:

(A) is operationally equivalent to a type mentioned in subparagraph (i); and

(B) performs at a level that is at least equivalent to the level of performance of a type mentioned in subparagraph (i).

(6) To be an approved portable ELT, an eligible ELT must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must be portable;

(i) an emergency position indicating radio beacon of a type that meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.1:2003;

(ii) a personal locator beacon of a typethat meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.2:2003;

(iii) a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with:

(iv) a type that CASA is satisfied:

(A) is operationally equivalent to a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii); and

(B) performs at a level that is at least equivalent to the level of performance of a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii).

(7)In this regulation:

approved ELT means an eligible ELT that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (5).

approved portable ELT means an eligible ELT that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (6).

AS/NZS 4280.1:2003 means:

(a) the standard AS/NZS 4280.1:2003, 406 MHz satellite distress beacons, Part 1: Marine emergency position‑indicating radio beacons (EPIRB) (IEC 61097‑2:2002, MOD), as in force from time to time; or

(b) a later edition of the standard mentioned in paragraph (a), as in force from time to time.

AS/NZS 4280.2:2003 means:

(a) the standard AS/NZS 4280.2:2003, 406 MHz satellite distress beacons, Part 2: Personal locator beacons (PLBs), as in force from time to time; or

(b) a later edition of the standard mentioned in paragraph (a), as in force from time to time.

eligible ELT means an emergency locator transmitter, emergency position indicating radio beacon or personal locator beacon that meets the requirements mentioned in subregulation (4).

exempted aircraft means:

(a) a high‑capacity regular public transport aircraft; or

(b) a high‑capacity charter aircraft; or

© a single seat aircraft; or

(d) a turbojet‑powered aircraft; or

(e) a balloon; or

(f) an airship; or

(g) a glider.

high‑capacity, in relation to an aircraft, means permitted, by the aircraft’s certificate of type approval:

(a) to have a maximum seating capacity of more than 38 seats; or

(b) to carry a maximum payload of more than 4,200 kilograms.

single seat aircraft means an aircraft that is equipped to carry only one person.

(8) In this regulation, a reference to a particular TSO is a reference to:

(a) the particular TSO, as in force from time to time; or

(b) a later version of the particular TSO, as in force from time to time.

cheers

John Brandon

A lot of recreational pilots including myself seem to have purchased the GME 410G ELT. I'm not entirely sure this unit meets all the the criteria set out in CAR252A set out in the previous post.

For example:

(5) To be an approved ELT, an eligible ELT must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must be automatically activated on impact;

If that is the case then I think it has been a rather poor showing by CASA to wait until after we have all gone and spent $600 or more on a new ELT before changing the rules to say they are not good enough.

GRRRRR!!!!!!!

Glen

Guest Crezzi

If I understand it correctly, portable ELT (Ie PLB) don't have to auto activate so I think the MT410G should be acceptable as the GME website does have a certificate of conformity to AS/NZS 4280.2.2003 http://www2.gme.net.au/certificates/MT410DecCon_Aus.pdf .

(6) To be an approved portable ELT, an eligible ELT must meet the following requirements:

(a) it must be portable;

(i) an emergency position indicating radio beacon of a type that meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.1:2003;

(ii) a personal locator beacon of a typethat meets the requirements of AS/NZS 4280.2:2003;

(iii) a type authorised by the FAA in accordance with:

(iv) a type that CASA is satisfied:

(A) is operationally equivalent to a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii); and

(B) performs at a level that is at least equivalent to the level of performance of a type mentioned in subparagraph (i), (ii) or (iii).

Cheers

John

Glen, I think you will find the MT410G is approved by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority [AMSA] as a PLB so it meets the CASA requirements for a portable ELT. AMSA 'owns' the S&R system not CASA. In the aviation regulations ELT is a generic that also includes PLBs and EPIRBs and portable EPIRBs.

John Brandon

I also believe the GME MT410 EPIRB also complies with the standard, albeit without the GPS function, and is around $150.00 cheaper (approx $450.00) than the MT410G model … not a large saving but something to consider when on a limited flying budget.

Jack