What do you do for a living?

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Maj Millard

First job out of highschool was as a telegram boy at the post office...remember telegrams !!........then joined the RAAF as a Safety Equippo at Richmond 2AD, 486 hercs, 10 Sqn Townsville Neppies, then 4 years at Willytown with 77 Sqn Mirages. Got out and bought a Parachute shop and manufacturing business, supplying Skydiving equipment to skydivers.

Then overseas with several jobs including custom leather tailor, leather designer, tiler, plumber with a dabbling of auto repair as required. Loaded night-freight for two years with United parcel Service (UPS), whilst retraining as an aircraft engineer, where I've worked since, both in California and Australia. Currently employed at Air Whitsunday Seaplanes at Airlie beach/Shute Harbor maintaining Cessna Caravan and De Haviland Beaver Amphibs in the tourist area. Perfect job would be manufacturing/assembling new recreational aircraft in a factory envioriment with a bit of test flying and delivery on the side !...................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy earthmoving/ag machinery mechanic, aka - diesel fitter. Also small engine, petrol. Hydraulic, electrical systems, general machinist, welding etc... Farm assistant, truck/tractor/machine operator.

Wood turner, carpentry, decrotive art/craft. Leather work, sewer (as in sewing!...) aircraft maintenance assistant.

Brass Instrument and dodgy piano driver... 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Pilot... 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

I'm a structural engineer and manager with a large engineering company. Have worked on a lot of different projects over the years. Everything from offshore rigs and grain terminals, to mine buildings, satellite tracking antennas, hotels, factories, train stations, hospitals, offices, schools and museums, etc, etc. Only started flying in early 2010 (late starter), but currently building an RV-12. I suppose you could call it a transition to retirement project, except that retirement has been postponed indefinitely or until it's finished - whichever comes first.

rgmwa

Perfect job would be manufacturing/assembling new recreational aircraft in a factory envioriment with a bit of test flying and delivery on the side !...................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Let me know when you find out a firm where there are a couple of jobs like this and I will be beating a path to their door (and work alongside you, Maj). 030_dizzy.gif.fecc2d0d52af5722561e47dee1add28d.gif

• Like 1

Spent my life in hi-tech engineering. Worked my way up to senior management and then realised that I wasn't getting to do any design any more, so I worked my way back down again... augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif Love designing/building/testing, and I'd desperately love to roll my own a/c, but I'd need to be retired to have the time, and not retired to have the money. Ah well. If business keeps going the way it is, I mightn't have much of a choice before too long 073_bye.gif.391d1ddfcbfb3d5f69a5d3854c2b0a02.gif

'eightyknots said

I can see why you soon became a self employed construction consultant. You would have run out of work in your previous job: after all, how many council buildings need to be inspected? '

.................................. - Councils are very easy targets for the tarnished (ripe tomatoes - get your juicy red, over ripe, red tomatoes here) nevertheless .................................. understanding of job description, employee interaction and relationships need some polish 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

25 years in admin and then sales in the Telecom's industry. Got out of the corporate world and the wife and I bought a country hotel & motel, so now a publican. Also an SES volunteer in a road crash crew.

I'm also a long term (21+ years) SES Road Accident / Search and Rescue volunteer ... Run a couple of businesses from home in the spare time - Setting up, Installing and training on computer systems, for the Small Office / Home Office user; a handmade-lacemaking supplies business; Instructional design and training delivery in just about anything; also a business consultant - currently full-time project manager for a media-distribution-over-the-internet project. Hoping to convince the CEO / CFO (wife) 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gifbabe.gif.538cdeac3b1a1b72d121d00509ec140e.gif that I'm primed and ready for retirement while we can still enjoy it! Would like to travel around the country with Caravan & Aerochute in tow to see as much of this place from both the ground and air, and have fun doing it! super_hero.gif.5d50ddb84d4e7e727183b80b4acbc28c.gif 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif :rotary:

Peter

I spent 42 years in the avionics LAME game ... 16 in airlines at Perth, Darwin and Adelaide then 26 in general aviation at Jandakot (proprietor of Skycraft Electronics which is now called Airflite Avionics). Was lucky enough to own a Beech Sundowner (VH-UMF) and later, a Beech Debonair (VH-DYT). Sold out and retired eight years ago but have recently commenced building a Morgan Sierra 100. John.

Hi again John, we had similar interests before converting to Morgan Sierras. I used to fly (did not own) Beech Sundowners, Beech Musketeer, Beech Sierra, Beech A36 Bonanza,

Our 6 cylinder Morgan Sierra has a similar performance to the Beech Sierra but without the 200hp engine, constant speed propellor and retractable undercarriage, I realize that it is only a two seater but still not a bad performance in comparison.

Alan.

• 1 month later...
@downundertrucker: Do you like the EZ's? I've always liked the look of them ever since I saw one at Archerfield.

Yes, I like most canards. They are very efficient economical aircraft although their down side is they need alot of runway and not really suited for grass/dirt strips. The Long EZ is one of the best I think in terms of economy and cross country capability...and no one can argue at how cool they look...

I'm a GP who got sick of the rat race and I now do rural and remote locums. when I can I fly myself to the jobs -- based in SA I have flown to Narromine, Nyngan, Broken Hill, Leigh Creek, Port Augusta......It is a great way to get to work.

currently working in North queensland so have left the little bird at home

Peter

Next time in YBHI call in at the aero club. You will be most welcome. We have morning tea every day except Sunday 10am. Always a good chat.

I'm a GP who got sick of the rat race and I now do rural and remote locums. when I can I fly myself to the jobs -- based in SA I have flown to Narromine, Nyngan, Broken Hill, Leigh Creek, Port Augusta......It is a great way to get to work.

currently working in North queensland so have left the little bird at home

Peter

You would be MORE than welcome to stop in to Laverton WA 6440 for a locum placement anytime. (hard to get GP to come out here) (own clinic, and a small community hospital servicing ~300 people in town and ~200 people in surrounds).

I work about 107km S.E. of there trying to stop "kids" killing themselves in the "sandpit".... (OHS Advisor to a mining company, also Medic for them)

Formerly a Registered Nurse and also electronic tradesman.

Live on the Gold Coast QLD (yeah, the 16 hr commute to work sucks, but not as much as the 24 hr return trip). 2 on 2 off roster aint so bad.