Radio call syntax

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ken deVos
Hmmm, it appears me come upance has been served - Love it! :thumb_up:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Oftentimes you have to wait for the perfect opportunity ahlocks. :big_grin:

Guest Crezzi
John, the problem will arise when RA-Aus registers its 10,000th aircraft. Then, for example, "Jabiru Citation 10123", would you announce: "Ten, 0neHoundredAndTwentyThree", or

"OneHundredAndOne, TwentyThree", or perhaps

"TenTwelveThree"?

I guess that just using the last 4 digits would provide sufficient differentiation.

On a different theme, it's a shame nobody (AFAIK) has ever designed an ultralight called Speedbird. Would be interesting giving calls on area freq as its the callsign for British Airways flights.

Guest Ken deVos
Well, well, well, I was just surfing and found Ahlocks in a corner.Make a note of it Ken - he's usually as slippery as a jellyfish.

It's all good fun guys :)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Ken deVos
I guess that just using the last 4 digits would provide sufficient differentiation.

According to the VFR Guide...

AIRCRAFT CALL SIGNS

Improper use of callsigns can result in pilots executing a clearance intended

for another aircraft. Callsigns should never be abbreviated on an initial contact

or at any time when other aircraft callsigns have similar numbers/sounds or

identical letters/numbers.

eg: CHARLIE WHISKY ZULU - WHISKY CHARLIE ZULU.

Pilots must be certain that aircraft identification is complete and clearly identified

before taking action on an ATC clearance. ATS will not abbreviate callsigns of

air carrier or other civil aircraft having authorised callsigns. ATS may initiate

abbreviated callsigns of other aircraft by using the prefix and the last three digits/

letters of the aircraft identification after communications are established.

On a semi serious note;

I've always thought that "Sportstar" is a fool of call sign and to use Evektor is just as big of a mouthful and probably even more confusing to other traffic....Hence why I've prowled though the ops manual, etc., to try to find something simpler. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Unfortunately, "Beercan 1234" just isn't acceptable...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Guest Crezzi
According to the VFR Guide...

AIRCRAFT CALL SIGNS

Improper use of callsigns can result in pilots executing a clearance intended

for another aircraft. Callsigns should never be abbreviated on an initial contact

or at any time when other aircraft callsigns have similar numbers/sounds or

identical letters/numbers.

eg: CHARLIE WHISKY ZULU - WHISKY CHARLIE ZULU.

Pilots must be certain that aircraft identification is complete and clearly identified

before taking action on an ATC clearance. ATS will not abbreviate callsigns of

air carrier or other civil aircraft having authorised callsigns. ATS may initiate

abbreviated callsigns of other aircraft by using the prefix and the last three digits/

letters of the aircraft identification after communications are established.

I've yet to hear anybody call up as "VICTOR HOTEL ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE" but isn't that the full callsign ?

I guess theres plenty of time for another update to the ops manual before we reach 5 digit regos !

Guest Ken deVos
I've yet to hear anybody call up as "VICTOR HOTEL ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE" but isn't that the full callsign ?I guess theres plenty of time for another update to the ops manual before we reach 5 digit regos !

Hmmmm

Then the full call sign in my example should include the "24" prefix, correct?

Guest Crezzi
HmmmmThen the full call sign in my example should include the "24", correct?

No - your correct callsign is the aircraft type followed by the last four digits of the registration as per section 4.02 of the ops manual.

Guest Ken deVos
I've yet to hear anybody call up as "VICTOR HOTEL ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE" but isn't that the full callsign ?I guess theres plenty of time for another update to the ops manual before we reach 5 digit regos !

"VICTOR HOTEL ALPHA BRAVO CHARLIE" is probably what is called when the aircraft is overseas, but we need someone more qualified to confirm this.

Also, five digits in RA-Aus is only around the corner. The aircraft I flew last weekend is 24-7003, albeit there are gaps in the rego sequencing.

Comment.

VH-ABC Would be your initial call to a particular station, unless you are planned under a flight number. It could be abbreviated subsequently. (Initiated by ground station). (This is how it used to be, I'm not current). The aim is to ensure there is no confusion with other aircraft operating on the same frequency, at the time.

Guest Ken deVos
VH-ABC Would be your initial call to a particular station, unless you are planned under a flight number. It could be abbreviated subsequently. (Initiated by ground station). (This is how it used to be, I'm not current). The aim is to ensure there is no confusion with other aircraft operating on the same frequency, at the time.

Thanks for that facthunter.

In regards to the "VH" prefix, my understanding is that it is a throwback from the old 'Post Master General' who allocated licenses to all radio stations in Australia (and aircraft with radio transmitters are indeed radio stations).

On an aside, a typical car based transmitter call sign would be VH-3UU and the "VH" is part of the call sign and used every time (or was when I had to do it). For example, "VH-3UU, car-3 calling".

On another aside, was the original aircraft rego prefix "G", before "VH"? Anybody know?

Guest Crezzi

"G" is the British prefix - probably stopped being used here after independence !

Cheers

John

Guest Ken deVos
"G" is the British prefix - probably stopped being used here after independence !Cheers

John

Yep, that makes sense, thank John.

Independence.

When was that? "Independence"! I remember that Australia went to the 2nd world war because "Britain was at war, and as a consequence, Australia was at war".

All "states" world -wide that have an aviation authority are allocated their own nationality prefix, exclusively. NZ is ZK, Britain is G, America has N and numbers( I'm only giving these as examples and could be wrong, and they only relate to aviation , so pick me up on the details, if you wish. Nev