Radio call syntax

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a bit of stirring going on Motzart, some people may get their kicks out of it, but there's a bit of an effort being made here to create confusion. Trouble is it could result in an accident down the track.

Oooh, you're good Turbz. Try as I might, I just can't resist the bait....

Confusion? We've discussed differences in phrasing that are in popular use and the merits of it using that differing phrasing in a rational manner, including examples. We've also established who the authority is for standard phrasing, what that standard phrasing is, and how that standard is promulgated.

The rules are freely available and written in plain english. What people do with that information is up to them. It's not my job to enforce compliance.

As for getting kicks out of it, Ok. I confess! I looove kicking the pedestals out from underneath self proclaimed authoritative 'experts' who don't do their research properly and then sprout c:censored:p as fact.

So, I suppose that this is 'game on' over a another storm in a teacup...i_dunno

Please don't let me stop the games.

The "All stations" call would usually stay in the base Act, and be superseded by the "Wagga Wagga Traffic" start if the 2005 changes had passed through Parliament as an Amendment#, which could explain the difference, otherwise as we previously found out the CAR takes precedence and John Gardon's comment would be right. I couldn't find anything relating to the 2005 package, but someone else may be able to enlighten us.

# very frustrating because over time you finish up with an Act with all the original wording, and many amendments until eventually they are all incorporated in the one document again as a new Act

I'm just a simple soul, but I reckon "All Stations" is just that - anyone who can hear the call.

"XXXX" Traffic is only directed at traffic in the vicinity of XXXX.

EDIT: just found the AIP reference - AIP GEN3.4 page 32:

"All Stations" - when a pilot/ATC broadcasts general information.

"XXXX Traffic" - when a pilot broadcasts location specific general information.

Oh Tubz! You're as bad as I am with this pedantic stuff...

First and foremost, I recognise the excellent work that John puts into the RAA web site and believe that he got it right when he developed the site. Hence why I've kept me yap shut... Until now.

CAR 1988

82A sets out who is responsible for setting the standards (CASA) and how the standards are to be published to the great unwashed. (us)

99A reinforces that AIP and notams are the authoritative reference and applies a penalty for non compliance (with an interesting defence provision)

ENR 1. GENERAL RULES AND PROCEDURES - effective 12 MAR 09 (i.e. Current.)

Spells out the procedure that CASA (the regulating authority) wants to happen and where.

21. RADIO COMMUNICATION AND NAVIGATION REQUIREMENTS

21.1 Summary of Report and Broadcast Requirements

21.1.1 In this section:

a. ‘Report’ means a mandatory radio report from an aircraft to the

appropriate ATS unit.

b. ‘Broadcast’ means a radio broadcast from an aircraft on the appropriate

frequency to provide advisory traffic information to other aircraft.

We've already discussed what the format is, so no need to repeat that. So we'll flick along to the disputed part 68;

68.4 Use of the collective “ALL STATIONS” must precede a general information

broadcast.

They've already specified how they want a traffic broadcast to be phrased, so now they're specifying how to phrase a GENERAL message.

i.e. "All stations. sigmet just received advising that the storm in a tea cup is just that"

Cheers!

P.S Just saw your post Graeme and concur. We are just making things far more difficult for ourselves than is warranted.

Yup!.

I agree with you GraemeK. The underlying feature of this discussion is THAT. information out there relating to OPERATIONAL matters is not clear and unambiguous. The ACT should not be a working document for operators in the field.. You should not have to be a Lawyer to fly an aeroplane without fear of "doing something wrong". Nev.

Motza.

Congratulations, best wishes for an interesting and rewarding career, trying to stuff some sense into a mob like us must have well prepared you for instructing.

Haha.. thanx yenn.. Ive learned tonnes from this site.. This thread is a perfect example..

And i think 99% of dudes on here are very sensible.. Unfortunatly being unsensible in this game ends up precluding people from participating in discussions of any kind, other than with saint peter..;)

cheers and thanx again..

Guest ozzie

OK i don't use a radio these days in my toy but did back when working on DZs. so compare the following example that was the way i was taught with the way being required today

"all traffic elderslie,--- kilo zulu papa rolls 27 elderslie"

power up and go (we're parked on the threshold no taxi involved) once airborne cleaned up & climb power set broadcast the following

"all traffic elderslie,--- zulu papa a twin otter is airborne this time off 27 ---on climb to flight level 140 remaining within 5 nautical miles--- estimate top of climb at 16 ---will call again this frequency 2 minutes before drop ---zulu papa elderslie"

The --- is a one second pause, radio stays keyed during this pause.

so here i am uncurrent in radio yak. how would you do this transmission today

ozzie

aarrggghhh... my pet hate.... the "rolls" call...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

"rolling" would make you happy then would it?

Not picking at all, just interested:big_grin:

What's wrong now?

Not a thing Tubz...I thought that you'd crafted a very clever NESian type of response and it tickled my funny bone. :thumb_up: Ooops! :confused: ...took me serious hat off too early. 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Cheers!

Very good.. straight to the top of the class..:thumb_up:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

That's good!:thumb_up: At least I'm rolling down the right track....!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Cloudsuck
aarrggghhh... my pet hate.... the "rolls" call...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My pet hate is people who get upset about calls made in the third person. It is actually quicker and there is nowhere in regs which prohibits it.

eg. Alpha Bravo Charlie turns base 04 or Alpha Bravo Charlie is turning base 04. Either way, doesn't make much difference to me.

oh dear......036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif... Are you in the aircraft?? or watching it??

Theres many, many....many words that aren't Mentioned in the rules... Infact ALL the words in the english language that aren't part of standardised radio phraseology could be assumed to be "the wrong ones".. Do we need to have the entire dictionary reproduced in the rules for standardised phraseology to preclude them all??...or do we just say that THIS is the right way to say something...anything is else is .....wrong....Be as unprofessional as you like... but remeber the world is listening...Both your examples were phrased incorrectly..

Correct technique.

Should be encouraged as it aids understanding and clarity. It is safer. That is good enough for me. The variations are not clever and do not sound like commercial pilots. At least I hope not. You don't say ABC "IS" either. It is "ABC or something1234 ,Turning base". It isn't sissy to do it right, and it can be pretty cowboy the way it is done sometimes. Nev.

Guest Cloudsuck
oh dear......036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif... Are you in the aircraft?? or watching it??Theres many, many....many words that aren't Mentioned in the rules... Infact ALL the words in the english language that aren't part of standardised radio phraseology could be assumed to be "the wrong ones".. Do we need to have the entire dictionary reproduced in the rules for standardised phraseology to preclude them all??...or do we just say that THIS is the right way to say something...anything is else is .....wrong....Be as unprofessional as you like... but remeber the world is listening...Both your examples were phrased incorrectly..

I am most definitely in my aircraft as my aircraft turns down wind. Maybe you could enlighten us further?

As far as the English language goes, and I'm no expert but as an example, I recall a post by someone on this forum entitled, "Ya know what I hate?". If you want to get that picky Motz, perhaps you should go back and have a look at some (most) of your own posts for unprofessional use of language.

As far as saying this is right or this is wrong, where do you get your information about what is right or wrong if it is not published?