Human factors. :(

I just attempted a human factors exam.

It was a "walk in and do" go, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

** This is simply a statement and not an attack on the school/person/instructor/etc where I was.

Problem noticed:

One of the questions was about drinking time to flying.

a: 8 hours.

b: .022 blood alchahol.

c: It doesn't matter

d: 8 hours or .022 blood alchahol.

The correct answer is D

Yet, while chatting with another CFI, who has been to the "Human factors" thing in Canberra, etc, said that there is no reference to blood alchahol level in the testing.

Honestly I would say that if "D" is correct, then by default "B" should superseed "D".

Comments?

If you passed the exam I wouldn't stress about it. As with all things, the exams will require a little "tweaking", especially this one as it is relatively new. I am assuming this was the new RA-Aus Human Factors exam you did.

If you think doing exams is hard, try setting them! No matter how unambiguous you make the answers, there is always someone who can mis-interpret a question, or read it wrongly, or find the wrong answer for the right reason. With new exams it is quite possible for a less-than-perfectly-correct answer to be selected as the best out of the choices. With a bit of feedback from candidates, usually these answers get weeded out or changed to eliminate the ambiguities etc.

IIWY, I'd inform the instructor who administered the exam and have him follow up with RA-Aus. I'm sure he'd appreciate the feedback. If the wheel doesn't squeak, the brakeman won't give it any oil!

Guest tmpffisch

Rule is 8 hours from departure. You are required to be at 0.0 however CASA provides a buffer up to 0.02. Alcohol in the blood up to 14 hours after drinking, effects up to 24 hours.

D is more correct than B.

Hmmm. My Human Factors book is for PPL but I haven't seen a reference to a blood alcohol limit in it, it simply says 8 hours and notes that you may still may be alcohol affected. It makes it hard to get ir right if the training material is different!

Steven.

How in heavens name can you or I tell what is our blood alcohol level. From my understanding it relates to how much you consume, your body size and your metabolism, plus other factors. I dont think I have ever seen an easy way to get a blood alcohol reading in a flying school or club.

Really the answer they want is irrelevant.

Guest basscheffers

Yenn, it is relevant when the man from CASA comes and checks you with a breathalyzer!

The rule is quite new, as far as I am aware. It provides a hard limit to prosecute on, which before didn't exist. Hence it is still not in most textbooks.

answer.

the answer is 8 Hrs without drinking AND below .02 as has been stated. It would be quite difficult for an individual to know whether he met the requirements, and if you have been giving it a bit of a caning you can blow well over .05 ten hours after your last drink. However guess who's problem that is? If you are taking codeine, you will fail the test as well. ALL pilots should study the reference on the CASA site http://www.casa.gov.au/aod. Actually , not just pilots, anybody who might be doing something affecting the operation of an aircraft. Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger. Nev..

I'd suggest the 0.02% rule has been brought in because a pilot with a high blood alcohol reading would just have to argue that he hadn't had anything to drink for 8 hours and CASA would not be able to do anything. This way they still keep the traditional 8 hour rule and have toughened up on the amount of alcohol in the system. The reason for 0.02% and not double 00 is that most juristictions legislate for a 0.02% variation in their breathalyzers and in certain very very rare cases, there may be naturally ocurring alcohol in a person's system.

Exactly.. Without giving too much away, one of the exams words it diffrently, it says, "the time after the last drink depends on the amount of alcohol consumed".. That probably sums up what the question is designed to teach us...

Guest ozzie

things mechanical and booze just don't mix, even 24hrs later your head is still fuzz.

back before breath testing 8 hrs was the accepted norm. Now we know better the ruling had to change and a actual limit set.

WITCH.jpg.02a2616ab856d258cf940391ad6b9518.jpg

Ofcourse on a slightly different approach:

As I do NOT drink, the question is somewhat moot for me.

I do not touch beer, etc. It doesn't do anything for me and so I take no pleasure drinking it.

Human factors exam.

The fact that you don't drink alcohol will not absolve you from having to answer the question, in the human factors exam. I would suggest that you should acquaint yourself with the situation regarding the medications which will cause you to fail the aod test as well. Nev.

I read the book and while I don't have it in front of me I cannot recall seeing any blood alcohol level quoted. As this is the bible as far as RAAus is concerned, are they changing the rules as we go along?

Guest Ken deVos

Changes to the Civil Aviation Act (1988) were made in August 2007 to ensure CASA was able to implement a broad ranging random testing regime for drugs and alcohol.

The AOD management plans are detailed on page 70 of the "Safety Behaviours - Resource Guide for pilots" (2009 CASA) and forms part of the "Human Factors for Pilots Resource Guide" ....

THE CASA AOD INITIATIVE

Scope

The initiative applies throughout the aviation sector in all areas of Australia. The CASA-coordinated random AOD testing component of the program covers personnel undertaking, or available to undertake, safety-sensitive aviation activities.

The education component of the program is accessible to all personnel and organisations within the Australian aviation sector.

TESTING PROCEDURE FOR ALCOHOL AND OTHER DRUGS

What substances will be tested?

Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabiol (THC), the active component of cannabis

Methylamphetamine, also known as speed, ice and crystal meth

Methylenedioxymethylamphetamine (MDMA), also known as ecstasy

Benzoylecgonie, the major metabolite of cocaine

Opiates, found in heroin, morphine and codeine

Alcohol.

What are the permitted levels?

Testable drugs:the permitted level is a concentration of the testable drug in 100 ml of blood, less than the confirmatory target concentration for that drug specified in table 5.1 of the Australian Standard 4760-2006.

Alcohol:the permitted level is a concentration of less than 0.02 gm of alcohol in 100 ml of blood (or a concentration of less than 0.02 gm of alcohol in 210 litres of breath).

On who, when and where will testing be conducted?

Any person present in an area that safety-sensitive aviation activities are undertaken can be asked to undergo a test in accordance with the regulations

Testing will be conducted 365 days, 24/7

Testing will be where any safety-sensitive aviation activities occur and will not be limited to metropolitan and major regional centres.

How will the testing be carried out?

An independent authorised collector can ask for an oral fluid sample for drug testing and/or a breath sample for alcohol testing.

Guest Crezzi
Rule of thumb "8 Hours bottle to throttle"

I'm not sure that I would describe a requirement of the RAAus Ops manual as "a rule of thumb" !

Under the new Drug and Alcohol testing regime already quoted, the permissable level of alcohol in the blood is .002%.

Under the regulations, "8 hours bottle to throttle"

CAR 1988 (Civil Aviation Regulations)

(3)A person shall not act as, or perform any duties or functions preparatory to acting as, a member of the operating crew of an aircraft if the person has, during the period of 8 hours immediately preceding the departure of the aircraft consumed any alcoholic liquor.

Penalty: 50 penalty units.

So the exam is correct. Both .002% and 8 hours apply.