beach Landings

Mate of mine wants to get his RA license and is an avid surfer. He asked if it was possible to land on beaches. Are there certain beaches that allow this? Are you able to obtain permission on some?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Shags

My understanding is that all beaches are controled by Dept of Natural Resources and as we all know, you cannot land anywhere, or go below 500 feet, without land owner's permission. DNR don't give permission except in very rare circumstances so I think it is a no-no. That said.....................................;);)

Cheers

Bill

Oh Oh Oh Oh (Jumping Around) I want to land on a beach too!!!

Well if you can't (considering your location) what hope have the rest of us got question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif

(just land behind the boat - no one will see)

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

I prefer not to think about the legalities of it, and they would change with each state.

There are a lot of people landing on beaches in Qld, in fact there is Aeroplane Beach, just below Bustard Head lighthouse.

Most of the beaches in my area are OK to land on if they are on the outside of an island, the inside ones my be muddy rather than sand. Have a close look at them, checking for rubbish and roughness. Keep below the dry upper sand and the water to be on hard sand. If in doubt to a touch and go at above stalling speed and then look at the wheel marks, they should not dig in.

Taxyiing can be a problem when you turn round, once you feel the need for a lot of power to roll is the time to shut down and hand manouevre, especially in a taildragger, which could nose over. But the taildragger is probably the best bet for beach landings.

legally, its a no no... realistically, the most fun i reckon i ever had (in an acft) was doing touch and goes all the way from busted head to 1770 in the skyfox with my old instructor... actually from memory it was that hour that i finally started to get the hang of the flair, takeoff climb to 50 feet , lower the nose, reduce power to idle and land..repeat process..lol... was exellent.. but remember, it is illegal. (mostly):thumb_up:

Guest drizzt1978
Well if you can't (considering your location) what hope have the rest of us got question.gif.c2f6860684cbd9834a97934921df4bcb.gif(just land behind the boat - no one will see)

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Arhhh there be no sand near tooradin, If a wheel touched that mud/slime you would stop dead, faster that a Boeing dreamliner in production....

what if the beach has legal vehicle access? i have a holiday spot at Hat Head, between south west rocks and crescent head, both beaches either side ar 12 miles long, and the only people on them most times are in 4x4s. so i figure, you just buy your beach driving permit. wait for low tide. i could be wrong though...

what if the beach has legal vehicle access? Interesting point.

It could be argued that an aircraft is simply a vehicle and if this is accepted then it could be possible to gain permission,it may take a court ruling however.

In the early days of the club,The Far North Queensland Ultralight Association did a lot of flying on the Atherton Tablelands,from a private strip at a holiday ranch for the general public,called Pioneer Valley.

A new neighbour to the ranch decided he didn`t want Ultralights flying there anymore and the owner of the ranch was just as determined that we would continue to fly there,so it ended up in a lengthy court battle.

It was finaly argued in court that the aircraft were legal vehicles and vehicles coming onto the property to use his services were essential to his buisness,the court ruled in his favour and we continued to fly there,however there were some restrictions.

Frank.

I don't know if it is still the go, but back in the early 90's we got beach permits (same as 4wds) for fraser is. and slipping sands area north of Noosa...strapped the rods to the struts, reels and tackle and large plastic bag for the fish we occassionly caught into the boot area behind the turtle deck of the trusty taildragging skyfox and had a ball..things to watch out for is tide..winds...washouts (land on the hard sand) and we never had a problem :ah_oh:

Guest Brett Campany

I reckon give the council a call to where ever the beach is in that locality.

That's how the guys up in Broome get away with it on their trikes.

Guest hatrack

I fly gyrocopters and we actually have beach landing endorsements with our mob. The rule is that it must be an uninhabited area, which is generally accepted as a beach which doesnt have a road giong to it. I figure that as we operate under CASA, it must be legal and dont ask any questions! I cant help it if my 2-stroke plays up now and then.... Besides, there are rarely many people where I fly, between Hervey Bay and Bundy. They dont appreciate it at Fraser though, except for the dedicated beach landing areas.

Guest Walter Buschor

It might be prudent to land on the beach. Bursting bladder, rough engine , airsick passenger . the list goes on.

It was the safest option sir......!

happy b...ch landing

Guest Walter Buschor

how many landings can you do on a 10 mile beach?

Hi Yenn,

it all depends. In a 150 that would be 1 as you would probably never leave the ground again. ( a little like an air car - you come from the air and remain as a car since the bl...dy thing will not take off again. 10 mles won't be long enough to get it airborne ).

anything else as often as you like .

many happy landings - and take-off's!

the grey Nomad

Yenn, not sure mate, i lost count.. all i know is the first landing i was still having trouble judging the flair (3 pointers), but by 1770 i had it nailed.. I would estimate somewhere near 20.. as the beach curled around we got a xwind component, so learned how to deal with that as we went aswell.. Best value for money 15 minutes of flying i ever had.. pitty we cant do it legally..

Iv'e just discovered one of the drawbacks of flying at the beach. There can be two way traffic and both pilots can be fixated on where they are going and the land alongside them. I watched a mate of mine going round an island and worked out exactly what he was doing. While he was going along the end and watching his track, I crossed the island and came at him so that as he turned the corner at the end I would be coming across in front of him. He never even saw me although I was about 100' above him and 500m ahead of him. No risk as my speed was 1.5 times his and I had him in sight all the way, but I was very surprised when we landed and he said he hadn't seen me.

So the moral of this story is when flying low along a beach, keep an extra good lookout.

So the moral of this story is when flying low along a beach, keep an extra good lookout.

Yeah,you might even see some white pointers.;)

Frank.