Engine run ups on the threshold

Guest Qwerty

Guest Qwerty

Are me and my mate the only two pilots that get mad with pilots doing checks and run ups on the threshold, particularly when there are aircraft (me in absolute particular) in the circuit. Sometimes the mongrels (if that is the propoer term for them) just sit there and take their sweet ol' time. I am aware of one instructor that teaches this, when I see him (and remember) I am going to open the topic for debate with him.

What do you lot think about sitting on the runway forcing others to go around?

Quentin Winston Erty

Moderated by Ian for language

Guest Decca

Whatever he's doing QWE (and make sure it is in fact a pre-takeoff engine run-up, or you may trip yourself up) seems a bit off.

Is it just at your airfield?

You obviously have a run-up bay??

Decca.

Well it all depends on the situation as always! It's not an ideal position to be in, basically a sitting duck with your back turned!! But I do have a soft spot for those where a run up anywhere else is criminal to the prop, because there is no " other non" stony area...!

But I agree, if there is any other acft in the circuit, it's not fair for them! And don't do it if you can run-up elsewhere....

Moderated by Ian for language

Quention, you'll have to stop writing in Tasmanian - we use English in Australia.

Yes, it's appalling airmanship. At Tooradin, we use the concrete around the terminal area, with the tail pointed out of the way and another concrete pad on a section of a taxyway - it's not that much of an effort really.

If the whole aerodrome is covered in gravel a working bee and a concrete slab would solve the problem surely - cheaper than props I would think.

It's also possible to do your runups on the roll. That greatly reduces the chances of picking up stones.

The Jabiru propellor manual recommends this if there is no stone-free runup bay, so it must be a good idea. They do mention that it is for the experienced only - or those who don't have Jabiru brakes 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif.

You got in ahead of me about the Jab brakes Slarti (only because you are doing other things with your hands of course), but that was often a way to save time on the long taxy from parking area to line up at Moorabbin, and not too hard on the brakes if you slowed first.

Run-ups on the roll.

Murder on the brakes and if something went wrong, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. Probably encourages an abbreviated check, too, and you MAY have someone behind you.

Runups on the runway is something that I havent had to consider as it's the first time that I have heard of it. It is OFF really and once you line up , you are not meant to waste time sitting there. As has been pointed out, you cannot see approaching traffic, and anyone in the circuit seeing the aircraft in that position would assume that it will commence take-off immediately, or if it had a problem, vacate the runway expeditiously. nev..

Absolutely bad airmanship to do run ups on the runway or the holding point, once you have entered the runway you are ready to go!! run ups should be done in a run up bay or prior to getting to holding point and I haven't been to an aerodrome/airstrip where this can't be done (stationary or on the roll totally up to you)087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Guest Qwerty

There is plenty of sealed area with places to do run ups and checks OFF the runway. I don't think checks and run ups on the move while back tracking is somthing that probably should be taught to abinitio pilots, particularly when its simply not neccessary.

Sorry about the language Ian, attention elsewhere.

I would have thought that this was poor airmanship as the aircraft on final has right of way at all times.

Check your Air Leg? - the aircraft on final has to go round if there is another aircraft on the runway.

Check your Air Leg? - the aircraft on final has to go round if there is another aircraft on the runway.

Which makes it even poorer practice (if that is possible) to occupy the runway doing runups with another aircraft on base of final.

Sic 'em Quentin.

(I did have a 'Structa once tell me of the merits of doing run-ups & a final carb ice check off at the side of the keys after a long backtrack, thereby allowing another aircraft to come in if needed)

I get cranky when instructors spend 2 or 3 minutes on the htreshold talking to students while I'm waiting to line up. But maybe I'm just impatient.

There is no way I would even think of doing run-ups on the threshold. It jsut seems inconsiderate of the other aircraft around you.

Guest Cloudsuck

Not if it's a glider (with no radio) as is often the case at our field.

It happens infrequently but we do get GA guys fron Archerfield doing runups with their back to the traffic and with gliders in the CCT. What the hell are they thinking?

Guest Crezzi
Runups on the runway! just another example of anti-social behaviour. I hope we never have to get used to it!068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I don't know if they doing their runups, waiting for an imaginary clearance or praying to their chosen deity but I frequently see planes line up then park up at YCAB - exceptionally poor airmanship IMO. You shouldn't enter the runway until both you & the plane are good to go AND its clear to depart.

Cheers

John

PS I'm sure the culprits aren't any of the posters on this thread ;-)

Guest Cloudsuck
So what happens when the glider comes in?

We all run out and start waving and pointing to try and get the pilot to get moving. If he dosen't, I guess they might crash (hasn't happened yet).

We had a close call when a visiting Tecnam pilot lined up and was doing checks, (not too long) but long enough to have his back to the traffic. He called lining up at the same time as a glider called turning final. They transmitted over the top of each other so the pilot of the Teccie didn't hear the glider. Teccie started rolling just as the glider was coming over the fence.

Guest Cloudsuck
Parallel grass emergency strip?

That would be ideal, but never going to happen where we are. Perhaps a sign saying, 'Look out for gliders on final' or 'immediate departures only'. Or better still, if the local council would put in some run-up bays. Still .... shouldn't have to do any of that if people practiced a bit of good airmanship.

Guest Mad Dave

I can kind of see an instructor with a low hours student taking a short period of time to talk through the take-off proceedure before sticking it, but any-one else should be straight off, I reckong it is a dangerous habit to get into.

Dave, it shouldn't even be that. What's wrong with instructing the student at the Holding Point. Certainly in RA training it was made very clear to me we don't cross the line, we don't straddle it, we stay behind it.

What person who was let loose to command an aircraft couldn't understand that.

Going back to the glider situation - by late final he's got a commitment.

As someone said on another post they take off full well knowing the radio battery will be flat before they land. Well this situation would be a good one to talk to each other about.

If nobody does anything, the laws of probability will.