Is this for real??

Guest Brett Campany

No way, that's some skilled flying if it is real but these days you just don't know with all of the technology around these days, anythings possible!

According to the comments, that was Dennis Malang - the Beaver factory test pilot.It was real - and really risky. Good skills though.

They said he died in bed from MS or something. Got some life in first obviously.

Nice aerobatics, but dangerous at low level, weather he is a Test pilot or not. First Solo ? He would have more chance of winning the lotto, that surviving that, if it was a first Solo.

Guest Maj Millard

Died in bed from MS huh ?......I'd say he got lucky, he was sure doing his best to kill himself in that Chinook....or tear the wings off trying....talent ??... doesn't impress me at all.

Happens here too!

Anyone at Inglewood this year would have witnessed a very similar demonstration about 2 or 3 times each day by a guy in a Thruster. Managed to get it all on video but decided not to release the footage. Can't say I agree with it as many will try to emulate the aerobatics without the training = disaster going somewhere to happen. Certainly very entertaining however.

If its done legally and in legal aircraft, i have no problems with it.. I can't comment on the video, its obviously in england or the US, and i dont know the rules, but if old mate is doing it in a thruster, in australia, and its an RAA aircraft, then boo to him.. A big BOOOO...thumb_down

Guest Maj Millard

There was a certain gentleman in California when I was flying there by the name of Britton. Can't recall his first name (I want to say Jack) but everyone called him 'Wally Wonderfull'. He flew a Phantom aircraft, which was a fine and strong UL for it's time. Wally would do low level aerobatics in it, and he was good. He had the hollywood style jumpsuit to prove it.

One day Wally got the idea to put the Phantom on floats, which he did. OK lets try low level aerobatics with floats, better stay above the river just in case. Wally lost it in fine form, and stuck the Phantom (with floats) nose first at high speed into the river, whilst a couple of hundred people watched at a Southern California UL meet. End of wally not-so-wonderfull.

Aerobatics with no altitude under you is suicide at best, it's just a matter of time.

The only person I have seen do it safely IE: Always leaves enough energy to convert to height if needed, is Wayne Fisher of Spectrum Aviation. Wayne has been doing safe aerobatics in lots of aeroplanes longer than we have had ultralights.

Yeh, that was Dennis Maland, test pilot for Spectrum Aviation in Canada. The aircraft was a Spectrum Beaver RX35. I had one very similar, and flew it 1000 hours all over Eastern and Central Aus. I knew him and flew with him once. He knew exactly what he was doing; that was a very smooth and graceful bit of flying. The aircraft weighed about 120 kg, wing loading 3 lb/ft.ft, stressed to +7, -4. In those maneuvers not much more load on those wings than a butterfly....

Low level, yeh that's frightening, but he was a dare-devil, liked to be right at the edge of the cliff, and I don't think ever screwed up in thousands of hours of flying.

I liked the story he told of very early ultralight days at Oshkosh, when he demonstrated a ballistic parachute for a manufacturer. He climbed up to 2000 ft, cut the engine, deployed the chute, drifted down to 1000 ft, cut the chute loose, glided down to a dead-stick landing, and jumped out just in time to catch the chute as it fluttered down. That was a real high-light in the life of a dare-devil show-off!

Last time I talked with him on the phone was really sad. He was pretty much bed, bound by a debilitating disease...... I'm really glad this video has showed up to remember him at his prime.

JG

Anyone at Inglewood this year would have witnessed a very similar demonstration about 2 or 3 times each day by a guy in a Thruster. Managed to get it all on video but decided not to release the footage. Can't say I agree with it as many will try to emulate the aerobatics without the training = disaster going somewhere to happen. Certainly very entertaining however.

Hi Wags, It would be nice if someone got his Rego number. It only takes a couple of bad incidents, or witnesses for all of us to get ridiculed, and hounded, by the press etc. Not it mention illegal

Please all RAA guys and Girls who want to learn how to to do Aerobatics(including me), Go through the existing channels, IE- get your ppl, learn safely in a certified aircraft,eg-decathlon or similar.YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES, we are all only human. basic things, like even a loop can be fouled up. It is nice to know that the aircraft you are flying can cope with that.(to a degree). Heavier aircraft carry their weight, ie-inertia, through manovers. Thrusters or most ultralights etc. when the difference between VNE and stall speed is maybe 50 knots or a even less, there isnt much lee way to stuff things up. Here i go again opening a can of worms. CHEERS

Just to get some facts straight here......

That aircraft at Inglewood was a Drifter, not a Thruster.

It's VH registered, and rated for aerobatics.

It was specially built for such aerobatics use, under the GA 'Experimental' rules, with all the necessary inspections and requirements.

The pilot has a PPL with all necessary aerobatics endorsements.

He always carries all the necessary paperwork for any CASA ramp check.

All ultralight pilots that I know, realize that this is a special aircraft flown by a properly qualified and highly experienced pilot, and don't imagine for a minute that they can do similar in their ordinary ultralights.

JG

Well said JG3. It's a pity people don't check the facts before posting or assuming someone Else's post is correct. I was also at Inglewood and didn't see any aero's by the thruster,the pilot of which is due an apology.

Just to get some facts straight here......That aircraft at Inglewood was a Drifter, not a Thruster.

It was specially built for such aerobatics use, under the GA 'Experimental' rules, with all the necessary inspections and requirements.

All ultralight pilots that I know, realize that this is a special aircraft flown by a properly qualified and highly experienced pilot, and don't imagine for a minute that they can do similar in their ordinary ultralights.

JG

Yes that's correct...

Here is a vid for ya...

Righto if it was Wayne in his VH drifter thats all legal and I don't have a problem and as I said I don't care if you do it and kill yourself but its the people who get caught out down the line that bothers me. I do however have a problem with people who do it in aircraft that are not permitted to. I know someone here on these forums has performed aerobatics in a Jabiru and bragged about it, again its fine until in 5 years time when someone else owns the aircraft and the wing falls off due to that overstress all those years before.The rules are there for a reason stick to them people!

Just to get some facts straight here......That aircraft at Inglewood was a Drifter, not a Thruster.

JG

Sorry guys i assumed is was a thruster, as explained by Wags. I totaly agree Wayne fisher is a excellent pilot. Any way- Their still are the occasional "aeros" performed by pilots who are not Aerobatic rated and in non aerobatic aircraft. As adam explained, the aircraft might be overstressed and then sold to unsuspecting pilots. Thanks

Guest Cloudsuck
Well said JG3. It's a pity people don't check the facts before posting or assuming someone Else's post is correct. I was also at Inglewood and didn't see any aero's by the thruster,the pilot of which is due an apology.

Not so fast Merc, he sold the VH registered Drifter a year or so ago and the one at Inglewood this year was a RAA registered aircraft. Same pilot, similar aircraft, different rego. Risk is exactly the same but legality was different.

The aircraft in the video is the old VH one and is now RAA registered at Boonah. The video is not taken at Inglewood this year and it looks like Lismore.

The Drifter at Inglewood this year IS RAA registered.

Not so fast Merc, he sold the VH registered Drifter a year or so ago and the one at Inglewood this year was a RAA registered aircraft. Same pilot, similar aircraft, different rego. Risk is exactly the same but legality was different. The aircraft in the video is the old VH one and is now RAA registered at Boonah. The video is not taken at Inglewood this year and it looks like Lismore.

The Drifter at Inglewood this year IS RAA registered.

Yes, sadly this is the case... and yeah I'm not sure where the video was taken, I just googled it.

At the time I was oblivious enough about aero's and Raa, that I actually had a flight with him at Inglewood, as Cloudsuck would know. I only found out about a week later that RAA and aero's don't mix:loopy:

Me being a person who hates bagging others and getting them in trouble, I stayed quiet about it, now that its out, well.....

The aircraft mentioned has been strengthened, and was quite capable of aero's, only that it was RAA registered, so not a very wise move for the legality side of things! He kept everything positive G's and wouldn't have gone over 2g's, it was so smooth I was extremely surprised at the time... With me in it he kept it pretty much doing Chandelle's, though he did do something else that Cloudsuck would know of...!thumb_down

So, I really hope I haven't offended or hurt anyone by saying this.:ah_oh:

Guest Cloudsuck
So, I really hope I haven't offended or hurt anyone by saying this.:ah_oh:

Oh I don't think so Tomo, Wayne has been around long enough and knows the risks he runs when he does aeros in a RAA registered plane. Of course he is a very good pilot and the plane is up to it as we all know, I just hope he registers it VH Exp again so as not to bring us all down. The risk to him is no different wheather he has numbers of letters on the side, however, the risk to the rest of us RAA members while he has numbers on the side is far greater.