Mind Refresher Questions - "the two LL heights"

I had this in my LL endorsement thread, but I thought it may as well have its own.

So...

- What is the 2 heights at which you should ONLY fly at when flying low level?

Guest Maj Millard

Above powerline height would be one guess, and above lowest safe altitude, lest thy hit the ground ? and oh above any levee height on landing.............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Staying above the ground is a REAL plus, especially when flying, other wise it'd be driving:blush:006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

But yes, staying ABOVE power line height, or BELOW power line height... NEVER AT power line height... Why? well....... self explanatory really.

If you can't go under a power lines safely, due to terrain, then stay above them... don't got along at the same height. Cause it'll get ya between the teeth!:ah_oh:

Here is what I know....NEVER fly below the level of ridge to ridge or into valleys without doing a full inspection for power lines. 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

JimG

BTW, passed my LL flight test yesterday :thumb_up:

Hi Tomo, An aircraft must not fly over any city, town or populous area, at a height lower than 1000ft; or any other area at a height lower than 500 ft. Heitht specified in the above the hightest point of the terrain and any object on it, within a radius of: in the case of an aircraft other than a helicopter-600 m. In case of a helicopter-300m.

Hi Tomo, An aircraft must fly over any city, town or populous area, at a height lower than 1000ft; or any other area at a height lower than 500 ft. Heitht specified in the above the hightest point of the terrain and any object on it, within a radius of: in the case of an aircraft other than a helicopter-600 m. In case of a helicopter-300m.

Yes that's correct.

The question was really about low level though, so considering you have been given permission to fly low level in a particular area, you then have to asses how low you really are going to go, etc... It's just a general rule of thumb to not get caught in a line as easily... because flying along at 30ft is a pretty good low level height, 'viewing wise', but that's where all the hot wires are ready to get you also! Either stay under, or over... don't doodle in between!

power line height is not safe ask me i have had that happen to to me on the 9 9 07 two years latter my plane is not flying neil

Really? Would you like to tell us what happened? so we can all learn from it...

But yes, staying ABOVE power line height, or BELOW power line height... NEVER AT power line height... Why? well....... self explanatory really.

/QUOTE]

Tomo,I`ve got a question ,"What is power line height"?.

I wasn`t aware there was a standard height.

Cheers,

Frank.

Tomo,I`ve got a question ,"What is power line height"?.

I wasn`t aware there was a standard height.

Well there isn't really a "set" powerline height, but most times it is 8-10mts above the ground out here... Obviously the high tension powerlines are a lot taller, but you don't generally get them in the bush. I guess when you get the permission to fly on a persons property, you just check what height there lines run at... and stay well under or over that height...

In my opinion,whenever refering to powerline height,it should be pointed out that there is no uniform height and that powerlines also sag, therefore, the middle of the lines may be well bellow the height of the poles that support them.

Frank.

In my opinion,whenever refering to powerline height,it should be pointed out that there is no uniform height and that powerlines also sag, therefore, the middle of the lines may be well bellow the height of the poles that support them.

Yes very true. I guess you just have to weigh up the situation, and choose the best one.:thumb_up:

500' AGL

Many new GPS allow for a terrain alert to be set for either 500ft or 1000ft AGL. Yes, it is according to the database - but it seems fairly accurate on my G296. Now, that makes for an increasing number of aircraft able to hold a 500' AGL height. A good place not to be.

300' AGL

Keep an eye on any LJR's in your area. The RAAF trainers usually adopt 300ft - and at 250 kts plus, they represent a real hazard. A useful indicator of 300'AGL is that sheep will begin to move as a small trainer passes over them. Much lower and they scatter. You'll be above ag ops too at 300'