Hunting for 20" Wheel Rim

Ian, if this post shouldn't be in this forum, just delete it :)

I know this is a long shot but I figured I'd try...

I am hunting for a replacement rim for my car. I managed to damage it in a pothole on my way to the airport on Saturday (sigh) and it is dented in two places and cracked and apparantly completely unrepairable.

The style is Discovery Wheels Virus 5 20". I have contacted a few tyre shops and have been told that this style stopped being made about 6 months ago, so I'm hunting everywhere I can think of for a replacement. I just need a single rim.

I have attached a couple of photos of the rim (apologies for the bad quality). If anyone out there happens to have one of these to sell (what are the odds?) or knows someone with one or anything, please tell me!

Cheers :)

rim.jpg.a7bf1fe2a7cb7644f4a1e036b0b499ea.jpg

869213380_rim2.JPG.7ab1fc92d365c54d782a8dad941eb7d7.JPG

Guest Maj Millard

Fancy rims Darky, but sorry I don't have any. I do know a good wrecker though, and I'll check with him for you. You may try the wreckers by the way.:musicboohoo:

That's a good idea, thanks Maj. Right now, I'm just going through the yellow pages for rim shops to send out a big email...

I could replace all 4 rims (and might have to) but that's going to cost maybe $1,500 because I'll have to get 20" rims again otherwise I'll have to replace the tyres as well!

Note to everyone: keep a good eye out for potholes i_dunno

Yes the wreckers are possibly the only place where you may be able to get only one rim, most people like to sell theirs as a set, the only way is if someone has had the same disaster as you have had, and replaced the lot so have a few good ones lying around.

Is it on a Commy?

Have you tried Googling them. There are a lot on the web, but maybe not what you are looking for. I have been after 17" rims for a Prado for some time. It seems that cars are crushed now rather than taken to a wreckers yard for spares.

.... that's going to cost maybe $1,500 .....

Ouch - in real terms, that's a lot of flying lessons ...051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

There's a wreckers in Canterbury Rd Kilsyth has lots of parts, might be lucky.

Hey Slarti,

Yep, those are the exact ones. I gave that place a call today, unfortunately they were the ones who told me that the company stopped producing this style about 6 months ago - they only had them on their website still because they had a few leftover..unfortunately for me, they don't anymore. :(

Now I just need to hope there's another shop out there which has a few left over....

They'll claim that it wasn't a pothole - it was an anti-Virus device. :lol 8:

ahahahahahahaha:thumb_up:

Yeah I think I'm going to have some issues with trying to sue the council and I'd probably spend more on doing that than I would on buying new rims!

Guest Maj Millard

Darky, you could pick up a real nice plane if you sold that soarer (once you find a wheel). You could then pick up a cheap Suziki swift, or old clapped out VW bug...and really get some flying done in your own plane !!!......................................................................................087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif jive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gifjive.gif.f008a653b325d9100ae93979ed617644.gifjive.gif.035c4a81724c712198cdb1757d6fb926.gif

Guest mike_perth

DS have you tried Mr Mag - I know they are in Perth but they have lots of unusual rare second hand and discontinued mag wheels - I got a set for a Holden Astra from them as they use a unusual stud pattern (5 on 110) still rmember it 6 years later!!

Give them a try the guys down there arnt the most freindly and customer service isnt their finest point but they will look at your pics and info and have a look in their database to help you out!

www.mrmag.com.au

If they have what you want but wont freight yell out as I have a customer just down the road from them that I visit fairly regularly and could pick it up for you.

Mike

Sounds more like a gutter at 1 am in Carlton than a pot hole to me!

I'm assuming these are aftermarket wheels, in which case the best chance is getting one from a wrecker (maybe one who imports SH Japanese cars as a sideline).

You could also try these:

???????????????/????????????????? ????????????????????????????????

(Click on this - the ??'s are replacing Japanese characters - send them a request in Engrish)

Toyota Soarer Parts

Have you tried Googling them. There are a lot on the web, but maybe not what you are looking for. I have been after 17" rims for a Prado for some time. It seems that cars are crushed now rather than taken to a wreckers yard for spares.

Yenn

There's 17" Prado alloy wheels on eBay all the time for about $800 new (4). I kept coming across them when looking for 16" ones for my Hilux.

Scott