Cougar 4 seater

slartibartfast

Garry is rushing to finish the first Cougar - a 4 seat version of the Sierra.

It is designed to carry up to 160kg at the rear seats, and the bet is that it will cruise about 120 knots. We won't know for sure until it is finished, but this plane is generating a lot of interest.

Here's some photos of where it was up to last weekend. It should be painted soon, and flying before too long.

[ATTACH]8963.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8964.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8965.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8966.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8967.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8968.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8969.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8970.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8971.vB[/ATTACH]

PA173384.jpg.7d49c803aa06790710b6483ad74cd31a.jpg

PA173385.jpg.98fef2f35b5fb5b0dcc3fe991466c960.jpg

PA173387.jpg.e71aa2b2648f3d63c08e827db944db62.jpg

PA173388.jpg.2f8e4eb89da4e2afbd6a0d9b81ade82a.jpg

PA173389.jpg.c8c99161c51d0c33310d855b1d9d8f3c.jpg

PA173390.jpg.3b3533d09463a982ea1c7ca1c447b2eb.jpg

PA173391.jpg.7bd6394ce6f5781b33f565a313ebdee0.jpg

PA173392.jpg.1a71dc76b31d72b1b8b000d3980b5d53.jpg

PA173394.jpg.584a9912be07f2403e1facdf49f567f8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is:-

This one is built as a 2 seat plus baggage - like a J230.

Empty weight is only 353kg, so it comes out better than many others with this space.

When registered VH, it's good to 800Kg MTOW.

Also, this one is set up so that you can't really put 2 adults in the back even illegally, because the CofG would be too far back. One built for VH would have the engine mounted a bit further forward. Builder's choice.

The sums are all done, the wing loading is good, looks great, it just remains to be seen how it flies. I'm backing "brilliant". We'll know in a few weeks.

You can build it for less than $70,000 with everything included too. No wonder Garry doesn't make any money. Best value on the market.

sensational looks

This plane should sell on its looks alone!

Sensational.

I think he would sell heaps if he sold them as a factory made rather than kits.

:thumb_up:

Perhaps to help out with the CofG with 4 people on board ,,one of those big 8cyl Jab motors :)

My thoughts exactly ... few extra SHP's for the hotter days or shorter strips ... I am feeling pretty keen on one of these!

• 2 weeks later...

The Cougar has flown!

Got this from Garry today.

The Cougar made its first flight today, all is good a slight trim change to the wing, the motor runs cold, one person she climbs at 1200fpm, i didnt stall it today ,but the buffet starts at 40kts clean, usally the stall is 10kts under this, and with flap 30kts, approach speed today i made it 50kts, rounded out at 40-45,and with no weight in it it floated a little, and a very slow touch down. At cruise speed 130kts at 3000rpm and the motor will go past 3200rpm full power. ne brake is a little soft but we are working on this, but a very nice aircraft to fly.and very good low speed handling.

The Cougar looks great Slarti and sounds like it flies great too.

I I lose my GA license then I would sure consider one, toss up between the cougar and the Lightning from Dennis Borchardt down at Kingston.

Do you know how rudder authority is at slow speed when landing ?

The ruddder looks a little small. Could be an optical illusion?

Sounds like I'd better go and fly it so I can give you a report.

It's the same basic design as mine and the Sierra. The rudder size is definitely big enough and has tons of authority (not that metric tonne - real tons) at any speed. I will confirm that when I fly it.

Video sounds like a great idea. I think it's time to go to Taree again.

• 1 month later...

Just checking out the cougar (again), Garry's on a real winner with this one (like his other a/c). Factory built from $121 000 inc GST(for flying schools), fast cruise, easy wing removal, A BIG plus, with the hangar shortages. I would like to see one with the IO-233 Lycomming. And as starli has already mentioned. around $69 500 all inclusive for the kit. Great value. Cheers

This sure is a nice looking plane, EXCEPT for that tail fin. Why spoil a really cool, smooth design with that boxy 'afterthought'? Surley Gary could add some more sexy, flowing curves to finish the job properly. After all said and done, it's the rear end that leaves the lasting image, beit plane or the fairer sex.

Gary probably wanted to ensure enough rudder authority for his design deskpilot although Slarti says there is plenty enough

Sexy plane isnt it?

At 150 kts with the bigger engine its a real contender vs an RV kit.

:face and heart:

I just checked, an RV6 has a MTOW of only 748kg, though the RV8 can take 815 or so, and that's a two seater. So this Cougar is fairly close, and has the option of two more seats.

And it looks alot nicer. The RVs look like plain old 90s aircraft. No character, I say 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I agree Thalass, its a looker alright.

I wasnt sure about the cruise speeds though.

RV6 at height 160+ knots but with a 5 litre engine.

Could be a good alternative if I lose my GA license

• 5 weeks later...
This sure is a nice looking plane, EXCEPT for that tail fin. Why spoil a really cool, smooth design with that boxy 'afterthought'? Surley Gary could add some more sexy, flowing curves to finish the job properly. After all said and done, it's the rear end that leaves the lasting image, beit plane or the fairer sex.

Garry saw your comment Doug, and he's responded with a design change. The latest Cougar is getting more sweep and angle on the fin.

[ATTACH]10004.vB[/ATTACH]

Should be nice. Garry invited me to come up and test fly the Cougar. I'm still trying to get a weather window to get to Taree. When I do I'll write it up here.

tailfin.thumb.jpg.ca48e8f7ce78994a791fd7ac8801d1da.jpg