Majors' safety briefing.........

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Finally grabbed the briefing card out of the plane today. It is just a prompt sheet really for my ab lib relaxing verbal spiel.......

SAFETY BRIEFING

for both our safety

----------------------------------------------------

DOORS open/close, accidental Inflight opening

SEATBELTS Keep on, releasing inverted

Jammed buckle, belt knife stowage

EMERG BEACON Location and activation

SURVIVAL KIT Location

POWER FAILURE Take off - Cruise

CONTROLS Do not grab throttle, stick

Heels- brakes, landing clear

SICK BAGS Inform pilot

OTHER AIRCRAFT OR BIRDS Tell pilot

------------------------------------------------------

Another one:

FEELING SICK Inform pilot, place head and nose down front of shirt and take deep breath.

Pax will immediately throw up, but at least it won't fly all over the cabin

Guest Maj Millard

I want to know if they are not feeling well, so I can grab a spew bag and give to them. Can't recall anyone ever getting sick on me though.........................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Pioneer200

I had a flight last night in the Pioneer 200 and during the circuit rejoin and landing my pax was saying she felt sick, she was then dry reaching on finals, I was like oh no, I am going to have a mess to clean up.

Was a few bumps on approach but not to bad, she felt much better when on the ground again and said she really enjoyed 90% of the flight

Q.

How many pilots carry sick bags for their pax.

I have now placed a plastic bag in my flight bag

About to head off to take the Jabiru up and land on a strip next to the dairy farm my bro works at,,, should be fun!!! ELEV 300 ft LENGTH 500m QNH 1025 temp 15 degrees, should be all good

I like your descriptions of passengers neatly throwing up into convenient sick bags.

In my case three of them exploded in all directions covering everything including a few splashes on the back of my neck.......and the STINK!

This was shortly followed by loud discussion with each other about their experiences, questions to me, incluiding "have you got anything to wipe this up?, can we land to clean outselves? (as in Stop The Car) and general pandemonium.

Fortunately I had a great instructor who had pointed out that carrying passengers was a two edged sword, and to expect screaming children, passengers talking over the top of the radio, and instant experts.

That, along with Ernest K. Gann's match lighting chief pilot episode had prepared me and I was able to handle the sitiation calmly.

What I've advised people to do since then is look up and out, find the rhythm of the bumps and then anticipate them and move with the aircraft like a sailor does, and haven't had a problem since.

Fortunately I haven't had anyone sick on me yet! and I'm dreading the day I will!! Someone throwing up beside you in a car's bad enough...!

Another thing if someone is feeling a bit weird is to keep them talking, and interested in the surroundings, it keeps their mind active in the right direction. And look outside at the horizon, not particularly the ground as that causes a vertigo sensation.

I saw a very simple analysis of Motion sickness recently - it's not person related it's actions related - a little bit like the "leans" people experience without a horizon.

Unfortunately can't find it again, but maybe someone else has and could post it.

Hey Tomo, if you ever get a passenger feeling sick in the drifter, just don't fly over my house...please

Yes that is the beauty about the Drifter! you can annoy others rather than yourself! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I was in the air with a student in the front seat of the Drifter one day and he says,"I think I`m going to be sick",049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif, I`m expecting to wear it so I jokingly said, "That`s ok just keep you`re mouth shut".

I don`t know if he thought that was funny,but he never threw up and all was well.

Frank.

Guest Maj Millard

I do carry a couple of sick bags in the plane (white with silver lining, cooked chicken type) I also make sure they are real handy, and I lift them up and show the passenger where they are, during the pre-flight briefing.

I figure if they are going to go, it's going to happen pretty quickly so I want them handy !!

During the couple of years on hamilton Island where they were loading 12 bums on board the amphib Caravans daily for reef trips, it was pretty common for somebody to walk out with a 'fried chicken' bag or two on landing. Don't know wether it was the planes, the landing on water or just a rough day. In an operation like that you are getting a good percentage of first time flyers, pregnant women, serious hangovers...you name it.

I'll do everything I can to stop somebody spraying my beautifull cockpit !......................049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest check-in

Add to brief. Go for leak at every stop whether you want to or not. If caught short in flight do NOT pee on seat; in-boots (your own).

Guest Walter Buschor

Back in the early eighties When doing aeros in the Decathlon "MMM" out of Archerfield I do remember that MOST of my passengers spewed all over the joint. This was regular as clockwork and they always had the honour of cleaning it up. Funnily though the plane never took on the smell of fresh spew.

No one has yet spewed in my plane but I once got close on a flght from Gympie to Kingaroy - Maryborough - Gympie.

My pax was doing nearly all the flying and it was a bumpy day. He was " behind " the plane the whole flight and I went green in the face. Ten minutes out of Maryborough I had to take over as I would have graced my own plane.

lesson learned: don't let your pax have a go if it's too turbulent.

fly safe

Walter. I am not quibbling with you, but pointing out our sometimes funny interpretation of the rules. On another post on this site someone refused an ATC clearance, because they were nor legally allowed to fly in controlled airspace. That was after ATC had offered the clearance. That person could point the finger at you and state tyhat passengers are not allowed to operate the controls unless they are qualified or a student, with an instructor. Be careful what you admit to, our ops manager could come down on you with a nasty letter.

I'll give the uninitiated a tip. Make sure if they are gunna toss the groceries, get them to move the mic boob away from their mouth. The smell and the mess are nothing compared to the high definition audio soundtrack that accompany's it through your headset.:yuk:

Note to self, make sure to get proper "cooked chicken" bags. Once had the misfortune to sit in the rear of a Baron (club seating) and had the bloke opposite me cheerfully haul out a roll of standard see through freezer bags for his son and himself immediately after take off. He explained that "we always get sick in little planes" and proceeded to fill an impressive number.

The sight of last night's curry hurtling back past the tonsils is not something I want to experience again! Somehow wherever you looked, you could still see this performance out of the corner of your eye:yuk:049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Those little white hospital/doctor ones are pretty cool, got a little plastic hoop an everything to keep it open/closed, and hide the offenders face when demonstrating his stomach muscles, or lack there of...

Don't really know where you get them from, but we seem to have a few we leave hanging about in the car etc...

Guest Maj Millard

Yes TOMO those ones are the best for catching the lot, anyone got a supplier ?. Maybe I'm getting out of hand here...my record over several hundred rides is still 0/0 for throw-ups !...mine are more likely to make a quick bee-line for the potty right after landing !!....... :thumb_up:

My gf is a nurse, I've got some of the plastic rim jobs in both my a/c. I'm sorry I cant do a mass mail out.

Next time you are in a hospital, stand next to a nurse and make some reching sounds, then tell her that you are fine and then do it again, and tell her you are fine again. I bet she will give you one for free. when sh gives it to you aske her for a couple of spares....job done.:devil:016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif