Places to go, friends you haven't met yet!

Relfy

OK team, we've all heard about the fantastic offer at Cooloola Cove Airstrip and I was just wondering what other strips are out there like this with facilities and hospitality, welcoming of visitors so we can all plan some trips around this great country.

I'll kick off with my base strip of Kingaroy YKRY. Excellent sealed main strip 16/34, good grass cross strip 05/23, no landing fees, avgas available on credit card swipe bowser, a great little cottage cafe located on the western boundary fence near the threshold of 16. I've seen a lot of RAA types drop in for breakfast on the weekends and taxi right over to the fence and cross the road to the 'Artists Cottage' to have a fantastic meal on the verandah admiring the gliding/raa/ga activity in full view from your seat. I've been there myself and it's great! Nearby you have Nanango and Wondai Strips which are worth a look also.

Out here at Cunamulla YCMU we don't quite so much on offer but the sealed strip is great 12/30. No landing fees, avgas on bowser through local council contractor, no call out fees, remote wireless eftpos payment. Just give them a call on the mobile number listed and they'll top you up. About 36 nm to the west we have Eulo, a great unsealed strip where you taxi and park right next to the main street and access a great little general store and pub serving meals etc. About 20nm to the north you have the Nardoo Farmstay, just give them a ring and they will make sure the strip is clear and they have great cabins/rooms/camping etc to stay in and a great communal fire place where everyone gathers each evening to tell lies etc.

• Like 2

Great idea Relfy, reminds me why I learnt to fly in the first place and why I restarted recently. I'm all for supporting these places and giving them some publicity. Beats aimlessly boring holes in the sky any day.:thumb_up:

Wearing one of my other hats I have been writing a series of articles on places to go by boat for a meal, around the Gold Coast and Brisbane and it has been the same, given some purpose to our trips out and about.

• Like 1

Great idea Relfy, reminds me why I learnt to fly in the first place and why I restarted recently. I'm all for supporting these places and giving them some publicity. Beats aimlessly boring holes in the sky any day.:thumb_up:Wearing one of my other hats I have been writing a series of articles on places to go by boat for a meal, around the Gold Coast and Brisbane and it has been the same, given some purpose to our trips out and about.

Be interested to read what you have written about the boating places. I leave my boat at my brother's at Burpengary and launch out of Spinniker to go fishing, often thought about taking the misses somewhere as she has never been in the boat (I know why spoil a good thing!) and catch up with others at Dunwich for lunch or something similar.

Why boat when you can fly to Dunwich!? Yeah I know... but the only fun boat is one that has a rope out the back, few hundred horses in the middle, and me at the wheel! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Why boat when you can fly to Dunwich!? Yeah I know... but the only fun boat is one that has a rope out the back, few hundred horses in the middle, and me at the wheel! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My Dad and brother are into sailing..... the boat goes a grand total of...SEVEN knots!! :ah_oh:i_dunno

They own 2 boats and I don't have a plane yet, something wrong here methinks 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

dunlopdangler, I'm a bit biased toward the Gold Coast seeing as my boat is moored here - there are a multitude of places to go for a feed down this way, from basic to top notch. I'm still working my way north. I'll dig out a couple of spare mags and drop them off at the fly-in.

Up Moreton Bay way, Tangalooma is a good option, you just need to work out how you are going to land on the beach, or else walk down from the wrecks. Also on Moreton Island is the Gutter Bar at Kooringal, although getting there is a little more complicated and they aren't always open. Dunwich I haven't sampled yet, although I think you can make an arrangement with the Little Ship Club at the One Mile to tie up and eat - call first because I don't have first hand knowledge of that (yet). I know some people who swear by the RSL on Russell Island - need to arrange transport from the ferry landing though. If you're feel up to a bit of a drive I'd highly recommend towing the boat to Tweed Heads and heading up the river to Tumbulgum, near Murwillumbah, there is a lovely old pub right on the river and the run up there, about 20km from memory is well worth it too. Probably my favourite is McLarens Landing, just along the beach from the old Tipplers site on South Straddie - (where the seaplane flipped last weekend). PM me if you want more detail.

My Dad and brother are into sailing..... the boat goes a grand total of...SEVEN knots!! :ah_oh:i_dunnoThey own 2 boats and I don't have a plane yet, something wrong here methinks 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

When the winds blowing.... I was turned off sailing when we (uncle and brother) were a fair way from the beach when the mast wire broke... the mast then ended up in the water, and us sitting like a duck, until we could razzle the coast guard to come get us!

Though I don't mind boating, as long as the shore is in sight, I'm right. Skiing is so much fun though!

• Informative 1

Spin I'm interested in the boat places too. I've been into Dunwich a few times (by boat and aircraft!) Little Ships is great, not bad food, a bar, entertainment, and near the One Mile bus for transport. The only issue is it gets pretty busy and at times there is nowhere to tie up.

Tangalooma is great. I haven't been to Kooringal, it looks a bit tricky at low tide!

There's a marina between Brisbane and the Gold coast which has a good looking pub/restaurant but I haven't tried the food. I think it is called something like the Slip Inn. They have visitor berths.

Hi Mazda, I think the Marina you are thinking of is Horizon Shores near Jacobs Well - pretty decent burgers, fish n chips etc there. A bit further south (and east) along the channel is Calypso Bay marina where they have a really nice Irish themed pub with music etc - Harrigans IIRC. Both those places have visitors docks, making it easy to get in and out. You're not wrong about Kooringal being tide dependent - you can get in and out from the south ok on most tides, but it can be a long trudge across the mud to get to shore.

Hi Mazda, you'll get us sin binned for wandering off topic - hang on the topic was "Places to go etc...." 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

I'm uncomfortably straddling two at present, a little Haines 4.9 cuddy cabin that should have gone already and an old style Mustang 2400, the outboard version. The latter lives on the water which isn't ideal, however I'm slowly getting a trailer, bigger tow car and a big enough parking spot organised. Medium term plan is to trail her to the Whitsundays for a cruising holiday, so far our longest has been a 3 dayer to Brissie for Riverfire - got to be the best seat in the house, short of the F-111 (see, I knew we would get aircraft in there somehow!:big_grin:)

How about you?

Don't fret Spin...Back on topic as I usually fly either to Caboolture or Redcliffe if it is a last minute thing to go fishing. My brother has a suitable tow vehicle so getting the boat to the ramp is never an issue, then armed with esky with the iced "catch of the day" fly back to Dalby to enjoy with a coldie 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest Sharp End
Hi Mazda, you'll get us sin binned for wandering off topic - hang on the topic was "Places to go etc...." 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gifI'm uncomfortably straddling two at present, a little Haines 4.9 cuddy cabin that should have gone already and an old style Mustang 2400, the outboard version. The latter lives on the water which isn't ideal, however I'm slowly getting a trailer, bigger tow car and a big enough parking spot organised. Medium term plan is to trail her to the Whitsundays for a cruising holiday, so far our longest has been a 3 dayer to Brissie for Riverfire - got to be the best seat in the house, short of the F-111 (see, I knew we would get aircraft in there somehow!:big_grin:)

How about you?

Well, I occasionally have to put up with her (now I'm in trouble :black_eye:) on "my" TABS Ocean Series pictured here at Tangalooma!

I gotta admit, I started this thread with a certain idea and it's gone a bit wayward...but I like where it's going! ie. boats, fishing, places to boat and...fish...it doesn't get any better, except if you could catch fish from your plane. Only Querty and Maj would have such stories...surely! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

• 3 years later...

I've just done a trip from Coldsteam to Longreach via White Cliffs ,Orchid Beach, Port Macquarie, lot's of top spots, Noccundra is worth a visit (ULP fuel only), White Cliffs is very interesting, Longreach I can highly recommend, Orchid beach is a great spot for a $200 meat pie(or camp for a while), Taree (a big thanks to Morgan Aircraft guys for their help) Port Macquarie, Wagga (probably the most vibrant GA field I've been to, gotta get back there to check out the Tecnam Taildragger online there),

cheers Matty

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys ,

Following from this thread I received my cross country cert yesterday and plan to do some sight seeing the other half.

What would you recommend visiting given that it would be my very first cross country flight with the other half and don't want to push it too early on! My Instructor mentioned tyagarah stip with easy access to Byron.

I will be flying from Archerfield

My Dad and brother are into sailing..... the boat goes a grand total of...SEVEN knots!! :ah_oh:i_dunnoThey own 2 boats and I don't have a plane yet, something wrong here methinks 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hello Darky!!!!

Whatcha doin?

Kaz

M

I gotta admit, I started this thread with a certain idea and it's gone a bit wayward...but I like where it's going! ie. boats, fishing, places to boat and...fish...it doesn't get any better, except if you could catch fish from your plane. Only Querty and Maj would have such stories...surely! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My mate, James (Jimmy) Williams has an aero maintenance business at Albury. He also has a very swish Birddog on floats.

He launches his fishing trips from the long black at YMAY (CTA) and plops down in Lake Hume a couple of miles away still in the zone.

Question: does he have to get a start and taxi clearance to come back?

Kaz