10,000ft and over water casa approval

Guest watto

I was at a club meeting on the weekend and an RAA board member announced that the CASA ceo had announced that RAA has been approved for flight to 10,000ft without special circumstances and also that over water travel had been granted to the point where with the appropriate safety equipment a flight to NZ was permitted! this is exciting news and will add additional safety to distance flyers who wish to get above the rougher weather and terrain.

The proposed reduction in RAA board members was also discussed.

Has anybody else heard the same?011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Yes as I advised last year it was approved last year however it still isn't "legalised" as yet as the CASA Lawyers still have to formulate the docs properly for it to be written in stone. This could take 1 more week or 4 months.

Guest Andys@coffs

(pessimism enabled)

Or, like Pt 103 and Pt 149 we might still be talking about it as a sure thing in 3 yrs time........

</PESSIMISM>

(pessimism disabled)

But hopefully as option 1 of Ians 2 options

(pessimism enabled) Or, like Pt 103 and Pt 149 we might still be talking about it as a sure thing in 3 yrs time........

</PESSIMISM>

(pessimism disabled)

But hopefully as option 1 of Ians 2 options

Well it is the perseverance of the hard working guys at RAA that have helped to get things this far, many would have given up but I am pleased to have these terriers on my side.

It's not April 1st is it:big_grin: I thought this was all dead in the water and we were getting ZERO.Pud

Apparrently not, awsome stuff I say!!:encore:

Its good that 10,000ft has been granted... cant wait for it to be legalised. I like the idea of having that extra height! In radio calls it would be FL100, right?And flying to NZ would require a little more than just safety gear and the flight plan, you'd need the passport and everything right? how would fuel go for that length of a flight?... Theres so much more to flight over water, id like to see how strict it WILL be, and good luck to those who attempt it...

The NZ flight has been done a number of times in Jabiru AC via lord howe and Norfolk islands so it is very doable.

And flying to NZ would require a little more than just safety gear and the flight plan, you'd need the passport and everything right? how would fuel go for that length of a flight?... Theres so much more to flight over water, id like to see how strict it WILL be, and good luck to those who attempt it...

If I get to do the flight from the US, there is something like 14hrs of water, 3 times over! And we don't go above 10,000 either (it wouldn't make much difference anyway!!)

You put a LOT of trust in the old donk out front when doing things like that! ;)

I wonder if its legal to remove the passenger seat, and replace it with a fuel tank with a total weight not above that of the seat+passenger? Another 90kg of fuel could go along way.

But yeah, to go to NZ you'd need a raft, epirb, life jacket, probably some kind of drysuit to keep hypothermia at bay. And with only one fan at the front you'd have to be brave!

Thre have ben a few jabs flown to NZ, even a J120 who did what you are talking about Thalass. They seemed to do it quite easily, albeit with a lot of planning and preparation. Weather would be a major influencing factor going that far.

This is where I said that it had been approved back in October:http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/132417-post82.html

Yep, I remember reading that Ian. Must have got lost (in my memory) amongst all the other noise(negative?) in my memory - well that's my excuse anyway;)

I see the thread has taken up the 'fly over water' line but I'm more interested in the altitude options now which could give that extra margin of safety when flying over 'tiger country'.

Pud

Blackrod, the Jabs were put on the NZ register under their LSA category and then special permission was granted through casa for them to be flown from australia.

I was merely pointing to the fact that the actual flight is quite achievable, not the legalities of doing so. As it stands in accordance with regs etc, an RAA reg plane could not be flown to NZ.

Blackrod, the Jabs were put on the NZ register under their LSA category and then special permission was granted through casa for them to be flown from australia.I was merely pointing to the fact that the actual flight is quite achievable, not the legalities of doing so. As it stands in accordance with regs etc, an RAA reg plane could not be flown to NZ.

That's exactly right Relfy. I was merely point out that the aircraft was capable of the journey not that it was yet legal, A jaunt from Cook town to port Moresby also would be a challenge.

Rearly like the 10000 without using the rider of PIC decision :"because..." That could be legally messy if it stuffs up.

How about a bit higher now... Have a 914 turbo and have had a lot of time on O2 while diving (tech trimix rebreather&gas blender).

Now 20000 would rearly get you over the weather...and just think of the glide distance if the prop stops on the way to NZ!

How high can a 914 go?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;) :bitehard::bitehard::bitehard::bitehard:

Rearly like the 10000 without using the rider of PIC decision :"because..." That could be legally messy if it stuffs up.How about a bit higher now... Have a 914 turbo and have had a lot of time on O2 while diving (tech trimix rebreather&gas blender).

Now 20000 would rearly get you over the weather...and just think of the glide distance if the prop stops on the way to NZ!

How high can a 914 go?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;)006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif;) :bitehard::bitehard::bitehard::bitehard:

Why not go all the way? Imagine a ballistic flightpath from here to Canada. My wife would love a 90 minute flight compared to a 36 hour journey! RAA would have to be renamed Recreational Spacecraft Australia, of course, and they'd have to allow engines other than internal combustion propeller drivers. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I would be a happy man if that was the case. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

:angry:All of the guys with colostomy bags will have an advantage on these over water jaunts, just poke the hose out through a hole in the floor and your set!!!!!!!

With the changes in technology ie glass cockpits and the freedoms afforded by RAA, there may well be some exciting changes in our form of aviation in the next ten years.

It may well be the case that in the future we will have greater altitudes, speed, endurance and most importantly, safety.

We may well be able to do a Dick Smith and pop over to New Zealand for dinner and return home the same day...who knows!