Feb 2010 Brd Meeting - Drug & Alcohol at NatFly

Admin

A request was received in relation to NatFly 2010 and the Alcohol and other Drugs requirements.

A possible idea was to have a lock box for aircraft keys so pilots were not considered to be in charge of an aircraft simply due to the fact of having the keys in their pocket.

The idea was explored however it was found that the issue of having the key in a pilot's pocket was somewhat irrelevant as 99.015 SSAAs to which this applies specifies under 2a):

any activity undertaken by a person, other than as a passenger, in an aerodrome testing area

and

aerodrome testing area means:

a) any surface in a certified aerodrome or a registered aerodrome over which an aircraft is able to be moved while in contact with the surface of the aerodrome, including any parking areas

Other issues found with this is the ramifications and liability should an item be stolen from an aircraft etc.

Guest Maj Millard

I would think the majority these days. My Lightwing does, and my 582 drifter did, as does the Storch, also the Savannah. Please correct me if I'm in error..........................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I am going to natfly but I dont plan on having a drink untill its dark then I cant fly anyway as it is dark and we can only fly VFR .So I cant be breaking the rules if I am camping airside with the keys in my pocket throttle lock on to prevent the Temora Alkieda from stealing my pride and joy and maybe crashing it into a silo between here and there.(seems to be getting a bit silly)

Dave

In plain English - does this mean no drugs or alcohol while airside?

Or more likely in your system as well, would it not?

Doesn't worry me, I'll only be drinking water anyway!:big_grin:

Guest Escadrille

Oh please Lord above!! just when will sanity prevail and(common) sense return to our fair nation..??

Seems to me the bureaucrats, and the puritanical (or is that just tyranical) are getting into a frenzy again..036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

My workplace was Casa tested recently... I don't think you have too much to worry about. Just don't have open alcohol containers around your aircraft... .02 for alcohol, oral swab for Narcotics. Unless you are sitting under the wing of your aircraft on your 6th full strength stubby while sucking on a joint while watching the flying I don't think you have too much to worry about. Basically just drink moderately and allow 8 hours if you prefer your relaxants from a bowl... Lol