RAA regegisted 180 knot kit??

Sloper

Goodaye all

Does anybody know of a 2 seater kit aircraft that can do around 180 knots and get RAA registration?

Just doing some investigating.

regards Bruce

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Sloper,

Good luck !!!

the pioneer 300 will do up to 155knots cruise, or so the aid claims. The other one is the BD5 but in this case only single seat and you probably have to be a pretty good pilot to boot.

The Burt Rutan Very eazy - don't know the correct spelling - is high performance too. Thats about it I guess!

good luck

Walter

Guest basscheffers

If you build it yourself anyway, may as well go VH-experimental if you are willing to get your PPL. The greatest cost saving in RAA is owner maintenance, and you can do that just the same with experimental.

180 knots RAAus?

I don't know of one and the stall speed limitation would be difficult to achieve, if the plane was capable of that type of speed in cruise. ( I presume you relate it to cruise speed.).

This type of performance almost REQUIRES a variable pitch propellor, and retractable undercarriage, and you are getting into the structural (Flutter) and other difficulties that mostly are avoided with the planes that we normally fly. America has an upper speed limit for LSA (I believe) and we don't. A fair number of little "racers" were constructed in the US under the EAA. Some used the Rotax 2-strokes, and a lot used "Worked" Cont. 0-200's. They are usually tricky to fly and don't operate from small rough strips, too well Nev.

The Millennium ( prototype only) cruises 160kts with 209 kts VNE on a Rotax , but will cost $250k plus ( all carbon fibre, tandem seating)

Still don't know how the latest plastic fantastics can get past the 120kt max rule

Please note WE (Australia!) do NOT have a 120 knot rule.

Please, please, please get your facts correct. USA has a 120 knot LSA rule, not Australia.

As sure as God made little apples, if people keep saying it "THEY" will think it a good idea and it will be forced on us also; for our "safety" of course! Jay and others!

Guest Pioneer200

I have been lucky enough to fly in 2 of the quickest microlights that we have in NZ

Alpi Pioneer 300 ZK MWL and Dyn Aero ZK SML

Both are comfortable cross country machines that cruise along around the 140 - 150 knot range.

The Dyn Aero is a brilliant piece of French?? plane, getting that speed WITHOUT retractable gear

I, Maddogmoran, read Facthunter's post, while you do not seem to have read the last parragraph of Jay's. I am not having a shot at Jay as this reference to "facts" appears at times in the forums on a considerable number of topics. This refererence to "speed limits" has in fact appeared before about 12 months ago.

My exasperation is that I have no doubt "the dark side" read posts here to gain ideas on how to stuff up RAA...paranoid?...you bet!...we have it too good at the moment as RAA allows us nearly all the freedom of GA with only a minor amount of stupidity such as the recent rego card incident...and the comments on that which helped to change it were gained from a forum!

As for speed, how about a suitably "re engineered" Corby Starlet with Jab 120hp? Not a kit, not a two seater, but potential fun. I know the Supermarine Spitfire kit can be RAA rego but unsure if still two seater and engine options if so registered.

Guest basscheffers

If you buy an aircaft as LSA that says it cruises at 120kt, then that's what it does, doesn't it? Basically, the manufacturer of an otherwise fast aircraft will have stated that you should cruise the Rotax at no more than 4800rpm.

Obviously, plenty of folks will cruise at any setting up to 5500, but the official design limit for the plane's cruise speed still is 120, right?

So unless you are flying it beyond what's stated in the POH, there effectively is a 120 speed limit on those aircraft here in Oz too?

LSA in Australia is such a can of worms... Hopefully we'll get across the board 600KG soon!

Guest Andys@coffs

Speed is irrelevant if your purpose for the day is to go fly for an hour. If, on the otherhand your purpose is to move across a sizeable chunk of Australia then its everything...

I like my J230, but sometimes when up high, between Adelaide and Grafton an aviation equivalent of a computer overclock would come in handy. Country to the south west of Narromine can be repetitive, and all the time there is that feeling of unease if the fan should stop.....

So, if someone wants 180kts, and has the $$ to pay for it, and I'll bet that cant easily be got for similar prices as the 120kt machines!! then more power to them (literally!!)

Andy

Speed of Aircraft.

Once you get used to high speeds, NO aircraft goes fast enough.

Unless the plane is very well designed and constructed, the normal way to go fast is with lots of grunt. (and fuel flow). IF you fly low, you think you are going faster. Nev

Put Arnold AR5 Aircraft in your internet search engine; it will come up with a single seat design that does over 180kn on 65 HP. It's got a fairly benign Ribblet airfoil and supposed to be a delight to fly. Shows what you can do with a well designed fixed U/C. Probably would need flaps to meet the RAA 45kn stall speed limit.

If you want beautiful with 180kias easy, look at the following link. Lightning_Bug : Lightning Bug Experimental Aircraft

Unfortunately, even with its slotted fowler flaps, stall is still (supposed to be) around 55kias. That's what 40 square feet of wing does for you.

The first one should be flying in Oz some time later this year, the second a little after (we can only build so fast...) Due to the stall speed and retractable nosegear, it will be experimental.

Still, a nice bird!

Anyone know much about Arion Lightning?Theres a few here

Looks nice, US specs show very fast too.

Its already imported here mate- by a gent in SA. Go to www.Raa.asn.au , click on imported kits. Look for lightning. A few are flying in Aus. I think around 130 kts, with jabbi 3300.

Disregard what i just wrote- the web adress is www.lightningaircraft.com.au