Another NEW Savannah XL on its way

Kyle Communications

1. Hi Mark Ive been a bit busy recently so no posts. The Sav in nearly ready to fly! I've had a pre flight inspection done, the engine started like a dream and i was doing some Fast taxiing today. Just a few odd jobs and will be flying. Things seem to have change on this site so i cant put photographs on again, I'll try again later!!!!!!

• Like 2

Hi Ian

I am up at my farm these past few days and will go home tomorrow morning so will be working on the fuselage for a couple of days while still on holidays. I am finding the manual still frustrating but after looking at the diagrams and Reg's pics on his CD many many times you eventually work it out. Since I have been doing the fuse at home work at night for an hour or two and things have been coming along pretty quickly. Will post some more pics when get home I have the bottom and 2 sides on now and about to fit the battery compartment then can put the top on the rear fuselage section. Uploading the pics I think now is easier but you must keep the size od the pics to about 150k each or less otherwise it uploads but it wont store them. My Mac can resize the 3mb pics easily so just make sure you size the pics before uploading. Any issues you find at this stage of getting it ready to fly please let us know

Mark

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Mark and all, This has been an excellent example of what sharing is all about, helping everybody with valuable building tips, and making building a Savvy even more enjoyable !.....

As Ian has mentioned I have done some inspections on the 'Cab Sav' this week, and Ians' workmanship is most impressive, considering he only started last Oct, and had to endure three cyclones in the process !!..............

Ian has used the primer and paint I suggested, and had the final finish applied by a professional spraypainter, and it shows. I'm sure he'll agree, money well spent !. I'm sure time will tell also, as he is hangared very close to the Pacific ocean, and will need good airframe protection in the future.

During the inspection I only found minor things that needed to be corrected, and only things that a first-time amateur builder could be expected to do. Certainly nothing serious, and easily corrected. A credit to the Savvy kit manufacturer.

We ran the 912 for the first time. It is of course the latest model with all latest upgrades, inc the Ign soft-start modual, ring-engine mount, new oil pressure sender, etc,etc. After cranking for the required oil pressure prior to the first start, the engine fired up instantly on the first attempt, and ran smooth as. What an impressive engine the latest 912 is, and matched to the Savvy kit, both are at a very advanced stage of development, with the Savvy kit in particular going together very well.

Both Rotax and Savvy have listened to the end users, and have upgraded and improved their products to a very high degree now.

It won't be too long before Ian and Julie are airborne in their impressive machine, and I'm sure you'll be seeing the carbon Savannah aka: 'Cab Sav' around............................................................................................................Maj...

Hi Maj

What was the primer and paint brand and roughly how much is needed of both...obviously you can add a lot of weight in primer and paint. I found this with my models you can easily add a 1000 grams of extra weight just with the paint and thats on a model so I would imagine 5 to 10kg could be added a full size quite easily. The information exchange on the forum is just fabulous. I trawl through all the last posts in 24 hrs every day and I am amazed at some of the tips and tricks you can pic up there is a lot of experience lurking out in the big cloud. I have found the discussion on ops up to 10,000 ft extremely informative as well.

What "little" mistakes should I be not trying to make on my Sav?. As far as the rotax goes I havent ordered my engine yet as I knew it would take me a while to get the aircraft completed and didnt want a new engine sitting around for a year or so. Depending on how I go I hope to be ready for the engine about August or September this year

Mark

Guest Maj Millard

Your thinking on not getting the engine till later is good, that way you will know all the latest upgrades will be present. I don't expect Rotax to go out of business anytime soon.

The primer system Ian used is the same as that we use on the amphibs at Shute harbour. After many years of trying different schemes, and much experience with aircraft that swim in saltwater up to six times a day, it is one that offers good protection.

After an inital primer coat with Wattyl super-etch (black or grey) we then apply a second primer coat of epinamal (see post #162) which is a four to one mix ratio and creme in color. It is also sandable if necessary, but if your mix is thin like a finish coat you'll be able to finish coat straight over it. The epinamal primer does require a certain thinner which you also will need to clean the gun. As far as quantity goes for painting a Savvy, you'd be better off asking Ian as he will know how much he used.

As far as Ians' 'little mistakes' go they are almost not worthy of mention. His elevtor and rudder cables needed to be tighter, some engine oil lines needed to be re-routed away from exhaust. The main wing attach-bolts and wing-strut attach bolts (top and bottom) were too tight. These attach bolts need to be backed off a bit and allowed to 'work' otherwise you can stress the attach brackets themselves.................Good luck with the build.................Maj

Guest Maj Millard

Your thinking on not getting the engine till later is good, that way you will know all the latest upgrades will be present. I don't expect Rotax to go out of business anytime soon.

The primer system Ian used is the same as that we use on the amphibs at Shute harbour. After many years of trying different schemes, and much experience with aircraft that swim in saltwater up to six times a day, it is one that offers good protection.

After an inital primer coat with Wattyl super-etch (black or grey) we then apply a second primer coat of epinamal (see post #162) which is a four to one mix ratio and creme in color. It is also sandable if necessary, but if your mix is thin like a finish coat you'll be able to finish coat straight over it. The epinamal primer does require a certain thinner which you also will need to clean the gun.

As far as Ians' 'little mistakes' go they are almost not worthy of mention. His elevtor and rudder cables needed to be tighter, some engine oil lines needed to be re-routed away from exhaust. The main wing attach-bolts and wing-strut attach bolts (top and bottom) were too tight. These attach bolts need to be backed off a bit and allowed to 'work' otherwise you can stress the attach brackets themselves.................Good luck with the build.................Maj

Guest Maj Millard

After an inital primer coat with Wattyl super-etch (black or grey) we then apply a second primer coat of epinamal (see post #162) which is a four to one mix ratio and creme in color. It is also sandable if necessary, but if your mix is thin like a finish coat you'll be able to finish coat straight over it. The epinamal primer does require a certain thinner which you also will need to clean the gun.

Hi Maj

Thanks for the info...I should have remembered that Ian did post that...been doing a lot of things since that post of his but I will start to chase the paint up as I can paint everything except the fuselage as the rest of the parts are completed.

Ian if you are seeing this post how much or each paint/primer did you use on the CabSav

Mark

Hi mark

I used a full 4 litres of the super etch in which just about everthing was painted with 1 coat, about 3 litres of the primer, one coat on most things, 3 litres of the orange ( 2 litres paint + 1 litre hardner ), 2 coats were needed and 2 litres of the cream and about 0,5 litres of Black. Also used lots of elbow grease!!!

I'll try for a photo again soon

regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Paint is much heavier than water that calculates to 12.5 litres at say 1.5kg per litre..probably heavier thats pretty much another at least 20kg in weight. Then again it should give excellent protection to the outside alu on the aircraft but it does show how much weight you can add in paint. No wonder we see a lot of savs without paint in europe as they are limited to 450kg in a lot of countries there

Mark

Guest Maj Millard

Mark, The weight of paint on say a Savvy, is inconsiquential compared to the exterior corrosion that you would have to deal with during the life of the aircraft, if you don't prime and paint it well.

There is nothing better as the first barrier against corrosion on an aircraft, than a good sound coat of paint !...............Maj...

Hi Maj

Yes I agree mine will be painted with your system as I believe experience is the best teacher and if you use this system and your aircraft are in such a terrible environment for alu structures and you have found it the best it is what I will be using. I will chase up the paints here next week...I am going to Mission Beach for 4 days later this week to help a mate celebrate his birthday we are leaving for Cairns on thursday this week then off to see Tom the Outback Aircraft owner in Mareeba to see how his Savannah S build is coming along then down to Mission Beach for a rest and party fo a few days :) . When I get back I will chase it all up then. One thing I will do is also run a sealer between the side skins and the bottom corner outer right angle rails. Steve Donald has done this on his Sav he is building I thought it was a good idea to stop gravity weeping in any moisture into the bottom of the aircraft though the sides he is a LAME and if he thinks its a good idea then so do I. But I will be sparingly using the paint. In my first job out of school I used to spray paint paint XC falcons at the ford factory at Eagle Farm for 12 months before I started my apprenticeship as a sparky.

Mark

But I will be sparingly using the paint.Mark

Mark,

Before you fret about adding 12.5 kg of paint to your project consider as Ian did that some of it misses the mark but also that a large proportion of the weight of the paint is also organic solvent which is volatile and will evaporate as the paint cures.

Steve...

Hi Ian

Pics look great I love the tail motif

Great to see it flying. Did you fly her to the show?...are you happy with the performance? Who did the initial flight Maj?

Blow by blow description on inital flights and the trip to the airshow would be good

Mark

Hi Mark

I did the first flight on friday afternoon, then a couple of hours on sat after work and flew into the airshow very early sunday morning. So far all is going well, over 5 hours and 25+ landings, nearly got the landings sused now. Very easy to fly but much faster than the drifter!!!! very happy with the whole thing at the moment:cheezy grin:

After spending so much effort to build it there is no way I'd let someone else test fly it! A good idea to get lots of flying in to get current first though.

Guest Maj Millard

Congratulations Ian also , a job very well done.

Kyle, on the subject of first test flights on a newly built aircraft. There is unfortunatly a history of crashes or incidences on first flights of newly built aircraft of all types. The one recently at Warrick is one unfortunate example, it appears. The results can be evenly split between equipment failure, and pilot inadequecies. It is a history to be very aware of, if you are about to test fly any new aircraft.

In Ians case, he is an experienced pilot with good initial training, and 400+ hours in his Drifter. We covered the aircraft side of things with several in-depth inspections, as are required under the RAA amateur-built system. Ian and I had several conversations over cups of tea, about what the Savannah is like to fly, the differences between a Drifter and a Savvy in respect to approach profile and speeds, and what to expect and check on a first Savvy flight.

I can certainly understand Ians' desire to perform his first flight on his new aircraft personally, as I have experienced that unique pleasure myself.

You must however make sure machine and pilot are up to the job, and Ians' success shows that in this case, they both were......Hats off to Ian for the quality job he has done on his Savvy XL, and kudos to him also for the way he has attacked the fly-off period as required under the 19 amateur-built system.....For all builders or repairers, it is imperitive for safety reasons to have a second experienced person check your work prior to first flights. Familiarty breeds contempt !,and even the most experienced builder can, and has missed critical mistakes. There is no substitute for a second set of eyes......................................................................................................Maj...

Hi Maj

No problem with the explanation...I will be getting a experienced Sav flyer to test fly mine when its ready...probably Bill Grieve as he has so many hours in savs its not funny he has a factory built one now same model as mine and is doing training in it so he would be my prime candidate for the test fly. I need to get quite a few more hours under my belt yet. I didnt realise ian had so many hours up

Mark