• Please read this important announcement HERE

Sonex cowls - warning

C

check-in

Hi Sonex owners. Just a word of warning if you have standard engine cowls all held together with piano hinge and wire.

I had the bottom wire creep forward during a two hour flight until it eventually snagged on the trailing edge of the prop. Lucky I was throttled back on final approach when it finally did it, because it took quite a chunk out of the prop, which then propagated into a long split. At climb or cruise power it could have been a lot worse.

As well as needing a new prop, I now need to find a way to secure this wire. The way mine is set up, almost any of the other wires would not find it easy to part company. Suggestions, anyone?

Q

Qwerty

If you leave a short length of piano wire hanging out, bent at 90 deg, you can flex it back and rotate it sideways to secure under a small hook or clip riveted to the cowl.

Any help?

Q

Qwerty

Bend a loop in the end of the piano wire and fix it to the cowl with a screw, dzus etc

C

check-in

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to ditch the bottom wire altogether, but fitting a new wire long enough to bend back under a clip sounds simpler.