Where to hold the RAAus AGM

Admin

Where do you think the RAAus AGM should be held?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you think the RAAus AGM should be held?

• Leave it at Canberra
    • Include as part of NATFLY
    • Rotate through Brisbane / Sydney / Melbourne
    • Rotate through a number of RA-friendly airports
    • None of above but commented below
    • Not interested in attending an AGM

I voted none of above because I really don't know!! Maybe NATFLY would have the best chance of getting bums on seats. Not sure about rotating through different cities or regional areas - but you can come to WA if you like. I'm not likely to attend an AGM anywhere although I'd go if it happened in WA, purely for the curiosity factor. I like the idea of website based voting as it makes my participation much easier.

Pud

Guest ozzie

I voted for Natfly as it would be the best location for a good attendance by members. As for Canberra, really past attendence numbers should point out that you would have to be really dedicated to go there for just a meeting, hell most of the membership can't be bothered to mail an enlvolope to the place let alone drag themselves there.

plus i get the feeling that the current setupof the board prefer not to have pesky members butting in, so Canberra suit them.

As a second choice i would prefer to see it at a different location every year to give every one a chance to see how their association works and to meet the big hitters.

The APF have been doing this for years and it works really well and is never short of a crowd no matter where it is held. Even if not part of Nat fly an annual convention similar to the APF's event would be great to build on.

With the attention that has been given to 'issues' in the recent past i can see some postive changes coming for the way things are run and not matter where the AGM is held it will now be more member oriented and that will be a great positive for the future of the assciation.

Ozzie

Doesn't the Ulysses Club hold its AGM at different venues each year? Seriously I reckon that having seen even a regional parliament hold a meeting in my local area recently that having a board meeting in your area could be a very good opportunity for Recreational (or Sport) Flying if handled correctly.

But... I think we have to keep in mind that the board members are elected after volunteering to do a payless job... its got to be convenient... and we pay for their transport and accommodation costs... so its got to be cost effective.

Guest ozzie

Considering that board members are scattered across the country, the cost would be comparable to get them to any state as it would be now to get them all to Canberra.

Getting every one to say Brisbane would be easier than getting them to Canberra as there would be few direct flights if any to Canberra from most major capital cities.

Yeah... its a bit disappointing but certainly understandable cfi...

I used to think that the Ra-Aus board was like a management committee whose role was to listen to the members and act upon those interests but recent events lead me to believe that they are more like the Starship Enterprise... boldly going where no board has gone before with their stealth mode activated.

So its probably pointless discussing it.

I'm a self-confessed Luddite but it seems that if we can establish the mechanics for distant member's internet voting (live streaming?) then the natural venue for maximum member participation at the AGM would be NatFly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Steven Runciman
Yeah... its a bit disappointing but certainly understandable cfi...I used to think that the Ra-Aus board was like a management committee whose role was to listen to the members and act upon those interests but recent events lead me to believe that they are more like the Starship Enterprise... boldly going where no board has gone before with their stealth mode activated.

So its probably pointless discussing it.

Win,

Not pointless at all. Some board members do monitor this site to get the feeling and thoughts of members and some even contribute from time to time!

Steve

I voted rotate through Bris/Syd/Melb as these are the easiest places to get to from anywhere and when there is a set date weather issues & venues should not be too much of a concern as they could be by holding it at Natfly or RA friendly aerodromes

PS...the Poll has been running for 3 days and attracted 31 votes....where is the interest from the other 8969(+/-) members?????????

This is meant to be a recreational flying site, not an RA Aus site, so I suspect that is why there are few replies. Most member arn't here and those that are want to talk about planes not boards.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote for Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne simply reflects the ease and (usually) availability of cheap commercial flights to the big cities. Temora costs a fortune to fly to unless you go in your own aircraft and can rely on VFR all the way! We are RA-Aus remember - I can't fly my Sportstar with an Instrument Rating - so the 'RA-Aus friendly field option" is impractical as well for the same reasons.

Guest pembs

AGM should be rotated around all the states to give the oppertunity for everyone to attend at least once every few years without a masive hole in your pocket....fair oppertunity for all

Guest davidh10

Well, I've though long and hard about this question. It is easy to choose an option that looks, on the surface, equitable or simply changes the status quo, but what real benefit do members get...

Having it as part of NatFly would definitely make the "decision to attend" less of a barrier, for those who attend NatFly. Having said that, NatFly has a completely different purpose, so if it isn't held there, then I don't think the location really matters.

AGMs are usually boring unless there is something controversial to be voted on, or the organisation has done something that has angered a goodly proportion of members. In the former case, a proxy vote is available to all, and they can decide whether it is worth attending in person. For the latter case, if the motivation is strong enough, a proportion of people will attend if they can to ask awkward questions. The reality is, however that while many may feel aggrieved by a particular topic or proposal, very, very few will take that to the point of standing up in a meeting to put their opinion or ask the appropriate questions, even given the opportunity.

While the idea of moving it around capital cities sounds appealing on the surface, attendance is motivated by interest in the agenda items more than just a curiosity to "see what happens". Board members have a responsibility to get out and meet with members quite aside from the AGM, so I don't see that as being a reason for attendance.

To make it easier for members to attend, RAA could do what some public companies have done. Video-link the AGM to venues in selected capital cities and provide two way audio, so people in the remote venues can ask questions. In addition, have venue staff or some sutable contractor collect and report on votes at each remote venue, back to the master venue. Needless to say, this would just be a big waste of money if only a few people turned up, so you would want a reasonable idea that the interest level warranted it. A poll in the magazine, perhaps.

I'd like to see it go around the eastern capitals (due to cost) with the option of going elsewhere subject to demand etc. A year ago Rod Birrell actually suggested somewhere around Brisbane for the next AGM then Melbourne and so forth but the idea didn't proceed too far.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...