New Australian Kit?

I just read that a certain radial engine manufacturer will be marketing a kit. A composite version very similar to a Stinson Reliant. 30ft wingspan, 20ft long. 47 inch wide cockpit!..110 or 160hp. .. Looks just fantastic. I don't know how far along the development is. news said 2013.. I await with baited breath.......Kitfox order is on hold for the moment....

• Like 3

Guest Maj Millard

The Stintson Reliant has one beautifull wing that's for sure. The fine old gentleman who owned and operated the UL field in Northern California where I flew in the 80s and 90s, had a beautifull red and black one in his hangar. When he passed away one night in his sleep, it was the first of his many planes to dissappear !.

He wasn't really convinced 'Reliant' was the right name however for the aeroplane, as he had dead-sticked one or two during the war, when he flew them for the US Army Air forces.

They are built like fine furniture, even the cabin doors are a work of art...................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Doesn't look like the 'gullwing' reliant...............pity............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Doesn't look like the 'gullwing' reliant...............pity............................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

That is a real shame, the unique wing shape is such a big part of the character of the original Stinson Reliant.

I don't want to appear pedantic here, but the beautiful, unique gullwing wasn't on the original Stinson Reliants. It was on the SR7 and later models. Prior to the SR7, the wings with the two wing struts shown in the photo above is what the original Stinson Reliants had.

I know... Sorry... It's the way I was brought up... My dad used to tell me, "If you're gunna say something, Son, try to make bloody sure it's right!" ... My psych tells me I'll get over it and be able to forgive the old bastard, and then be able to live a normal life one day....

074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

The beautifull 'gullwing' must be extremly labor intensive to build with double taper both in length, and thickness. There would be no two ribs the same. But what a wing to look at, and no doubt to fly. Beauty doesn't come without effort.

Hopefully once they get things rolling here they may offer the 'Gullwing' in lue of the standard 'Hersey bar' wing. Probabily not a lot of difference in the fuselage anyway..................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

gull wing would be easy with composite...

It is even possible to mould in the rib pattern, this is done on some of the high end composite r/c models.

Guest Maj Millard

Do it !...it'll fly the same I reckon. Iets put that great shape back in the air, i for one would love to fly one......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Now that I have looked at the pictures I can easily see why the "Gull Wing" version is so popular. The differences are subtle but the overall effect is very nice. The single strut should be easier to manage, plus the gull wing bit doesn't look too complicated to fabricate either.

• 5 months later...

Isn't it marvellous how a plane that has been around for about 15 years and failed to hit the mark, now has people jumping out of their skins just because the front windscreen was changed and a radial put up front to make it look like an 80 year old plane; (which hopefully will get a lot more support and sales than the original).

The original plane itself was a great plane and a credit to it's designer/manufacturer and I have always been bewildered why their wasn't as many of this great design flying as there are Jabiru's especially here in Aus.

I don't know if it was a downfall in their marketing strategy or what that failed to get the original into the sky in masses but I do hope this new formula is spot on.

I have known the designer/manufacturer for years and he is a very nice guy who has done a lot for recreational aviation in Australia.

And NO, I will not disclose any more details about the designer and the Stinson project, all will be revealed soon by them in due course.

• Like 1