Excellent Savannah on the market

rankamateur

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reg is selling his pride and joy?????... what does he want to build or buy next? Do you know?

Factory want him to have a factory built demonstrator, it is hard to love two planes enough at once. A bit like wives I guess, a harem would have it's challenges.

Well the engine is from a ex predator drone. Reg's Sav is a beautiful aircraft. And 2 girlfriends would be very hard to manage unless of course they lived at 2 different abodes

The fuel injection system didn't see any service in the drone. Mark have you got VNE figures etc. to share with Downunder, yours would be the same. Don't think the 124 Kt VNE was in back then.

The fuel injection was new I think your right... just the motor was one that that guy in the USA was selling out of Predator drones he would rebuild them although I think they were all basically new engines after the drone service. I know Reg's engine runs like a swiss watch and has heaps of power. Mine is actually 108 knots for VNE at 560kg but I believe there is no difference now they have been spec'd to 600kg they are the same as the latest XL and S once they have been upgraded to the 600 kg so it would be the 124kts now but I still only use the 108 as my VNE

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I have spent hours and hours sitting in it with absolute confidence, until Reg pats it on the dash over tiger country and says "Nice Mr Rotax" just to encourage it to keep playing nice, then I am reminded that even a Rotax can stop.

A lot of extremely neat riveting on it too. It was No.2 in a group of three built together, It was very valuable building experience. I wish it wasn't so long ago, I would love to be able to see as well as I could back when we did them. If so I would probably be able to read the labels on my harnesses.

Well the engine is from a ex predator drone. Reg's Sav is a beautiful aircraft. And 2 girlfriends would be very hard to manage unless of course they lived at 2 different abodes

Where is the market for these? Where do you buy them?

The guy doesnt do it anymore although one would think there are a lot more drones around now. I did have a link to his site a few years ago but he stopped doing it...dont know why..maybe pressure from govt

I think it may have been this website: http://www.customflightcreations.com/id26.html

It's a pity that they have stopped doing this but I suspect that the You-Knighted States military folk had a whisper in the ears of Custom Flight Creations, especially after the Russians started to use Rotax engines in their own drones.

http://sputniknews.com/analysis/20110811/165713287.html

excellent article on the ruski drones

I noticed that the Russians also chose Rotax engines: a vote of confidence for sure.

They obviously selected the Rotax after rejecting the D-Motor, UL Power, Jan's Viking engine and, dare I say it, the Jabiru. 097_peep_wall.gif.dcfd1acb5887de1394272f1b8f0811df.gif

Rumour I heard was that it was Rotax putting the hard word on the US military.

Was affecting their new engine sales.(or could potentially)

I think the engines are now destroyed or returned to Rotax.....

Which is a shame as the engines are replaced at relatively low hours I believe.

• Agree 1

Rumour I heard was that it was Rotax putting the hard word on the US military.Was affecting their new engine sales.(or could potentially)

I think the engines are now destroyed or returned to Rotax.....

Which is a shame as the engines are replaced at relatively low hours I believe.

That is also what I heard but I think I heard it from old Koreela so not sure how reliable the info was:amazon:022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

The guy doesnt do it anymore although one would think there are a lot more drones around now. I did have a link to his site a few years ago but he stopped doing it...dont know why..maybe pressure from govt

The defence department stopped putting them out to tender, they go to scrap now instead! Obviously the US Rotax importer is also a congressman.

• Agree 1

You're going to fit an Airmaster prop?

Like 3 point door locks, I was never going to use anything else. I love them. I am 6'3" tall and found travelling in a VG with an Airmaster prop more enjoyable than travelling in the first XL we built in Australia with a standard prop. Both those planes sold with in a week so the maroon plane was built but it had to wait until second in the cue, was the middle one in the batch of three.